Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 4:24:00 PM EDT
Get it to where you can draw on a OWB without pull the pants with it? I've tried leather and tactical belts, lessened the tension on the holster. I've been wanting to take a pistol course and also carry my fullsize this winter. Dont have a problem with belts holding my pants up, just holding them down. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Grasp the holster with your weak hand, while drawing with your strong hand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Wear pants that fit around your waist without a belt.  Wear a belt that can be cinched very tight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not a great tactic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a great tactic.

That's how fingers get lost...
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a great tactic.

Your mileage may vary, but I don't have my finger anywhere near the trigger until I'm on target

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a great tactic.

Your mileage may vary, but I don't have my finger anywhere near the trigger until I'm on target

Not really about that.  More to do with having your support hand clear a cover garment and/or meet up on your chest line before pressing out.  If you are holding on the holster with one hand while drawing with the other, the mechanics become messed up.

As for pant riding up while drawing - If you pull the weapon out of the holster with urgency instead of trying to drag it out of the holster, it will break free faster and sooner without causing it to drag your pants up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of holster are you using? Do you wear your pants a little big?

I'm 5'8, slim/athletic build, and don't have any issues drawing from a OWB Serpa. I typically wear a Wilderness 5-stitch, sometimes a leather belt and jeans, BDUs, or khaki shorts. No issues with any of these combos.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious about the OP's current carry handgun, holster, and belt. I'm a skinny guy too and I've not had this problem.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious about the holster...I'm 5'9" 180lbs athletically built and have had trouble out of a couple leather OWB holsters. One that comes to mind is an old Desantis Speed Scabbard for a 1911. It's leather is weak from years of carrying and had a problem with the gun sticking to the leather inside. Simple enough fix...Buy a new holster. BTW...What kind of belt are you using?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm curious about the OP's current carry handgun, holster, and belt. I'm a skinny guy too and I've not had this problem.

No problem here. 6'2"/160#. MTAC, XD or M&P compact, and a Wilderness belt.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm 6'3 and 170.  I don't have the trouble you speak of.  Wearing pants that fit, a good belt and good holster and the pistol comes out cleanly.  

This could be a holster problem.  If the holster is too snug it may need wore in a bit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a great tactic.

Not really about that.  More to do with having your support hand clear a cover garment and/or meet up on your chest line before pressing out.  If you are holding on the holster with one hand while drawing with the other, the mechanics become messed up.

As for pant riding up while drawing - If you pull the weapon out of the holster with urgency instead of trying to drag it out of the holster, it will break free faster and sooner without causing it to drag your pants up.

I don't wear a cover garment with a owb holster

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Its a m&p full size, you might be on to something about the pants because all of mine are really sized for IWB. I dont carry the M&P IWB because I just cant seem to hide it,switched to a smaller pistol for carry.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Leather...and tactical?

Specifically what belts though?

Like the other guy said...with good equipment it shouldn't be an issue and we want to know what you're using.

And yeah...tell us how the fitted pants work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
the fitted pants help some. The belt is a boston leather and a blackhawk cqb. The real ridged belts give me issues as they fit like a steel hoop and wont conform to any shape. I'm going to try to further lessen the retention of the holster. But if I can get it to a happy medium of retention/release I may just have to look into something like a safari land thumb release.

Might just have to up the beer count.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of holster?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As mentioned earlier, if you can't draw your handgun from the holster without giving yourself a wedgie, you have a problem either with the fit of your holster or the fit of your pants. Rectify it.

+1

sounds like he needs to break in the leather holster!
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

the fitted pants help some. The belt is a boston leather and a blackhawk cqb. The real ridged belts give me issues as they fit like a steel hoop and wont conform to any shape. I'm going to try to further lessen the retention of the holster. But if I can get it to a happy medium of retention/release I may just have to look into something like a safari land thumb release.

Might just have to up the beer count.

The boston leather...it's stiff? Supports well? But rides up your waist?

I've worn a very stiff and thick belt that orbits me and adds like 3 inches to my perceived waist-line ( I spent a lot of time getting my stomach nice and firm) and it orbits me like rings to saturn..not exactly tight...it can ride up if I pull on it....but specific pressure on the weapon upwards doesn't bring the belt with it.

So if like someone said it's a leather holster...may need break in.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Its a kydex holster. The fitted pants are showing considerable promise. I'm going to try to make the retention of the holster right on the border of non existence because I think that after i cinch the belt it's increasing the retention of the holster. And I totally get the rings of saturn thing, which is why i cant use any of the belts with the insert. I really appreciate the help and suggestions guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its a kydex holster.

OK, which one?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Its one made by Hideous,just something to hold me over while I wait for my raven to surprise  me at the doorstep after Ive long forgot about it. I'm pretty sure Ive fixed my problem, If I can jump up and down and the pistol stays in the holster that should be sufficient retention for a tactical pistol course/ 3 gun. Yes/No?
I do need to find a belt with less excess or get some J-hooks for the mag carrier.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As mentioned earlier, if you can't draw your handgun from the holster without giving yourself a wedgie, you have a problem either with the fit of your holster or the fit of your pants. Rectify it.

Indeed.

<–––– skinny bastard
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its one made by Hideous,just something to hold me over while I wait for my raven to surprise  me at the doorstep after Ive long forgot about it. I'm pretty sure Ive fixed my problem, If I can jump up and down and the pistol stays in the holster that should be sufficient retention for a tactical pistol course/ 3 gun. Yes/No?
I do need to find a belt with less excess or get some J-hooks for the mag carrier.

Take your handgun.  Clear it.  Check and double check to make sure it is clear.  Insert in the holster.  Turn upside down and shake over your bed.  If it doesn't fall out, you are GTG.  If it does, you may want to reconsider the retention setting on it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get it to where you can draw on a OWB without pull the pants with it? I've tried leather and tactical belts, lessened the tension on the holster. I've been wanting to take a pistol course and also carry my fullsize this winter. Dont have a problem with belts holding my pants up, just holding them down. Any ideas?

I gained weight and got fat. Solved that problem.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top