Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
I'm in the process of selecting a CCW handgun and was hoping to get some advice/opinions on my choices.

I'm a pretty small framed guy (5'6", 130 Lbs, 28" waist, athletic build) and so that limits my options a bit.  I'm probably not going to be able to comfortably carry what some of you can.  Also, I'm new to CCW so I'm still learning.  I'm not new to handguns, but I'm new to CCW.

I've already got a Glock 19 that I love, and I can probably pull that off in the winter, but even with winter clothes thats probably going to be difficult for me to carry comfortably.  Its still just a smidge too big.

These are the selections I'm looking at so far:

Glock 26
M&P Shield
Glock 42
Walther PPS

I'm strongly considering picking up the G26 in addition to one of the other 3 choices and using the G26 when the weather and my state of dress will allow me to carry it, and the single-stack the rest of the time.

I was just wondering what your advice/opinions/suggestions were on the above choices, especially as I'm new to this.

Also, as I know there are some that will recommend the Glock 43.  I did rent one, shot it, and I just can't seem to shoot it well.  It doesn't like me.  I shot the Glock 42 fine...the Glock 26 fine....but the 43 just doesn't like me.  It felt 'snappy', but not that much worse than any of these other small guns.  I'm not sure what it was but I was pretty horrible with it.  I thought maybe it was the stock sights (as I'm used to Trijicon HD's on my glocks) but then when I shot the Glock 42 with the same stock sights I shot it fine.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I am 6'1" 150 30" waist myself.
All the options you listed are great options I myself carry a PPS and G19 depending on attire.  Both are carried in a Comp-tac m-tac holster and Ares Aegis belt.
If you are looking for a single stack Glock I would suggest the 43 over the 42. 9 >. 380.

The right holster, right belt, and a pistol you like you are good to go.

PPS has best trigger out of the box of all the ones you listed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Where on your body are you thinking of carrying?  

I would think you should be able to do the G19 without much issue but if not, I like the idea of the G26.  You can share holsters with the 19 and swap magazines as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If a 19 is too big so is a 26. Based on width.

Just buy the right clothes and hide the 19.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Of those, shield.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Good belt and good holster will make the 19 an awesome carry piece for you with a little effort

That being said of the ones you have listed the glock 42 is the best.

And then really due to manual of arms and ammo commonality I say the glock 43.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost every time we get into one of these threads everybody gets all into the caliber , size , brand capacity , single/double stack and everybody gets all wound up with what works for them .

This is all good but the thing one can't forget is how that particular gun works for you . How do you shoot it compared to the other guns? everybody is different  . Bouncing it in your hand for two minutes at a shop or show doesn't mean a whole lot , you need to shoot it yourself.

My two cents.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm in the process of selecting a CCW handgun and was hoping to get some advice/opinions on my choices.

I'm a pretty small framed guy (5'6", 130 Lbs, 28" waist, athletic build) and so that limits my options a bit.  I'm probably not going to be able to comfortably carry what some of you can.  Also, I'm new to CCW so I'm still learning.  I'm not new to handguns, but I'm new to CCW.

I've already got a Glock 19 that I love, and I can probably pull that off in the winter, but even with winter clothes thats probably going to be difficult for me to carry comfortably.  Its still just a smidge too big.

Glock 26
M&P Shield
Glock 42
Walther PPS

I'm strongly considering picking up the G26 in addition to one of the other 3 choices and using the G26 when the weather and my state of dress will allow me to carry it, and the single-stack the rest of the time.

I was just wondering what your advice/opinions/suggestions were on the above choices, especially as I'm new to this.

Also, as I know there are some that will recommend the Glock 43.  I did rent one, shot it, and I just can't seem to shoot it well.  It doesn't like me.  I shot the Glock 42 fine...the Glock 26 fine....but the 43 just doesn't like me.  It felt 'snappy', but not that much worse than any of these other small guns.  I'm not sure what it was but I was pretty horrible with it.  I thought maybe it was the stock sights (as I'm used to Trijicon HD's on my glocks) but then when I shot the Glock 42 with the same stock sights I shot it fine.

Thanks!
]

Go test fire some of the small and mid-size Kahr 9mm or 45acp pistols. Very concealable, reliable and accurate in my experience. Have owned several over the years, and currently carry a CM 9 (summer) and a CW 45 (winter). Just because I can. Try them, you'll thank me later

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the Shield. I have one and they are excellent guns and very easy to carry.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Good Belt
Good Holster
Glock 19 since you really like it
Its easier to conceal a gun than most think. Unless you wear clothing that hugs your body.
Personally I like my shirts slightly loose fitting since I live in a hot climate.
Printing here is not against the law anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]
1 - Find a compact gun that you shoot well.  The 19 that you already have and are familiar with seems to fit that bill.  

2 - Buy a good belt and a good holster.

3 - Buy clothing that will allow you to conceal the gun.

It's really that simple.  I'm 5'8'/145 and I can conceal a CZ75b while wearing a t-shirt without any trouble.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You already own one of the best CCW pieces in existence. I would mosdef stick with the G19 and work on concealment, experimenting with different holsters and positions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glock 26
M&P Shield
Glock 42
Walther PPS

Thanks!

View Quote

I have a G19 and a Sig P290RS.  The Sig is much smaller, but not really that much more concealable.  I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for the G19 and a Quickclip for the Sig with a bladetech belt.  5'4" and um, not thin.  

The last three columns are comparing that gun with a G19 and if someone wants a copy of the excel spreadsheet, IM me with an email address.

ETA G19 vs Sig P290RS
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
You already have a G19 and like it, buy the 26 and use 19 mags as a spare, and get the Shield for deep concealment. Win-win situation and you get two more guns to add to the collection of tools.

And I hear you on the 43, the most hyped up failure. Don't get the 42, it's a .380. Get what I suggested above and buy mag-guts shield spring and follower and have a plus one round that turnss a 7 round mag into an 8 round mag, and a 8 round mag into a 9 round mag with plus one ijn the gun meaning ten rounds ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I was in this position a while ago.  I was carrying a G27, but it was a little big in some situations and really wanted a single stack for warm weather carry and lighter weight ankle carry.  In reality, I was looking for an EDC replacement.  At the time there were few options available due to the market conditions.  

For dimensions, reliability and availability I chose the PPS in 9mm.  I really liked nearly everything about the gun, but the mag release created a negative habit transfer.  Everything else I own has a button, not the trigger guard release.  For that reason, and that reason only I went back to the G27 until I was able to get a XDS .45.  

My rotation is now a XDS, G43 and G26.  I also have a G19, but it is not in the rotation because it is too big for me to conceal comfortably.  

I hope this helps>
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
G19!  You're buying into that BS about stature and concealment.  They have NOTHING to do with one another, if you choose the correct combo of gun/holster!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm shorter than you, with a 30" waist. I can conceal my G19 in an MTac at 8:30 with a spare mag IWB at 3:30-4:00 wearing shorts and a t-shirt no problem. Holster selection and position make a big difference.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G19!  You're buying into that BS about stature and concealment.  They have NOTHING to do with one another, if you choose the correct combo of gun/holster!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm shorter than you, with a 30" waist. I can conceal my G19 in an MTac at 8:30 with a spare mag IWB at 3:30-4:00 wearing shorts and a t-shirt no problem. Holster selection and position make a big difference.
View Quote
Can you do it with the exact combination in slacks and a collared shirt tucked in?

What you and 39/357 posted involves a lot of fandom and not enough critical thinking.

The G19 is no deep concealment gun, and it makes a poor choice for deep concealment when someone dresses professionally and works in an environment where CC is frowned upon.

It is not the answer here. I can conceal a VP9 easily with everyday clothes. I can't even conceal a G19 with my better clothes, so the only answer is the Shield in regards to me.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you do it with the exact combination in slacks and a collared shirt tucked in?

What you and 39/357 posted involves a lot of fandom and not enough critical thinking.

The G19 is no deep concealment gun, and it makes a poor choice for deep concealment when someone dresses professionally and works in an environment where CC is frowned upon.

It is not the answer here. I can conceal a VP9 easily with everyday clothes. I can't even conceal a G19 with my better clothes, so the only answer is the Shield in regards to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you show us where in the OP this is mentioned?  OP voiced concerns that his stature and build would make it difficult to conceal a G19.  Several posters, myself included, have shared our experience is doing exactly what OP was concerned about.  FTR, it IS possible to conceal a compact pistol in business attire, but just like in any other situation, you will have to dress around the gun.  This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who conceal carries; it's CC-101.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can you show us where in the OP this is mentioned?  OP voiced concerns that his stature and build would make it difficult to conceal a G19.  Several posters, myself included, have shared our experience is doing exactly what OP was concerned about.  FTR, it IS possible to conceal a compact pistol in business attire, but just like in any other situation, you will have to dress around the gun.  This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who conceal carries; it's CC-101.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When he asks about a sub compact and people tell him compact, there's a communication breakdown between what the OP wants and what people think he needs.

I have yet seen people actually listening to the OP in these cases. When the emotional cord get's cut, we can move on to actually helping the OP, kapeesh?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the responses, opinions, and advice.

After reviewing the posts here, handling them at the LGS, renting most of them, and comparing them to the way my Glock 19 carries I ended up deciding on the Glock 26 and the Shield.  I certainly can carry the Glock 19 if I dress for it but its very uncomfortable...especially in the car. (I'm sure I'll pick up some nifty tricks to carrying in the car and such over time, as I'm new to CCW and still learning).  Also, its alot more difficult if I'm dressed in business casual attire for work.  The Glock 19 is simply a bit too big for my frame to be able to conceal for me.  I've read of people with a 30" waist and 150 lbs or so doing it just fine, but I don't think many realize that a 28" waist and 130 lbs is a bigger difference than the numbers would indicate.  Even when picking a holster that has the weight supported by two clips, my small waist means less choices on where that thing can sit because the size of the gun and holster as a ratio of my body is relatively larger than a bigger person.  As I get better at this, read more, and learn more from the wisdom of others I may be able to carry that a bit better.

The Glock 26 may be the same thickness but the shorter grip and length I'm hoping will help alot, especially in the winter with heavier clothes.  I shot the shield very well and with lighter clothes, I'm hoping the Shield will work well in that role.  As a close runner-up, I actually really liked the Walther PPS as well it had a very nice trigger and I shot it well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top