Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 5:49:59 PM EDT
Any one that knows me knows I absolutely love carbon fiber!  So when I saw the new BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber Holster I just had to have one!  I figured it would be perfect for an upcoming handgun class at Blackwater so I asked Grant to order me one for my Glock 17.  I had a chance to briefly fondle a CQC at Black Rifle Day back in September and I was impressed with the holster and anxiously waited for mine to arrive.  Well it’s here now and I had a chance to use it today so I thought I’d write a “first impression” review in case anyone else has seen these holsters but has been waiting for some feedback to surface.

Here are some of the technical details, which are available @ www.cqcholsters.com.

BlackHawk! CQC Holster with SERPA TECHNOLOGY

This unique holster design allows you to forget old-fashioned thumb breaks that slow your draw and complicate re-holstering. The patented SERPA lock engages the trigger guard as you holster the pistol and won’t let go until you release it. The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body.

As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw. No awkward use of a middle finger release or thumb break to interfere with a full combat grip, the SERPA lock lets you draw the weapon quickly while establishing a full grip from start to finish.

Unlike thumb breaks, which can sometimes be difficult to fasten one-handed, the SERPA lock allows you to re-holster quickly and securely every time, using only one hand. The SERPA holster has the same speed cut and concealment enhancing design of our Standard Model Carbon Fiber Holster.

Molded from a durable resilient blend of carbon fiber and impact-modified nylon for low maintenance and high performance in all environments.

Micro fiber inlay with carbon fiber pattern gives not only a sleek, cutting-edge look, but provides superior sound deadening performance.

Advanced modular platform system for a variety of carry options included with every holster.

All hardware either stainless steel or brass for all weather performance.

All BlackHawk® CQC™ SERPA holsters come with both belt loop and paddle platforms.

The CQC comes in right and left handed and is available for most Glocks, Sigs, XDs, USPs, Beretta 92/96 and “Colt 1911”…whatever that means.

Now, onto my impressions of the holster itself:

Quality of construction is first rate.  There is no flashing from the molding, the carbon fiber inlay is nicely done and to a carbon fiber junky like me looks like a piece of rare and expensive art.  The holster comes with two modular attachments; a belt loop and a paddle style system.  Both of which have several degrees of cant that can be adjusted to fit your individual need/preference.

Since I’ve used a couple of other OWB holsters, Fobus and Uncle Mike’s, I felt more comfortable going with the paddle attachment.  It only took a few minutes to swap it out and I was off to the range!  The paddle attachment has hooks (or tabs) built into it that are perfect matches to the 1.5” Wilderness 5-Stitch belt!  In theory they should rest under the belt, preventing the holster from being pulled up as you draw your handgun.  I ran into a little difficulty here.  Getting used to the SERPA system does take a little time and at first, even going slowly I had really make sure I depressed the release mechanism.  More than a few times I pulled the holster out of position while drawing.  Early on I decide to swap out the attachment plates because of this issue so 3 screws and a minute later I was back to running drills again!

The belt loop attachment was better but I still found an annoying little issue.  The pants I was wearing, Propper military grade BDUs, have a belt loop right at the 3 o’clock position, making it impossible for me to place the holster where I like it.  Instead it sat around the 2:30 position.  Not a big deal but annoying nevertheless.  I went about running my drills, which consisted of drawing from the holster, acquiring my target, firing two shots and re-holstering.  After about an hour of this I was feeling very comfortable with the SERPA system and did notice that the literature was right; my trigger finger really did come to rest on the unlocking mechanism and as I drew my trigger finger naturally came to rest on the frame.  It really does feel natural and it’s not a struggle like the Uncle Mike’s holsters I’ve owned.  That’s probably why I had problems with the paddle attachment at first because I’m so used to jerking the gun out of the holster.  You don’t need to apply much pressure on the SERPA system to get it to release and by the end of my day it felt like I was just pulling my finger across it!  That’s not entirely true but that’s how it felt.  The CQC feels very natural to me and after 2 hours of practicing I feel extremely comfortable with it.  

I’m heading to the NRA range on Wednesday night and I’m going to try the paddle attachment again because I really like the flexibility it offers when wearing different pants, shorts and belts.  Since I carry my CCW & IWB holster at 3 o’clock it’s important to me that I maintain my handguns in that position.  My Blackwater class is on the 8th so expect a follow up review along with an “after-action” type report on the class itself.

Here are a couple of pictures to give you a closer look at the holster and attachments:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote M4arc: The belt loop attachment was better but I still found an annoying little issue. The pants I was wearing, Propper military grade BDUs, have a belt loop right at the 3 o’clock position, making it impossible for me to place the holster where I like it. Instead it sat around the 2:30 position. Not a big deal but annoying nevertheless.

Is it possible to run the belt through the back holster loop, then through the pants loop and out the front holster loop again? If that doesn't work, maybe skip that belt loop completely? Then you could carry at the 3:00. I've had to do this with a few holsters before and maybe it'll work for you.
Nice review and it looks like a quality holster.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it possible to run the belt through the back holster loop, then through the pants loop and out the front holster loop again? If that doesn't work, maybe skip that belt loop completely? Then you could carry at the 3:00. I've had to do this with a few holsters before and maybe it'll work for you.
Nice review and it looks like a quality holster.

I'll let you know Wedensday night
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top