Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 3:40:44 PM EDT
I am a pharmacist who carries a sig 228 to work under my lab jacket.  It is in a quality hoster by High Noon Holsters and is not an IWB.  What would I gain by buing one of the quality (and expensive) belts I come accross when shopping for holsters?  I currently just use a ~$25 job out of a department store.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Rigidity,  It will hold the holster in the same EXACT place every time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to mention longevity.  I have an Andrews Custom Leather carry belt that I've had for about 6 years now.  It was daily carry for two of those years while I worked at the gunshop.  It's not worn a bit, just has a bit of character.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
+1.  A good gun belt is required for a stable foundation for your entire rig.  A store-bought belt usually is not enough to hold up the weight of the pistol, and anything else you may carry (extra mags, cell phone, etc).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
A good stiff belt will help keep the holster and gun in a fixed position,  assuming the holster is a good one and is not sloppy on the belt.  Some people get more out of a stiff belt than others because of the way they are built I think and of course what they are carrying.  I carry iwb usually so a belt is even less critical.   For my kydex comp holsters, the stiff nylon belt I use has to be worn looser than normal or it will pull the top of the pistol into my ribs.    I spent some money in the past on a good custom belt and felt there were other options out there that met my needs for less money.  

Try a thin soft leather or nylon belt and you'll quickly see the difference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody have any recommendations?  Bear in mind that unlike my wife, this will be my only belt that I use.  I want it to look nice enough to wear to dinner, church, etc.  Please mention specifics and where you guys have found good deals.

Thanks h.gif
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Galdo make alot of belts that can work for a broad range of dressing styles.  They also have ones that are wide at the back to be supportive but narrow at the front to look like a dress belt.

www.usgalco.com

There are lots of other quality small makers, but in my book Galco has the best ratio of quality to selection.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
One other thing you'll get from a quality belt is COMFORT.  A good belt will distribute the weight of the pistol almost all the way around your waist, as opposed to pulling down one side or the other of your pants.  Plus, as the pistol shifts around on a non-rigid belt, it will dig into various parts of your waistline, with painful results.

I use a Galco belt, it's my everyday belt even when I'm not carrying.  My only problem with it is I got the Havanna brown belt, it's almost too light to go with any of my dress clothes.  In retrospect, I should have bought a black or russet brown belt, it would have matched my wardrobe better.

Galcos also come in at a decent price (about $70-$80 on the Internet) compared to some of the higher end stuff like Milt Sparks, Kramer Leather, etc.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I use a Galco belt, it's my everyday belt even when I'm not carrying.  My only problem with it is I got the Havanna brown belt, it's almost too light to go with any of my dress clothes.  In retrospect, I should have bought a black or russet brown belt, it would have matched my wardrobe better.

While we're on the subject....

belts don't match clothes, they match shoes, and your buckle should match your jewelry/watch.  Just remember to match like materials and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One other thing you'll get from a quality belt is COMFORT.  A good belt will distribute the weight of the pistol almost all the way around your waist, as opposed to pulling down one side or the other of your pants.  Plus, as the pistol shifts around on a non-rigid belt, it will dig into various parts of your waistline, with painful results.

Galcos also come in at a decent price (about $70-$80 on the Internet) compared to some of the higher end stuff like Milt Sparks, Kramer Leather, etc.

Milt Sparks belt is about the same price...Just that it take about 3 months to get!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

belts don't match clothes, they match shoes, and your buckle should match your jewelry/watch.  Just remember to match like materials and you'll be fine.

What is this, Queer Eye For the Straight Guy?  ht.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I can not stress enough what a diff a good belt will make.  

I use Galco becuase I have had good luck with them over the years.  But there are a lot of others that are good belts.  

With a good stiff belt your holster will not flop around as much.  This is safer and more comfortable.  Ever been in line a Walmart and move to pick something up or put something on the counter and your holster shifts and now the butt  is sticking out under your shirt?  

It will also make it easier to draw your weapon when you need it.  If you start pulling your pistol out and the holster shifts up 1/2 inch with the weapon, it is going to take you that much longer to get your weapon clear and into action.  

Practical, they will last longer since that is what they were designed to do.

You will wonder why you did not get one sooner.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which would explain why my wife has been rolling her eyes and correcting my dress every time we go out.  

Eh, it's only been 20 years...you would think she'd be used to it by now.

So, what Galco belt would match white w/black trim sneakers and a black nylon watch band?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Which would explain why my wife has been rolling her eyes and correcting my dress every time we go out.  

Eh, it's only been 20 years...you would think she'd be used to it by now.

So, what Galco belt would match white w/black trim sneakers and a black nylon watch band?

Not to get overly "queer eye" here but casual dress is a whole other issue.  I tend to be untucked most of the time so the belt/buckle color doesn't match.  Hell I wear a brown belt and a POW/MIA buckle with tennis shoes myself.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Comfort.

As mentioned, you get rigidity, stability and longevity.  All these make carrying a lot more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Try  gunleatherUSA.com.  This guy makes a nice stiff horsehide belt.  Will probably last a lifetime.  The belt is black.  

On a fashion note, it probably won't go with your white patent leather shoes and leisure suit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I was looking at more of a range/tactical belt and I decided on one from
TheWilderness.Com

But I do need more of a "queer gun for the straight one" kind of belt, thanks for the links!

Edited to make link hot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys convinced me to add a belt to my already existing order on my Milt Sparks VM2 holster that I'm waiting for. Hopefully I'll have them in about 3-4 more weeks. I went with black cowhide for both the belt and holster and the belt (1 1/4" width) will have a D ring looop and pebble grain finish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Does anybody have any recommendations?  Bear in mind that unlike my wife, this will be my only belt that I use.  I want it to look nice enough to wear to dinner, church, etc.  Please mention specifics and where you guys have found good deals.

Thanks

www.uncle-mikes.com/srchresults.asp?catky=3407251&subcatky=4548779&subcatky2=2000083

Cheap and very high quality.  It's synthetic, not leather, but it looks like leather and is very rigid.  

I bought this and a Bianchi "dress" belt a few years back.  The Bianchi never gets worn simply because it's so ugly.  The stitching is horrible and there are cosmetic defects in the leather all over.  Good sturdy belt, but there's nothing "dressy" about it.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You guys convinced me to add a belt to my already existing order on my Milt Sparks VM2 holster that I'm waiting for. Hopefully I'll have them in about 3-4 more weeks. I went with black cowhide for both the belt and holster and the belt (1 1/4" width) will have a D ring looop and pebble grain finish.

I picked up my favorite belt when ordering my Sparks VM2 as well. I still have the Galco I wore before, it does the job fine but I find the Milt Sparks to be more comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top