Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 5:49:05 AM EDT
I finally fled Maryland after 11 years and escaped to Pennsylvania.  2 weeks & $19 later, I have a CCW.  Now as a good little plebe in Maryland, a knife was all we could pack, so I'm new at this game.

I am committed to carrying as much as I can, as a civic duty as well as protecting my family.  I say as much as I can since I travel to maryland and secure facilities quite a bit, and a CCW would be a no-go on those days.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'4", about 280 lbs, round stomach, but not flowing of the pants.  Summertime, I like shorts & a t-shirt.

I already owned a full sized Kimber custom classic stainless 1911, a Glock 17, a Kahr micro K9 and the wife's Beretta Tomcat .32 acp.  I decided I wanted to carry something better than a 9mm, but that my full sized 1911 was probably a bit much.

So, at a  recent gunshow I picked up a Kimber Pro CDP II, full sized grip, 4" barrel.  Based on the recommendations at the show, I got a Mitch Rosen Workman Express IWB holster, and the extra angled clip for it.

I've suited up with this rig a couple times, and it's a little uncomfortable.  For starters, using an "appendix (front)" carry, you end up with a cocked-n-locked 1911 pointed at the family jewels, and you need to keep moving it around for comfort as you change positions.

I've heard enough bad things about kidney (rear) carry, plus the gun seems to really print through a t-shirt doing that.

I'm finding myself NOT carrying (the last few days) due to the discomfort, etc.....   Excuses.   So, what advise can you folks provide to help me live with carrying on a daily basis?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I would carry the Khar micro 9 using an IWB=inside the waistband holster since you already own the gun and it is a fine one indeed.
The issue of carrying a big verse small bullet is really pointless to me the only thing that really matters is you train, train, and train with the caliber you do carry to become the most proficient you can with it.
The first rule of gun fighting is to have a gun regardless of caliber, now this sounds like a no shit common sense rule but it is better to have the Khar micro nine on you than to have left the 1911 at home.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Since I bought a holster (different brand) for the Kahr also, I decided to try that at lunch today.

It rides higher out of the pants than the compact 1911, and since it's small it was more comfortable.

The only real problem was stability.  I think I need to get a belt that is better suited for CCW.  My web belt allowed it to rotate away from the body too easily.  I actually had it sticking straight out when I got up once.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're a big guy, and you want a comfortable IWB holster to carry a 4" 1911, you owe it to yourself to get a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I've got one for my Pro Carry, and it is my go-to holster in a drawer full of holsters that I wore once and won't ever likely see daylight again.

The VMII is the most comfortable, easiest concealing, most durable holster I've tried. I wear it at 3 o'clock under a bowling shirt and it disappears. The weapon sits low in your waistband so the butt isn't poking you in the armpit.

Give Allan Yoast a shout at [email protected]. He generally keeps them in stock.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
About the single most important factor is comfortable carry is the belt. Without it, even the best holster out ther will be uncomfortable. Get a belt that is atleast 1 1/4" wide and double thickness.

Contact one of the holstermakers directly and ask their advice. Call Michael at Highnoon Holsters and see what he recommends. You certainly should be able to find a comfortable way to carry either the Kahr or the Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
My two cents:

The Rosen holster is a very good discreet carry holster.  The belt is VERY important.  I have an Aker belt that I've worn for 7 years.  It has a spring steel insert that goes 80% around my waist, and keeps the holster from turning in.  Having a sturdy belt is IMPERATIVE.

I also agree that an IWB holster is the way to go, and I've been a big fan of them.  As far as positioning, I recommend that you have the holster just behind the seam of your pants on your strong side.  When I have my suits tailored, I have the belt loop placed so that the holster butts up against it.  This position also allows you better weapons retention.

I've found that for prolonged sitting and driving, this method works the best for me, and I'm rather a large guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top