User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2011 5:51:01 PM EDT
anybody know?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
whatever way makes them the most money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Some are by training standards, if your standards are equal or harder than ours, we'll recognise you.  Others are a little simpler, you recognise us, we'll recognise you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems with my state that it's by whatever weed they've chosen that month to smoke on which state to recognize... they need equivalent training standards or greater...
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's however that state wrote it into the law.

Some states recognize all permits, some states direct some officer (usually the attorney general) to make reciprocity agreements according to some defined standard or at their discretion, and some states just don't do reciprocity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
States that don't recognize all other states' permits are usually done one at a time with both state attorneys general getting together and agreeing to honor each others' permits.  Our former state AG, Mike Cox, did a great job, so we can carry concealed in 37 other states, the highest level of reciprocity of any state.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some are by training standards, if your standards are equal or harder than ours, we'll recognise you.  Others are a little simpler, you recognise us, we'll recognise you.

Yes, training standards (for example, WA has no training requirement) or the age requirement (some recognize 18, others 21).
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My state handles it by telling all the other states to F off.

My state sucks.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It is real easy in Iowa.

If you have a permit from somewhere in the US it is good in Iowa.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Same for SD.

Quoted:

It is real easy in Iowa.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

This must be new.  I have friends that have been Iowa residents that lost the ability to carry in Iowa as soon as they moved away and got a permit in a new state.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

States that don't recognize all other states' permits are usually done one at a time with both state attorneys general getting together and agreeing to honor each others' permits.  Our former state AG, Mike Cox, did a great job, so we can carry concealed in 37 other states, the highest level of reciprocity of any state.

In VA it as the AG as well that worked out the agreements.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
License Reciprocity
States that Recognize Arkansas Concealed Handgun Licenses

The State of Arkansas has obtained memorandums of agreements with other states that enable valid concealed handgun license holders from each state (listed below) to carry a concealed handgun in the reciprocal state. An Arkansas concealed handgun license holder visiting one of the reciprocal states must obey all laws of a reciprocating state when exercising concealed handgun privileges. License holders are strongly encouraged to check for any changes in the laws of a reciprocating state before visiting that state and exercising concealed handgun privileges. Arkansas concealed handgun license laws do not supersede another states laws. Arkansas law requires that the reciprocal state have concealed handgun regulations at least as restrictive as the Arkansas regulations. There may be any number of reasons reciprocity agreements for concealed handgun licensing do not exist with states not found in the drop-down menu (below). The most common reasons are 1.) a disparity in training requirements, 2.) lack of specific background checks measures, or 3.) lack of pre-requisites for application.

Currently we have reciprocity with 36 other states.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
KY is real simple... if you recognize ours, we recognize yours.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This essentially.

Some states require a formal reciprocity agreement.  These agreements are usually drafted between the state police agencies, Department of Public Safety, etc. or sometimes the States Attorney General.  Other states look at the training requirements and only honor those that meet or exceed theirs, again the decision making authority is usually delegated to the states DPS (or equivalent).

In Arizona (by statute) we recognize every other state's permit, and our DPS is authorized to enter into reciprocity agreements if the other state requires it in order to recognize ours.  When we did this I think we instantly got another 1/2 dozen states that were stuck in an endless loop of "we'll recognize yours if you recognize ours first"
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

This must be new.  I have friends that have been Iowa residents that lost the ability to carry in Iowa as soon as they moved away and got a permit in a new state.

New law went into effect Jan 1, after about five years of effort.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the deal with NV, they dont like mine?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

NV is ridiculous, especially with their own requirements. They dropped UT a year or so ago.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NV is ridiculous

This.

The Nevada legislature abrogated their duties and instead assigned the matter of reciprocity to a private organization, the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association.

From an outsider's observation, carry in Nevada looks to be all about nepotism - Sheriff mandated training classes, which happen to be offered by his favorite deputies... that sort of thing.  NVSCA systematically denied reciprocity with any state that will issue to non residents, in what looks like a move to just deny carry to a lot of people, but also to potentially get more out-of-state residents into their expensive carry classes and permits.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't read the whole thread but here goes.
33 states recognize Colorado's permit. a dozen or so don't because colorado doesn't require you to shoot.

I took my CCW class this morning

I hear Utah issues like 30k permits a month, 70% to out of state residents.

Utah has their guidelines built into the state statutes so I guess that makes theirs well respected. IDK
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

How did they loose there ability to carry in Iowa???
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

Prior to 1/1/2011, Iowa recognized no other permits other than their own "may issue" permit, which was almost never issued to a non-resident.

As of 1/1/2011, Iowa now recognizes all permits on a non-discriminatory basis
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My state handles it by telling all the other states to F off.

My state sucks.

At least your state has CCW. I live in one of only two states that has no CCW of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Indiana accepts all, but doesn't get accepted as much as others because they don't require any training.

Sucks when traveling (Ohio doesn't recognize), but it's nice to not have that extra cost involved.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

Prior to 1/1/2011, Iowa recognized no other permits other than their own "may issue" permit, which was almost never issued to a non-resident.

As of 1/1/2011, Iowa now recognizes all permits on a non-discriminatory basis

That is really good to know. My job takes me into Iowa frequently and I alwas hated stopping and securing my CCW in the vehicle before crossing over
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is real easy in Iowa.

Same in Idaho.  Same as it should be everywhere "Full faith and credit"
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah a school here in Maine states in their advertisement mumbo jumbo that the Utah permit covers more states than any other one. Is that NOT true?

How do you find out exactly what states your permit covers? Do you have to check with each state individually, or can your own state tell you what other states you can carry in?

When I took my CCW class and got my first permit years back, they told us that the Maine permit does NOT allow you to carry out of state period. I let my permit lapse though and have just applied for a new one recently, so I need to find out if this has changed. Though I don't go out of state often, it'd be nice to know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah a school here in Maine states in their advertisement mumbo jumbo that the Utah permit covers more states than any other one. Is that NOT true?

For a non-resident permit, Florida covers more states than Utah.  Florida gives you FL, KS, and NM that Utah doesn't, on the other hand Utah gives you MN.  Utah is less expensive, but requires a specific training class, Florida is more expensive but good for 7yrs instead of 5 and also accepts a wide variety of training.

With the changes in their law last year, Arizona is another excellent option for non-resident permits.  They accept a variety of training options and are lower cost than Florida.  Comparing to FL and UT permits, AZ would give you KS and NM, but not WA or MN.

Michigan and Missouri appear to have the most extensive reciprocity for resident permits, but neither state will issue to non-residents.

http://handgunlaw.us/ has a nice webpage called "create license map" which makes it easy to see the differences.  Don't forget the states that do not recognize non-resident permits (FL, NH, CO, MI, SC, and ME) as none of them would be covered regardless of whether the states shows up for reciprocity or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top