Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:38:19 PM EDT
Does anybody here ever use a fanny pack holster? Was thinking it might be an option when dressed casually. I suppose it would not be as readly accessible as something like a waist bandholster.  Might draw more attention now, then when those fanny packs were popular. Might not look out of place when bicycling, or something like that.  What do you guys think.?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Despite their drawbacks, several of which you have noted, I still find myself carying this way every now and then in hot weather. Just be aware that most cops, other handgun-packers, and gang-bangers recognize them on sight...especially if they are black. No doubt that waistband level carry is far better, but they have their place. Just be sure you buy a good quality model designed for this use and that has the buckle close to the pouch so no one can walk up behind you, unsnap it and make off with your gear!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
i carry one on the way to the gym, but it's a nike bag i got at sports authority.  fits my g23.

i don't use the specialized ones, with the thick bands and rip cords because THEY LOOK LIKE A HOLSTER!  

i had a buddy walk into the gym wearing one, and i ided the gun before i ided him.

i've carried a 1911 in a tank top and drawstring workout shorts using a $9 uncle mike's rig.

only excuse for one is jogging imho
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have carried a .38 in one for years, but I've never worn it around my waist. It's easy to take it to the car and such without being obvious and you can stuff a few speed loaders in it.  I use a paddle if I want to carry it. Thinking about  it, it would work well on  a bicycle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the blackhawk 5/5/10 or something like that in navy blue, its very comfortable, easy to draw, and has extra place for two mags
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the waist packs with a compartment for a portable CD player and water bottle holder.  With the water bottle, they don't look like holsters and if you are outside, the water bottle is useful.  The ones intended for CD players are padded so they hold their shape even with a gun in them.  If you want to, you can add velcro inside the compartment and use the holster that Blackhawk uses in their fanny pack.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the packs from MAXPEDITION. Two rigs they have are super; the THERMITE and the FATBOY. Carries on your strong side. Doesn't scream GUN to the kneejerk anti's. Looks like hiking pack. Great quality.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tommy's Gunpack with black and grey material.
If I wear it, I usually try to wear an untucked shirt that drapes down over it.
I think the two LARGE buckles on either side give it away as a gun carrier.

I have also worn this without a firearm inside to places like public schools, post office, etc.
I know I have been around LEO's while wearing this pack unloaded in CCW prohibited areas and yet no one has questioned me about it.
Must not scream GUN as much as some folks think they do.

I also use a Columbia Sportswear Company fannypack for a small revolver.
The problem I've found with carrying firearms in non-firearm specific fannypacks is how much more difficult it is to draw from than a gun-specific pack.

With the backpack style fannypacks like the Columbia, I get one with an outside zipper for a "hidden" rear compartment.
This way I can use the forward compartments without showing my firearm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got one of the maxpedition fat boy packs and while the jury is still out on it, I think I like it. It carries my G26 with 2 spare mags in the innermost zippered pocket. I also have my personal first aid kit, work keys and misc other crap. I've heard it or similar pouches/packs called man purses but it does the job. I used to carry a Hydrostorm pack but it was too big and bulky for everyday use. The pack also fits in the lower drawer of my desk so I can keep it locked up during the day. CCW while in the office itself isn't a real good option.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Something I forgot that I was taught once,
Make it look like you are wearing the thing for reasons other than a holster.
Put your car keys in it, a wallet, something that a non-armed person might be sticking their hand inside for from time-to-time.
Might give it away if all your personal items keep coming out of your pants pockets and you're wearing a fannypack that never gets opened.

Some folks sew on a 'sporting goods' patch like a nike, addidas, etc.
Try to find one that's different colors other than plain black, like someone mentioned above.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Look at the waist packs with a compartment for a portable CD player and water bottle holder.  With the water bottle, they don't look like holsters and if you are outside, the water bottle is useful.  The ones intended for CD players are padded so they hold their shape even with a gun in them.  If you want to, you can add velcro inside the compartment and use the holster that Blackhawk uses in their fanny pack.

hell, that's a fine idea!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The conventionl wisdom is that they scream gun, and therefore should be avoided.  I have used the same Eagle fanny pack since 96 when I got my piece and shield issued. The key is to wear it in appropriate settings.
When I worked in Wash. DC, there were so many tourists walking around, that it  didn't appear out of place.  Out in the burbs, it is more recognizeable for what it is. In the summer months, even in the burbs, alot of people wear them, so no problem.
I prefer strong side, IWB carry with an untucked shirt, jacket, etc.  Belly bands have their place as well especially under a t-shirt.  

At the end of the day, the mode of carrying a pistol is dictated by mission, weather, clothing, and related factors.  That is why I have several modes of carry available for each gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Old and now arcane info:

I used an empty "bag phone" cell phone carrier. Attached the antenna to the side and stuck my gat inside.

Old method.

Doc @ M&A Parts
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I think they were great when fag-bags were really popular and everyone had one... but now days they have lost a lot of popularity, and like the feller says above, they look like holsters.  Very easy to ID from both sides of the law.  

If you walk around wearing a fag-bag its almost like wearing a hat with a big "I gotta gun" button on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top