Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2005 8:04:36 PM EDT
It's for my Glock 36.  Anyone tried one of these? It's between this ond the Galco Small of Back holster.  They say that their 'Millenium' models look, feel, and smell like leather, but last 10 times longer.  Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
i don't care for sob carry.  good concealment when you're standing, though.  when you're driving, forget it.  you don't have a prayer for a draw.
i also would'nt want to fall on my back with one there (spine).  and they're real hard to protect from a gun grab if you're discovered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Placing a solid object against your spinal column is NOT a good idea.  Not to mention the tactical reasons already listed above.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you fall or are pushed backwards there is a significant chance of damaging your lumbar spine.  For this reason i cannot recommend SOB carry.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here we go again. Don't carry SOB because you'll break your back, it will cause you to tip over and fall right on your back, cause you to become unstable and break your back, cause the baby Jesus to cry, cause starving children in Africa to never be able to eat again, cause the stars to align and the earth to open up and is right up there with "stepping on a crack and breaking your mother's back" kind of thing.

Where are all these "broken back syndrome due to small of back carry" that you guys point to? Did the AMA or CDC do a specific study on this or are you just spouting off garbage on something you know nothing about?

I used to carry a butt pack and/or poncho SOB when I was in the Army. I used to have to crawl over a 6 foot wall and fall flat on my back to clear the wall with the smallest profile. I carried all kinds of crap in that pack. Never broke my back then. My little G27 is not going to break my back any worse than my Army TA-50 gear, which never happened. When I’m carrying, I try to stay away from being flat on my back. Is that something you guys do often while packing, being flat on your back?

niceguymr,

SOB is not a bad way to carry, contrary to the garbage you may see here but would not be a good idea to use as a primary means of carry - especially if you are driving or sitting for any amount of time. I carried SOB as a backup firearm while using a shoulder holster (another hated way of carrying) and it worked well for me for many years. Never caused me to fall, break my back, become sterile - but my hair started falling out. I don't know if SOB carry causes hair loss or not. Try at your own risk.

Many, many persons here will tell you that you can break your back however it will be just opinion and innuendo and not based on any actual fact. There is risk to anything you do in life. You can break your back without touching a firearm or you could have an ND and bleed out. You could die in a car accident or choke on a Big Mac. Hell, you could die from an infection from a paper cut. I'd like to see a case where somebody broke their back carrying a firearm SOB. Chances are there is no documented case.

Good luck and sort through the crap and do some research. I have many Glaco rigs including the one you are looking at. Great holster, and yes, I did have a G36 when they first hit the market.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here we go again. Don't carry SOB because you'll break your back, it will cause you to tip over and fall right on your back, cause you to become unstable and break your back, cause the baby Jesus to cry, cause starving children in Africa to never be able to eat again, cause the stars to align and the earth to open up and is right up there with "stepping on a crack and breaking your mother's back" kind of thing.

Where are all these "broken back syndrome due to small of back carry" that you guys point to? Did the AMA or CDC do a specific study on this or are you just spouting off garbage on something you know nothing about?

I used to carry a butt pack and/or poncho SOB when I was in the Army. I used to have to crawl over a 6 foot wall and fall flat on my back to clear the wall with the smallest profile. I carried all kinds of crap in that pack. Never broke my back then. My little G27 is not going to break my back any worse than my Army TA-50 gear, which never happened. When I’m carrying, I try to stay away from being flat on my back. Is that something you guys do often while packing, being flat on your back?

niceguymr,

SOB is not a bad way to carry, contrary to the garbage you may see here but would not be a good idea to use as a primary means of carry - especially if you are driving or sitting for any amount of time. I carried SOB as a backup firearm while using a shoulder holster (another hated way of carrying) and it worked well for me for many years. Never caused me to fall, break my back, become sterile - but my hair started falling out. I don't know if SOB carry causes hair loss or not. Try at your own risk.

Many, many persons here will tell you that you can break your back however it will be just opinion and innuendo and not based on any actual fact. There is risk to anything you do in life. You can break your back without touching a firearm or you could have an ND and bleed out. You could die in a car accident or choke on a Big Mac. Hell, you could die from an infection from a paper cut. I'd like to see a case where somebody broke their back carrying a firearm SOB. Chances are there is no documented case.

Good luck and sort through the crap and do some research. I have many Glaco rigs including the one you are looking at. Great holster, and yes, I did have a G36 when they first hit the market.

Thanks for your input.  I purchased the Desantis model and it fits great and is comfortable.  I've driven with it and it's tollerable, but I can always just remove the gun for a little extra comfort while behind the wheel.  When not sitting back in a chair, it's really great for concealment because is leans the grip of the gun into the body so it's not even noticeable under a fairly snug tshirt.  I would have bought the Galco, but the Desantis was almost half the price.  It's a nice piece of leather, well constructed, and so long as it doesn't give me any problems, I'll stick to that model.  I also have another Galco Silhouette High Ride holster that I can wear at 3 or 4:00 for whenever I decide I don't want it at the center of my back.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I carried my Kimber 4inch for several years in an SOB holster, and can only suggest that you try something different. I stubbornly chose to carry SOB no matter what anyone else said, and though sometimes it is the best and most comfortable, it is not always the best method. Try out the IWB and a standard belt holster if you haven't. It may be worth it to you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
though sometimes it is the best and most comfortable, it is not always the best method.

Is there truly one single holster that's the best for ALL purposes?  I don't really think so.  That's why I have more than one for each pistol.

As much as I like the concealability of the IWB holsters, down here in South Florida where it very hot and humid, it's much more comfortable to carry a belt holster.  I've been using the SOB now for about a week and a half and it has been quite comfortable and have had no problems with concealment.  My biggest problem with the IWB holsters is that pretty much all of my pants are just snug enough along the wasteline that adding an IWB holster would make my pants feel a little too tight, and thus, left comfortable.  I don't want to upgrade my entire wardrobe, nor do I want to be constantly reminded that I'm carrying by the feel of the gun digging into me.  I'm not saying that I'll only use the SOB holster always, just that it seems like the best and most comfortable option for me MOST of the time, and when I need something different, I'll use something else instead.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I carried my Kimber 4inch for several years in an SOB holster, and can only suggest that you try something different. I stubbornly chose to carry SOB no matter what anyone else said, and though sometimes it is the best and most comfortable, it is not always the best method. Try out the IWB and a standard belt holster if you haven't. It may be worth it to you.

You are correct. SOB is not always the best method to carry. But it's not the worst. I have carried many methods over the years. Pager Pal, IWB, Paddle, Shoulder Rigs, bareback (no holster), pancake, crossdraw, off body carry, ankle carry. I have many holsters in my collection. One thing I've learned is that if you buy good quality, you only buy it once. All my leather stuff is reputable. My main rig always returns to the shoulder rig and SOB for backup gun.

I make my own Kydex stuff and am starting a company to produce it. I also spent tons of cash buying the cheapo ballistic nylon stuff years ago. I'd stay away from that as it offers no real protection for the firearm and no real support. You need to stay away from the cheap metal clips and nylon loops for attachments to your clothing.

Kydex will offer the fastest presentation and under some conditions, the best concealment.

Whatever you choose, dry practice with it to get used to it. It should become second nature to you. Some instructors suggest you draw more than 100 times to get the feel for it. I add drawing, sight alignment and dry fire to that, as well as shooting while on the move and movement to cover. You should add to that plenty of mag changes.

Good luck and be aware of where your muzzle is at all times. Sweeping innocents is just bad manners.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i don't care for sob carry.  good concealment when you're standing, though.  when you're driving, forget it.  you don't have a prayer for a draw.
i also would'nt want to fall on my back with one there (spine).  and they're real hard to protect from a gun grab if you're discovered.

whs /\
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whs /\

Still looking for all those Para and quadriplegics laying around who broke their backs from SOB carry. I still think your chances are greater having an ND/AD or getting into a car accident than getting a spinal injury due to SOB carry. Count me as a statistic of carrying SOB on and off for 15 plus years and never, ever coming close to having a spinal injury. Maybe I'm an exception. Maybe I'm the only one who has carried SOB and never broke my spine.

If I carry SOB as a primary while driving, I pull it and place it elsewhere so that I can get to it if needed. But then again, I only use SOB as a backup firearm. I sometimes transition it to a Galco ankle holster while driving.

Everybody is different and that is why there are many holsters and carry variations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

whs /\

Still looking for all those Para and quadriplegics laying around who broke their backs from SOB carry. I still think your chances are greater having an ND/AD or getting into a car accident than getting a spinal injury due to SOB carry. Count me as a statistic of carrying SOB on and off for 15 plus years and never, ever coming close to having a spinal injury. Maybe I'm an exception. Maybe I'm the only one who has carried SOB and never broke my spine.

If I carry SOB as a primary while driving, I pull it and place it elsewhere so that I can get to it if needed. But then again, I only use SOB as a backup firearm. I sometimes transition it to a Galco ankle holster while driving.

Everybody is different and that is why there are many holsters and carry variations.

yup, everyone has an opinion.  i guess i won't pay attention to what my chiropractor says about them.  oh, by the way he's a former cop from the 60's and 70's and FWIW he told me that he knew a guy on the dept that injured his back & medically retired while wrestling w/ some dirtbag.  they were required to wear hand cuffs at the small of their back (uniformity).
i don't know if this guy was a ninja/ judo expert but i would hazard a guess that sometimes you don't get to choose how you go to the ground.  i didn't see documentation i'm just repeating what he told me.
if it works for you, great, do it.  
i personally don't like switching back and forth to different places all the time because i like to have those muscle memories going to one place rather than going, ok, where did i hide it this time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a Galco SOB for my Sigs, and it works very well.  Can't comment on the others, but I like mine.  I very rarely carry SOB, due to the discomfort of having to sit down in a chair, but it does conceal very well with an unbuttoned sports coat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I use Galco SOB for my USP Compacts. Those have large grips and I use the extended magazines. I wear mine right of the center of my back. Just far enough over that the grip
does not stick out but it is fast to draw that way. That also allows me to draw while driving,
much easier then a hip holster.

I can conceal these with  a loose untucked shirt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the Desantis "Tuck This" SOB holster occasionally - when dress or situations warrant it. It's not my preferred method, but I'm fine with it and the holster is very nice. I can draw pretty quickly from it, and it mostly disappears even when sitting.

I also don't buy the "broken" back hokem. Never known, ever, anyone or heard of anyone who suffered a broken back from a CCW in the small of the back. It may have happened, but with the same frequency that the kid that played "Irkel" gets sexed down by 4 girls at once. In other words, it's not damn likely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top