Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2014 1:39:44 PM EDT
I know this is not a carry story but home defense.

My wife and I moved out into the country. Within 6 months, we already had a break-in in our detached garage. It was my fault really since my daughters played out there and failed to lock the window.

About 3 years ago, Friday morning around 12:30 my wife hears a rattling of the downstairs door. Our home has a walk out basement and has two doors. She woke me up and said she heard something. I told her to go to sleep because I didn't hear anything. Within a few seconds we heard it again and she quickly got up to look outside and yelled ....there are 3 guys on our front lawn. Mind you, we live in the country and we are off the main road a bit.

The first thing I grabbed was my shotgun. It is a Mossberg 500 pistol grip 18" barrel.....#4 buckshot. I always leave the chamber empty because there is no other sound to a bad guy as the chambering of a shotgun. I also live in the peoples republic of Illinois so you have to be careful drawing a gun on your own property.

My wife and I exited to our front porch, half dressed...both of us. I called 911 and told them there was a break-in in progress. A few minutes had passed...no police. I called 911 again and they said they were busy but would come when they can. I yelled "HEY"...then jacked a shell in the chamber. They immediately ceased and ran. One was caught because he had entered a car in which we knew the owner.

My point is this....it took 20 minutes for police to arrive. We had to call them twice. Legally, we had no right to shoot...but we had a tactical position over them since they were under our street lamp and we were in the dark on the porch.

Do not expect police to protect you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Were you able to go back to sleep?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
post count...check

Join date...check

OP you had a legal right to fire

but only two blasts in the air....but that #4 probably wouldn't have left anything for the police to arrest or even inspect.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know this is not a carry story but home defense.

My wife and I moved out into the country. Within 6 months, we already had a break-in in our detached garage. It was my fault really since my daughters played out there and failed to lock the window.

About 3 years ago, Friday morning around 12:30 my wife hears a rattling of the downstairs door. Our home has a walk out basement and has two doors. She woke me up and said she heard something. I told her to go to sleep because I didn't hear anything. Within a few seconds we heard it again and she quickly got up to look outside and yelled ....there are 3 guys on our front lawn. Mind you, we live in the country and we are off the main road a bit.

The first thing I grabbed was my shotgun. It is a Mossberg 500 pistol grip 18" barrel.....#4 buckshot. I always leave the chamber empty because there is no other sound to a bad guy as the chambering of a shotgun. I also live in the peoples republic of Illinois so you have to be careful drawing a gun on your own property.

My wife and I exited to our front porch, half dressed...both of us. I called 911 and told them there was a break-in in progress. A few minutes had passed...no police. I called 911 again and they said they were busy but would come when they can. I yelled "HEY"...then jacked a shell in the chamber. They immediately ceased and ran. One was caught because he had entered a car in which we knew the owner.

My point is this....it took 20 minutes for police to arrive. We had to call them twice. Legally, we had no right to shoot...but we had a tactical position over them since they were under our street lamp and we were in the dark on the porch.

Do not expect police to protect you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When seconds count, we are minutes away

You really had to put the whole racking the shotgun thing I there didn't you
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
So you left the house, went outside carrying a weapon with an empty chamber, then announced yourself and finally put a round in the chamber of your shotgun? Good thing they didn't have someone with a weapon watching the doors.

Also, PGO shotgun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OP,

do yourself a favor and rethink your actions, and get some training.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
What training? I knew all the angles of my home and have video cameras out. I also am fully acquainted with Illinois laws. Shooting up in the air would be a trip to jail.

The mistake I made was stepping out onto the porch.....I know....

That move right there...even if there was a gun fight, could still have landed me in jail.

My father and uncle were both law enforcement. ....state police...other FBI....again...I know the laws.

When we had the break in, I didn't sleep well for weeks......on this night, I was not able to sleep for months...

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The jacking the shell thing is still for effect. I worked for Dept of Corrections and the 2 things that stopped inmates cold was a video camera and jacking a shell in a shotgun. Even in your home, you cannot shoot an intruder based on that fact alone....thats Illinois. They have to pose an immediate threat to you. Now that said, it is highly unlikely and DA in our area will prosecute. Then again, it is available to them.

In Illinois, if you go to investigate something on your land and have a gun in hand and a gun fight breaks out, you could lose everything.

FYI, I have several pistols...that is the only one that does not have a shell in the chamber.

In Illinois, you are responsible for every round exiting your gun and under what circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
So you went outside.
In the middle of the night.
To confront 3 unknown men.
With a difficult to aim gun (with an empty chamber).
And took your wife with you.

Sounds like you did everything right.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Actions based on hollyweird movies.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You forgot to yell "get off my lawn".
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I was completely in the dark due to the overhang of my porch. They were fully lit up by the big light on our property. If you are out there, you cannot see anything on the porch. My wife followed me....good luck in stopping that. The way my stairs are in my house, I would likely have a disadvantage if they were in the house anyway. I'm sorry it doesn't have the arousal factor for some of you keyboard kommandos.

It appears that some of you don't know your local laws and I would advise you to check up on them before going off on anyone. It is also easy to sit back and critique others when you have never been in that situation from your computer.

One officer in the area did say that I had every right to shoot into the ground. Still, if I did that I would have likely been arrested.....and eventually released and out of a few thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You know what I know about people that think racking a shotgun is good defense?

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I will further add to the mix....I work for the state of Illinois. Any type of felony, even if there is not jail time means immediate forfeiture of your retirement and all licenses I hold with the state.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought he was joking in the beginning,
but i think he is serious....
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thing is....I live 2 miles from the center of town......I'm in the country still.....It was funny the dispatcher told me to put away the gun...

The #4 buckshot is what our local police use.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Next time leave your wife inside. Don't assume giving away you're presence by racking anything is going to prevent anything bad from happening.

You were successful because you were lucky. Not because of your actions, but because of theirs. With that serious response out of the way...

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Next time leave your wife inside. Don't assume giving away you're presence by racking anything is going to prevent anything bad from happening.

You were successful because you were lucky. Not because of your actions, but because of theirs. With that serious response out of the way...
http://politicalmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/image.png
View Quote
So 60 people shot(wounded) and 9 killed in Chitcago over the weekend and you can't defend yourself? I would do everything to leave this place. What's happened with the CCW permits in IL?

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
<--------- See where Im from OP?  Aside from the last sentence, the rest of your post (as well as your follow up posts) makes me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Leave the OP alone.

He's a victim of bad advice from cops and Fed. employees.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]
13'ers have the best stories.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Pic of half dressed wife??
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Somebody tried to get in my home in March, I was at work, wife called to tell me about it, I WISH I could have been home that night. Guy tried the front door, flashed a flash light through the windows, when he saw my daughter watching him through her window above the garage he ran and jumped in his car and tore out of there. Burgerlers gone Burgle, home invaders gone invade, evil lurks, do you have da medicine?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]
wait, I think I missed the punch line
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
You are lucky to be alive
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know what I know about people that think racking a shotgun is good defense?

View Quote

This.

And the OP doesn't know Illinois law as well as he thinks he does.

Glad it worked out for you, though, OP.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In Illinois, you are responsible for every round exiting your gun and under what circumstances.
View Quote

How do you think things work in other states?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy
He HAS to be trolling, hard.

Nobody, not even 13ers hit all those points on their own
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#30]
No...sorry to disappoint.....not trolling at all. I am sure I did a few things wrong. But I learn....and am learning. It is also easy to sit back on a keyboard and critique when you have never faced that situation other than on an xbox game.

Definitely shocked by some of the responses...the best was....picture of my wife...that made me laugh.

I live in southern Illinois. I know Illinois laws as my family is in law enforcement.

All the training in the world does not prepare....which is why even police commit bad shoots at times even with all their training.

In our CCW class, .....warning shots can land you in jail. Because the DA will view that as you not feeling your life is threatened. We were specifically taught that the only time to shoot is if you feel immediate danger to life. In fact, in Illinois, my wife has far more justification shooting somebody in the house than I do. It pretty much all goes back to state of mind here. It's the law.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy

Do you work? You have quite a high post count yourself...with very little positive feedback in that time. I spend most of my time on here reading. At my rate of posting, I will never come close to your post count with the same number of years here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Do you work? You have quite a high post count yourself...with very little positive feedback in that time. I spend most of my time on here reading. At my rate of posting, I will never come close to your post count with the same number of years here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#33]
First OP the shots in the air was a damn joke....

Second if your PD uses #4 in their issue shotguns they are fucking untrained Barney Fife dumbasses.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy

The proper way to phrase it is: Do you even work, bro?

Seriously, if you're not a troll (), arfcom 101 and some lurking will do you good.

Feedback is not what you think it is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I need some feed back, only the cool guys get it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#36]
words escape me
I'm truly happy the OP's wife survived the counter. As long as it was a learning experience...

ETA: I'll also say goodbye to this thread as it has no technical merit.
Also, I have 1 positive feedback every 3.39 months. That's about how often I would expect to positively contribute

Quoted:
I spend most of my time on here reading.
View Quote

Clearly not if that's the first time since 2013 that you've seen "pics of wife" posted
Quoted:
All the training in the world does not prepare....which is why even police commit bad shoots at times even with all their training.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure even the most hardened JBTs on here will argue that there is very little training in a run-of-the-mill department for force on force encounters. Setting speed traps and shooting dags? Maybe

read this, OP

ETA: Ok, ok. Now I'm done
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

words escape me

I'm truly happy the OP's wife survived the counter. As long as it was a learning experience...

View Quote

Get a job
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Get a job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
words escape me

Get a job

I really did need a mid afternoon laugh
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#39]
So you and the wife exited the house to call 911 leaving your daughters inside while 3 men try to get in? Come on your making us 13er's all look bad
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No...sorry to disappoint.....not trolling at all. I am sure I did a few things wrong. But I learn....and am learning. It is also easy to sit back on a keyboard and critique when you have never faced that situation other than on an xbox game.

Definitely shocked by some of the responses...the best was....picture of my wife...that made me laugh.

I live in southern Illinois. I know Illinois laws as my family is in law enforcement.LOL

All the training in the world does not prepare....which is why even police commit bad shoots at times even with all their training. Double LOL

In our CCW class, .....warning shots can land you in jail. Because the DA will view that as you not feeling your life is threatened. We were specifically taught that the only time to shoot is if you feel immediate danger to life. In fact, in Illinois, my wife has far more justification shooting somebody in the house than I do. Triple LOL It pretty much all goes back to state of mind here. It's the law.
View Quote

I give you out of  No points will be awarded and may God have mercy on your soul.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

OP is a funny guy

http://38.media.tumblr.com/cd889f111b25bb199aae7b7f1d0e5fda/tumblr_n4cld1mxuQ1tzpkfuo1_500.gif

That gif is a little disturbing.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#42]
So OP is serious.  Wow
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So OP is serious.  Wow
View Quote

I have family members that believe the whole racking thing. A certain relation of mine in central Illinois wants to get a double barrel shotgun for home defense because of the 'intimidation' factor. Talking about what happens after the second shot and something with a standard capacity mag has been met with disapproval.  :(
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread really should be moved to GD.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I went into this thread expecting a good draw down story.  Instead I get 2 pages of derp from the OP.  

OP, you made some serious mistakes.  Glad it worked out in the end but you really should get some decent training and read up on the laws of self defense in your state.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Rack that mothafuckin slide homie, bitches started runnin!

ETA:

PISTOL GRIP PUMP ON MY LAP AT ALL TIMES
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#47]
They be jackin others but they wont be jackin mine
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Should I expect my kids to be legal experts just because I am?  People who think they know the law are the same people who tend to get charged with crimes more frequently than the ignorant masses.  And LEOs are not legal experts either - they have lawyers to represent them.

Sounds like you need a dog.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The jacking the shell thing is still for effect. I worked for Dept of Corrections and the 2 things that stopped inmates cold was a video camera and jacking a shell in a shotgun. Even in your home, you cannot shoot an intruder based on that fact alone....thats Illinois. They have to pose an immediate threat to you. Now that said, it is highly unlikely and DA in our area will prosecute. Then again, it is available to them.

In Illinois, if you go to investigate something on your land and have a gun in hand and a gun fight breaks out, you could lose everything.

FYI, I have several pistols...that is the only one that does not have a shell in the chamber.

View Quote

An intruder in your home IS an immediate threat to you.  I guarantee you any one who breaks into your house knows if you're home, and if they know you're home they have intent to do harm.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread really should be moved to GD.
View Quote

Shit, I thought this was GD!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top