Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2015 12:49:19 PM EDT
I have been debating on where to post this but here it goes.

Dear arfcom,

I assume every one in this sub forum carries a gun, but how many of you carry any kind of medical aid on your person? I have been thinking about this allot lately and a few attempts at google didn't bring up much. I try to be an observant person but more than likely if god forbid I ever have to actually use my carry gun  possibly myself or someone else is already or about to be hurt or wounded.  I am not sure if its reasonable to carry medical supplies on me, but if it is I am not sure what I would limit myself to carrying. I already have basic medical gear in my car, gym bag, and house and I live in a decent sized city with multiple hospitals so I may be over thinking this but I still would like to know what you guys think/do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tareinco has some stuff for medical carry.  Not the actual medical devices but looking at their equipment might give you some ideas.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep a dark angel kit in my truck but nothing on me.  There's lots of stuff already on you that you can use in a pinch and then call for help or make it back to your car.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a medical/first aid bag in my car. however nothing on my person. if you had room to make it work, and youre basing it off of gun shot wounds, a tourniquet is a must have, also a form of quick clot or impregnated gauze,i assume you already have a knife, if not an EMT type shears, a needle decompression and absolutely a pair of gloves latex free gloves. another thing to think about is whom you choose to use your supplies on. obviously you would want them for yourself before others. also always make sure the threat(s) are completely disabled before performing first aid.

just my thoughts, I don't like carrying a lot on my person and don't care for cargo type pants/shorts. Most of these items would fit nice is cargo pocket though. the trunk of my car works for me.

wissota4
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry no medical stuff on me when I'm out and about.

did three backpack trips this summer last, two in the Bob Marshall and one in the Beartooths. Alone. Didn't carry any medical supplies then. not even a band aid.

spent a lot of time climbing in the Tetons this summer. Alone. same deal, no medical kit.

It's not that I don't think anything can happen. A few years ago I had a horrendous chain saw accident. I was alone. Used my belt for a tourniquet, jacket for a pressure bandage, boot laces to tie it on. Survived (barely).

I don't like carrying stuff. If I get out of the house with a gun, a knife, and my wallet I figure I'm up to max gross weight.

I'm not criticizing, you understand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a G42 in my pocket, but a G17 in an JanSport bag with trauma equipment, Surefire, and extra mag when in the car

better view... EMT shears have replaced the electrician shears, and an NPA added

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
First Aid kit and a tourniquet. Though in MY car I have my medical pouch from when I was in the Army, and in my house I have a CLS bag. It's not a medical device, but I charged cell phone is just as important IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
First aid kit in my "get home bag" in the car (or on my back if I'm in the woods).  I don't carry anything around on my person.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the input guys, I think I will just stick with what I have then. (med gear in gym bag, car, and house)
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a first aid kit in both my vehicles enough to treat till medical services arrive.  All the essentials and few extra things I find very useful in a medic kit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
In my vehicle and in our shop (business), but not on my person.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Not off duty. Keep a first aid kit in the truck though. If you are really concerned about it just pick up some quik clot, a TK, and a couple of tampons... Might seem a bit crude, but by design they are one of the most cost effective items to stop bleeding from a gunshot wound.

I know someone who got shot and even though he was carrying quikclot he ended up just sticking a finger in the hole to stop the bleeding... No vitals were hit and he wasn't really bleeding that bad. The reason I'd say tampons is if you've got multiple holes and none of them really need quik clot or a TK then you've got something to plug those suckers with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to carry an Epi-Pen injector.  I carry it in a Maxpedition knife case (I can't remember the name).  Since I already have it on me I keep the following in it:

• 4 alcohol prep-pads

• 2 individual pouches of antibiotic ointment

• 4 large band-aids

• 2 pouches of ibuprofen pills

• 2 pouches of anti-diarrhea pills

• 2 pouches of decongestant pills

• 2 pouches of antihistamine pills

I use the prep-pads, antibiotic ointment, and band-aids fairly regularly.  I don't take a lot of ibuprofen but women eat it like candy so i go through that pretty regularly.  I haven't needed the decongestant, antihistamine, or anti-diarrhea pills and usually just replace them as they expire, but I feel good knowing that they are there.

I keep slightly better stocked First Aid kits in my laptop bag for work and in my car.  So far I have lived...

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
In my work bag/man purse (5.11 Rush 12 or 24, currently), I keep a 4" Israeli bandage, H&H compressed gauze, Combat Gauze, Halo chest seal, Soft-TW tourniquet, gloves, and a boo-boo kit, all tucked away in the top front pockets of the pack.  

In my truck I've got a condor EMT pouch with a 4" Olaes bandage, Z-Pak gauze, elastic bandage, tape, gloves, Combat Gauze, Halo seal, 5x9 pad, petrolatum gauze, trauma shears, and a Soft-TW.

Tac Med Solutions makes a minimalist ankle kit that's designed to carry a TQ, Gauze or Combat Gauze, and a chest seal.  The elastic it all rides in doubles as a compression wrap.  http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/ankle-medical-kit/

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
EDC

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Dark Angel Medical Pocket D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a pretty good med kit in my car, as well as my hiking bag in the trunk with a good trauma kit in it.

On my person is a handkerchief and a belt. Those will have to do until I can get to my car.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry one from I got from Amazon.com. It is a tactical one and I only added the quick clot sponges:

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:...a needle decompression...
View Quote

DO NOT CARRY OR USE THIS IF YOU ARE NOT A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL WORKING IN A PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY

Needle decompression are not something to be done lightly. The require significant training to recognize when to perform it, and when to NOT perform it. You can cause more harm than good, and believe it or not, not ever gunshot wound will result in a pneumothorax. Creating a simple chest seal works just as well and does not result in another hole in someone or potentially cutting the artery that runs underneath each and every rib. There are a whole bunch of legal issues if you use a chest decompression needle in the field and you are not a trained responder working. Look up "Good Samaritan Act" and see what you are covered for (I'll give you a hint, not very much).

Here is what I suggest you carry (I'm a Paramedic in a large urban environment, dealing with anything and everything):

Gauze pads (4x4's)
Medical tape
Bandaids
Triple Antibiotic Ointment (aka Neosporin)
Nitrile gloves (2+ pairs, always have extras)

Carry that in a quart size zip-lock bag. That will cover your basic scrapes and cuts. If you need to bandage a bullet hole, tape the bag on 3 sides over the hole. This creates a self "burping" chest seal. This negates the need for putting a needle in the chest, and works just fine. If you need more than that, call 911. My personal med bag carries a couple extra items, but really I just carry a whole bunch of the above.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep a Dark Angel Medical DARK and pocket dark in my truck. The pocket kit goes with my on occasion. They are good to have close. Your environment has a lot to do with necessity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
A company here in Phoenix "Independance Training" sells them here.  They have training for them.

Another local company "Redwire Gear" sells the same kit in a belt holster here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top