Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 3:44:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You've answered your own question.

What can you consistently, under pressure, hit with? Anything else is a waste of your time and effort.   "A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45!"

I've known people who carry .32ACPs because they could put all seven shots, rapid-fire, in a 4" circle at 25 yds.  When they tried to use a 9mm or a .45, their groups could be measured in feet.  True, bigger is better, but too big means you can't hit someone who's trying to kill you.

Seems like of your choices, you prefer and are accurate w/ the 8-shot 9mm. Buy some quality defensive ammo and practice, practice, practice.

As for magazine capacity, remember, even a full-size 1911 only carries eight.  Just carry extra mags and practice your reloads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the deal.

Glock 19

OR

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, I had never though seriously about the 9mm.  I will have to re-evaluate the pistol.

I think I will take them all out one at a time and shoot a few hundred rounds through each and see what happens.

Does anyone know about the long tem durability of the Fire Star M-45?
Is this something you would bet your life on, or should I leave it out of the trial?

As much as people on this and other boards get into the "is a 9mm a real round" debate, I figure enough police depts issue it as a duty weapon that it can't be all that bad.  With the right kind of ammo, it is more than adequate for the task of self-defense.

Take each pistol out.   Imagine yourself under the stress of a real, no-kidding, kill-or-be-killed fight for your life.  Now, shoot two reloads thru the thing, imagining how easy it would be to dork something up because of the adrenaline rush.  

Can you operate the safety quickly enough to get it into action?  Can you do a tactical reload without too much fumbling?  Is the gun controllable?  Are the sights adequate for gunfighting?  Can you shoot it accurately?  Will it reliably feed your defense ammunition?

In short, is the pistol constructed and operated in such a way that you would bet your life on it in a pinch, and can you hit something with it?  That's what you're trying to figure out.

As for the M45--most of the reviews call it a well-built gun, but only you know how reliable it's been. I'd say if you haven't had any problems with it in the last 1K-2K rounds, it should be reliable enough.  But, only call it that after you have VERIFIED it will feed your defensive load 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Full 9x19mm will get it done if it is what you have. You already know to be selective with ammo choices. Reliability is paramount, and while it is nice to know you could call a head shot at 50yd. with the gun if needed, the vast majority of fights are very up close and personal, so extreme accuracy...which may, in some instances, compromise reliability...is not a "must have". In addition, the gun you have with you beats the pants off of the one you left behind because it was too heavy, too big, too whatever.

Of the choices you list, either the S&W 9mm or...less likely...the 1911, would probably be what I would pick. There is always the option of getting a different one as well...it IS your life under consideration here!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
run several hundred rounds through each.  you'll figure it out.  worry about where the 1st shot goes.  reliability should be your primary concern.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can shoot the small 9mm well carry it. There isn't that much difference between a 9x19, 40 S&W, and 45acp if you shoot it well. I carry a Bersa Thunder 45 because I shoot it well and it is lightweight, accurate, reliable, and inexpensive. I have handguns that are more expensive but the Bersa works for me. Regards, Richard:D

PS Don't let anyone kid you it is easier to tote a smaller/lighter handgun than a 1911. How do I know? I have been there and done that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you thought about a revovler? A S&W 640 would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on what limaxray said.... The gun you can consisently make hits with while under stress is the one for you. Of course it has to be 100% reliable. Disregard the hype and caliber wars, well placed shots are what matters. I've seen 600lb cows drop like lead w/a .22 bullet dispatched to the head.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top