Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 11:40:27 AM EDT
I'll be getting my CCW soon, and need to figure out the best way to carry my full size 1911 concealed.  Eventually, I'm going to get a smaller pistol for carry, but for now I only have a 1911 and a Beretta 92.  

I'm usually just a t-shirt and jean shorts kinda guy.  At work I wear dress pants and a collared shirt, tucked in.  I live in Florida, so a jacket is pretty much out of the question.  

I'm thinking some kind of small holster that will fit into the small of my back.  I realize this is not an option for work, but I don't believe that they allow weapons anyway.  

What do you guys use, or recommend for 1911 carry with light clothing?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in a hot climate like yourself and a pistol that big is a bitch to carry, I would recommend carrying your 1911 in a IWB aka inside the waistband holster or a fanny pack aka fag bag.
A small of the back holster is not recommended because the 1911 style guns have been reported to go off when reholstering, how I cant remember why but they do. I would stick with a good IWB from a reputable company like Galco until you get your smaller gun.
How about a kimber CDP with a polymer frame they are a light 1911 officers style gun and they are sweet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.....a "fag bag" is definately out of the question!

Anyone tried that little clip that attaches directly to the pistol, under the grips?  It holds on to the waist of your pants and allows the pistol to be IWB.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
While the "best" for me may not work that well for you my suggestion would be the Milt Sparks Summer Special or even possibly the Sparks Versa Max 2. Both holsters are very comfortable, concealable, and most importantly perform their job with flying colors.

My personal choice is the Summer Special which I have used to tote a full size 1911 for some time now. A bit faster than the VM-2 they're concealment equals so my preference rests with the Summer Special. I have used this holster (and other Sparks products) more than any other system in all weather conditions, seasons, and environments. I can attest to its quality, user friendliness, and comfort under the most adverse of situations... it has been there when I've needed it most. I can not give the Summer Special a stronger recommendation.

I would strongly recommend against both small of the back style holsters and "Clip Draw". SOB holsters place the gun on your body in a very dangerous position (over your spine). If you were to fall backwards on to your gun or be pushed on to your back during a fight you could suffer severe injuries to your spine. Additionally, drawing from SOB holsters is quite precarious, especially when seated, and can often result in sweeping some part of your body with the muzzle... and absolute no no.    

Clip Draw is automatically eliminated as a viable means of carry due to the fact that the trigger is not protected.  That's just bad mojo and unless you like excitement I'd keep the trigger covered and protected.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
AJohnston,

You make some excellent points.  Do you have any links to the holsters that you mention?  Even some pictures of them would really help.  I'll try a search on Yahoo and see what I can find.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully this will work...

Here is a picture of the Summer Special, my personal favorite.
http://www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/SSpecial_large.jpg

Sparks Versa Max 2
http://www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/VM-2_large.jpg

If you have any questions about these holsters or any Sparks products don't hesitate to call them and ask. These guys are very knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't when it comes to carry gear.

Alessi leather is also excellent equipment. Lou is a true craftsman and continues to produce some of the finest gun leather available. The GWH IWB, a collaboration between Dane Burns and Lou Alessi, seems to be somewhat of a 'modernization' of the Summer Special and I currently have an entire holster rig on order with him. I can't wait to get it and ring it out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking at a lot of the IWB holsters and I really think they will work good for me.  Damn, I didn't realize that holsters were so expensive though!  Anyone have a used one that they are wanting to sell?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolf_Nazi try F.I.S.T holsters they are in New York and custom make stuff for a lot less than the other guys.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Wolf,

I live in Miami, and carry a Colt's Combat Commander.  I wear the tee shirt tucked in, usually a contasting color, and a button up shirt worn over it.  The Commander rides just behind the right hip, in a Sam Andrews  http://www.andrewsleather.com/   McDaniels IWB holster.  With good leather, you can carry a Commander, or full size Colt 1911.  Going to a baby gun is not an option I want to consider.

At work, the Commander rides in a notebook.  In all these years, no one has 'made it'.  It is important to NEVER discuss guns at work.  I avoid any and all discussions about guns.  My views are just that, my views.  I do not bring attention to my guns, or my interest in them there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
FAG BAG! .....Wow, havent heard that since my
Coco Rio days.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've carried a colt 45 most of the winter using a clipdraw.  I've never had a problem with the safety being disengaged.  

www.clipdraw.com
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ever think of trying a Kydex IWB holster?  I'm no 1911 guy for daily carry, but I carry a G-23 every day in a Sidearmor IWB holster, in jeans T-shirt and a light short sleeve shirt over (jacket style if you will).  Kydex is thinner than leather needs to be, and doesn't hold moisture.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]

........ because the 1911 style guns have been reported to go off when reholstering, how I cant remember why but they do.

Cuz some people can't keep their finger off the trigger

I've been carrying my LW Commander in one of these Safariland belt slides for 20 years. I usualy wear an oversize t shirt or a button down shirt left outside my jeans.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Now, just to give you an idea what's out there:
www.sportshooter.com/gear/holsterlinks.htm

Find something YOU like, and that YOU will wear everyday.  The weapon you leave at home can't save your @$$.  Just be advised:  something that works for someone else may not work for YOU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top