Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2011 9:53:58 AM EDT
I've never shot a compensated Glock, and I'm thinking about getting a compensated 19 or 23 for concealed carry. I'm just wondering if the flash signature would be overwhelming in low light conditions. I had a 17, and liked it, but I'm kinda an M&P guy. I like the size of a 19 or 23 better than the Compact M&P's though. Any input you guys have would rock.

-Rarick
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Compensated is not the a good idea for the very reasons you stated. A fair share of self defense shooting happen in low to no light and even with the reduced flash of modern powders, you still will run the risk of diminishing your level of night vision.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Many self defense shootings are going to be at arms length or less when being assaulted.

The handgun will be tucked in below your chin up against your chest for retention. ( one or 2 hand bent elbow )

A compensated pistol will put all that hot gas right in your face.

It is bad enough without it being compensated. I would never choose to carry a compensated pistol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The 40 is more of a flame than you probably want. The good side is the flame will illuminate your front sight and offer you a secondary front sight, as the bottom of the V lines up with your target.

Plenty of cops carry them and there is no issue. We all hear about night vision, well, that stuff goes when you fire the first round anyways.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Mach, you raised a good point talking about shooting from the belly. I hadn't thought about that, which is of course why I get on here to enlist the advice of those with insights into these sorts of things. I like the idea, but I don't want to have to deal with the added report and flash signature. Good call men, I'll probably steer clear of any porting or compensation for a carry gun. I can't imagine employing a compensated glock in a vehicle either.... goodbye hearing. I'd be like the movie Snatch when they fire they're "extra loud blanks" in the car.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, gentlemen, I have done quite a bit of indoor low-light shooting where shooters had compensated Glock 23s and there was no significant difference of "flash" or night blindness that occurred.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The flash is a valid concern, but how about firing from close retention? Doing contact drills with a 19 is bad enough with the blast going forward- I think ports would turn that drill into a teeth rattling nightmare at the very least.

edit- maybe I should read all the posts before I post... Mach makes a point worth repeating though
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot a 23C. Its really loud.
I shot with ease though on my weak hand.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
i fired my 17c without ears once! One shot was enough to give me the EEEEEEEEEEEEENG sound for several days. It's loud as all hell.   To top it off I installed a non compensated barrel for comparison's sake and to my dismay discovered the compensator on the 17c is basically useless as tits on a boar. I couldn't tell any difference between recoil.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Been carrying a 22C for 10+ years, low level and night shooting never noticed the flash and was not blinded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top