Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 9:43:18 AM EDT
I have  a G21 and keep 200gr 230gr TAP +P in it. I see most people talking about Ranger, Golden Saber, Gold Dot ect but haven't really seen anyone mention the TAP line or Hornady really in general.

ETA: I made a mistake. I do have the 230gr TAP. I found the box I kept to use as a reference or evidence if ever needed. You know using reloads in a SD shooting...blah...blah...blah. So there go have the opposition.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I do. It's GTG.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't see Hornady mentioned because it doesn't perform as well as other choices (especially not the 200 Grain).

Gold Dot, Ranger-T and Federal HST are all superior choices to the TAP.   There was a thread here recently about TAP and the consensus seems to be that it penetrates adequately, but doesn't expand as much as others.   I'm not sure about its performance through clothing.

I'd never buy anything other than 230 Grain for .45 if I intended on carrying it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You don't see Hornady mentioned because it doesn't perform as well as other choices (especially not the 200 Grain).

Gold Dot, Ranger-T and Federal HST are all superior choices to the TAP.   There was a thread here recently about TAP and the consensus seems to be that it penetrates adequately, but doesn't expand as much as others.   I'm not sure about its performance through clothing.

I'd never buy anything other than 230 Grain for .45 if I intended on carrying it.

What's wrong with the 200gr? My thought's were the higher velocity would be a plus. I mean an extra 100fps at pistol distances would be a good thing. No?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with the 200gr? My thought's were the higher velocity would be a plus. I mean an extra 100fps at pistol distances would be a good thing. No?

With pistol rounds, momentum is more important than velocity. Hydrostatic shock is not a factor in pistol rounds like is in much higher velocity rifle rounds, but more momentum give you better bone penetration.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a huge post up not to long ago about the Hornady TAP self defense rounds. The big issue people have with the round is that it doesnt meet the FBI standards when penetrating denim. the tests showed that it didnt expand the full .5 inches every time it was shot. Some times it would expand over the .5 and some times it would expand .46 -.49. Thus it failed the test when fired through denim. But every test had remarks including amazing accuracy with the round, it fed very well, and a lot of people noticed that the round when fired in low light instances was not as bright. Which can mean to better low light shooting.

There is mixed feelings towards the round and the current norm in gold saber, rangers, or hydra shock rounds. But its still a good round and shot placement is really the most important thing. I carry 147gr in my M&P with 1 extra mag of the same stuff. As for the .45 I wouldnt carry anything but 230gr. And I actually carry 230gr hydra shock for my .45s. Mainly cause I got a good deal a while back.. I picked up 500 rounds for like $200... and it was all brand new stuff and its amazing in my 1911. Really shoot what your willing to trust your life to, thats a modern round.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#6]
OP edited. I do have the 230gr not the 200gr. My bad lol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It meets IWBA specs, so it's better than some. I'd rather have Gold Dots or HST, but I would take an XTP bullet over Hornady Critical Defense (sucks!) or Hydra-Shoks.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I think people get a little cought up in omg fbi standards. The differences between .45 and. 50 expansion is not that much. To me you have a highly accurate round low flash and deep penetrating that expands a little less than others. This to me does not made it a bad round, you shoot some one with it and it is going to do serious damage and most likely kill. That said I carry tap in my 1911 in 230g I had it in my G19 but it was only 127g so it got replaced by 147g talons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Overpenetration is bad, but I'd rather have penetration than expansion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Everything I have read on the tap ammo shows it penetrates the 12+ inches required but not over penetrating. What makes it fail standards is its slight under expansion.

But as someone said stay away from the critical defense line, I read that in 380 form it is a good choice as it penetrates better Than standard jhp. Good for a backup gun not for a main fighting gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I have read on the tap ammo shows it penetrates the 12+ inches required but not over penetrating. What makes it fail standards is its slight under expansion.

But as someone said stay away from the critical defense line, I read that in 380 form it is a good choice as it penetrates better Than standard jhp. Good for a backup gun not for a main fighting gun.

I've also read about the CD stuff having hard primers and not going bang on the first trigger pull. I have the regular 230gr +P TAP. I'd like to pick up some golden saber or ranger but I've still got close to 100 rounds of the TAP that I won't be rotating out (by shooting it) for another 6 months. I think after a year of carrying it should be shot up and replaced, MY prefrance not any kind of rule afaik.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was me.

Quoted:

It meets IWBA specs, so it's better than some. I'd rather have Gold
Dots or HST, but I would take an XTP bullet over Hornady Critical
Defense (sucks!) or Hydra-Shoks.

I'd carry XTP bullets over ball rounds, but I'd prefer GDs or HSTs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top