Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 11:22:26 PM EDT
I'm relatively new to carry, about 7 or 8 months. When I started I was carrying my springfield loaded in a supertuck. I had a few times where the safety clicked off while I  was wearing it, didn't know til I went to take it off

I'm pretty sure it was because the retention on the holster had loosened and it was moving too much

I carry a ruger sr9c in an alien gear for the summer. Been very happy with the gun and the holster is pretty decent. Went to take it off tonight and safety wad off, first time this happened with this setup. I was moving around while sitting a lot this evening so I'm pretty sure that was the reason

Anyone else have this problem? I don't like the feeling, I know that even with the safety off its safe unless I pull the trigger but I don't like seeing my gun change conditions just wearing it
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My carry gun doesn't have a safety.

But seriously, can you not tell if you have proper retention?  If you hold the holster upside down with the loaded (not chambered) pistol in it, and moderately shake it, does the pistol fall out?  If so, it's probably too loose.

Having the holster cover the trigger is the real safety there anyway.  That's one thing that a holster should always do regardless of if the pistol has a manual safety or not.  If your retention is weak that's a problem though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it have the ambi safety?  If you're wearing it on your right side you may be brushing the safety lever with normal arm movements and it may have nothing to do with the holster.  But then if you're a righty, an ambi safety is kinda silly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have the ambi safety?  If you're wearing it on your right side you may be brushing the safety lever with normal arm movements and it may have nothing to do with the holster.  But then if you're a righty, an ambi safety is kinda silly.
View Quote

This has been an issue for me. I have an ambi safety and I have had it become un-safe when sitting due to catching on a park bench and a restaurant chair once. I always verify that safety is engaged before holstering and when taking it off at the end of the day. If I feel that it snags on a seat back, I will take a trip to the restroom to verify it as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Another possible fix might be the original design, stock, Colt type safety instead of the extended kind Springfield likes to install on their pistols.
I have a Springfield and I like the extended safety, but I have a Colt, too, and once you're used to it, the stock safety works just fine.  I kind of prefer it at this point and were I to carry a 1911, I think I'd just go with the stubby stock item.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Carry it with the safety off.  It only goes bang when the trigger is pulled.
Oh and trade it in for a  Glock 19
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Those extended safeties will do that in a lot of different holsters. I carry my Hi Powers in a SuperTuck. Their safeties are in a similar location and they've never been inadvertently deactivated.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's the reason I switched to the SFS system on the Browning Hi Power, back when I carried a Hi Power.  The Hi Power was, and remains notorious for a mushy safety detent.  

With the SFS system, the pistol is put in safe condition by pressing the hammer forward, and depressing the safety lever pops the hammer back up into the fire position.

The factory SFS  Hi Power as well as the SFS conversion to a Mk I,II or III Hi Power solves the mushy safety detent issue on the Hi Power.  It also gives you an easy method to determine that the safety is on (feeling the hammer position) and if it ever comes off, you can re-safe it by just pressing the hammer forward again.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is an issue.  Ambis are over-rated in practical use.  I won't go so far as to say dangerous as the 1911 manual safety is nearly superfluous.  When I carried a 1911 (with an ambi-safety) it wasn't shockingly uncommon to unholster at the end of the day and find the safety off.  However, my Sig P220 has an ambi-safety but it is much lower-profile and has never clicked off without my knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does it have the ambi safety? If you're wearing it on your right side you may be brushing the safety lever with normal arm movements and it may have nothing to do with the holster.  But then if you're a righty, an ambi safety is kinda silly.
View Quote

This.
I hate Ambi-safeties and removed them from two of my 1911's.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like you need a better holster.

It takes nearly super human effort to deactivate the ambi thumb safety on my notoriously mushy BHP mk3 when it is in the kydex that goodmedicine made for me. It will flip right off (with a positive click I may add) in either of my blade tech holsters.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a single sided lower profile safety today,  we'll see if that helps
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
One other thought for the 1911 style safeties.

I have used a center punch to make a better dimple for the spring loaded pin to fit into.

In my case it was the slide stop engaging under the recoil of a 10mm but it could be done with the safety.

Start small - a little crater goes a long way and you don't want to have to carry a mallet to slip it off  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought about that, but I am way too used to my fat single sided safety. I had the same problem with an Alien Gear IWB holster, which of course is very similar to a Crossbreed and Old Faithful.

My fix was to get a Milt Sparks VM2. Expensive yes, but the holster is fit to the gun so much better. I haven't had that problem since and it is more comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I just put one of these on my 1911 and its 10x better than the stock Springfield ones.

Wilson Low Lever TS

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I knew this would be a 1911 in an iwb holster.

Cause my own 1911s have done this until the holsters were broken in enough in the backing area that rides against the safety. Once I wore them enough they've "shaped" around the safety and now it's always engaged when I remove the gun.

Wear your gun and holster more, leave the chamber empty if you wish, and soon enough everything will be copacetic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I knew this would be a 1911 in an iwb holster.

Cause my own 1911s have done this until the holsters were broken in enough in the backing area that rides against the safety. Once I wore them enough they've "shaped" around the safety and now it's always engaged when I remove the gun.

Wear your gun and holster more, leave the chamber empty if you wish, and soon enough everything will be copacetic.
View Quote

I tried this with my Alien Gear and it didn't work for me. I also tried tightening up the retention, but I have a Springfield RO with the fat safety.

I think with the leather side not being molded to the gun it allows the gun to move a little more. I'm done with it now with my VM2. I'll probably end up buying a new kydex for it for another gun.

I do like my Old Faithful I used to use with my CZ 2075. It's just the 1911 that had problems. Good holsters otherwise.

How big is your safety? Or better yet, what 1911 do you have if it is the stock safety?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I've carried a RIA GI and a Sig C3 in a Galco King Tuck, an AlienGear V.1 and now a V.2 and all three holsters would flick the safeties off when they were new. Now they are well broken in and no longer do it. The guns are wearing their original safety levers. The Sig's is a skinny, half pad the extends forward about a quarter inch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I thought about that, but I am way too used to my fat single sided safety. I had the same problem with an Alien Gear IWB holster, which of course is very similar to a Crossbreed and Old Faithful.

My fix was to get a Milt Sparks VM2. Expensive yes, but the holster is fit to the gun so much better. I haven't had that problem since and it is more comfortable to carry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd vote for Milt Sparks VM2.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top