Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/19/2014 9:34:06 PM EDT
Got my VZ 2008 from Palmetto state today and have to say that I'm impressed with what I received. After reading all the different material that I could find and communicating with several folks in this community with some apprehension I ordered one. Well upon first sight and inspection this may turn out to be a good purchase. Fit and finish looked good,had no problems breaking it down (it was very dry but not to dirty) took some Hoppe's 9 lubricating gun oil field wipes and went to town on all the individual parts until they had a nice coat on them. Put everything together,which went back easy, put the magazines in and  only one of them gave me a  little trouble when pulling the bolt back to lock , I guess it was a bit stiff but it did start to work after cycling the bolt a few times. The sling was missing from the package but the magazines looked good and functioned ,even the cleaning kit looked pretty good - used the rod and accessories to clean the barrel during my initial breakdown/cleaning. Hopefully I will be able to take it out tomorrow and shoot about a hundred rounds to get some type of  ideal about its function, just upon first impression I don't think I should have any foreseeable problems….I'll keep my fingers crossed LOL…….
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What date did you order yours?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep us updated brother.  This is definitely on my short list.  I'm holding out in case they drop to $299 again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ordered mine Dec.02. and received an email confirming my order within about 15 minutes. They tell you that it may take 5 to 10 days to process firearm orders and that they will notify you and supply a tracking number as soon as the rifle ships. I would check my account status and it always said that my order was being processed up until the day they shipped it, which I did receive an email and tracking number on that day. It was processed on 12/15,shipped 12/16, and arrived 12/18. My FFL was out of town so I had to pick it up late this afternoon. I have always had good luck with PSA and orders usually ship quickly, I guess with the Black Friday sales and Christmas shopping slows things down a lot this time of year. Overall it was worth the wait,I just need to go out and shoot it some tomorrow…..
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
@ J97531 I don't think you can go wrong even at this price ($379.99 + $17.00 shipping). I got to look at and handle some WASRS (overpriced at $599.00 at this little gun shop) the other day and this VZ seems to be a lot nicer feeling and better quality wise especially in these price ranges. I want to and plan to get an AK but it seems like I got more rifle for less money with the VZ and may have to spend more for the AK now….HMMMMM…. Need to shoot the VZ and see what it does before passing judgement on the WASR ,which in all fairness looked  a lot better than some of the WASRS from years ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks mercer.  I ordered mine on 12/04, so I should be seeing a shipping notice before too much longer.  I'm sure the closer to Xmas holiday we get, the slower shipping and deliveries become.  Let us know if you shoot yours, and how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
$299 again, have they been that low before and where?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered mine Dec.02. and received an email confirming my order within about 15 minutes. They tell you that it may take 5 to 10 days to process firearm orders and that they will notify you and supply a tracking number as soon as the rifle ships. I would check my account status and it always said that my order was being processed up until the day they shipped it, which I did receive an email and tracking number on that day. It was processed on 12/15,shipped 12/16, and arrived 12/18. My FFL was out of town so I had to pick it up late this afternoon. I have always had good luck with PSA and orders usually ship quickly, I guess with the Black Friday sales and Christmas shopping slows things down a lot this time of year. Overall it was worth the wait,I just need to go out and shoot it some tomorrow…..
View Quote

When i ordered mine around the the first of November at 399.00 I got the notice that it would ship within 10 days. But in my impatience i called the shipping folks and made up a story that I was going away on a shooting weekend with some buddies and was it possible that i could get it shipped out before the weekend. They said they would try. It arrived at my ffl 3 days later! :) Give it try
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got my VZ 2008 from Palmetto state today and have to say that I'm impressed with what I received. After reading all the different material that I could find and communicating with several folks in this community with some apprehension I ordered one. Well upon first sight and inspection this may turn out to be a good purchase. Fit and finish looked good,
View Quote

Like I said on my earlier post i got mine around the first of November. I have put hundreds of rounds through it and had zero problems. I LOVE MY VZ. In fact, I enjoy shooting it more than my AR. I put fab defense furniture on with a cncwarrior muzzle break and it performs like a dream. Mild recoil, super fast target acquisition, very good accuracy. reliable action and serious violence down range!  Whats not to love? I have an AK and like it a lot, but it doesn't hold a candle to my VZ. Its heads above the AK IMHO. But it was built according to a different philosophy as well, so that needs be considered. i just like tight rifles that don't feel like they are about to fall apart.

The only drawback on the VZ (and its a pretty big one) is magazine availability. I really wish someone like tapco or magpul would start making polymer mags for the VZ. Not sure why they won't, but i suspect its due to the relative small market niche of the VZ.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If it will stop raining long enough I plan to shoot mine ASAP. Heck I'm sure I won't melt and may just go out in the rain , might be a good test (no indoor ranges near by) and thats what cleaning kits are for. I would like to get an AK but if this VZ impresses me I may just pick up another one while the prices are good. On the magazine issue I ordered 3 from j&G right after I ordered the VZ and they looked good for $19.99 each and czechpoint had some for $20.00, went with J&G because of cheaper shipping…..
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it will stop raining long enough I plan to shoot mine ASAP. Heck I'm sure I won't melt and may just go out in the rain , might be a good test (no indoor ranges near by) and thats what cleaning kits are for. I would like to get an AK but if this VZ impresses me I may just pick up another one while the prices are good. On the magazine issue I ordered 3 from j&G right after I ordered the VZ and they looked good for $19.99 each and czechpoint had some for $20.00, went with J&G because of cheaper shipping…..
View Quote

Rain? So what Eastern European girls like it in the rain! You could put her through some mud testing.

Yeah you can get them for about 20 bucks a piece from a few sources, but 20 for a mag is a bit steep, especially since you can get AK and AR pmags for 12 or 13 around here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Well that did it for me , YEEHAWW, we be shooting in the rain tomorrow…..
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Put 120 rounds through my VZ with six different magazines (3 that came with it and 3 from J&G) and four different ammo brands. My CNC warrior muzzle break came in and I was able to shoot with the slant break that came with the rifle and the CNC muzzle break. I Ioaded one mag with 20 rounds of Tulammo FMJ,one with 20 rounds of wolf,one with 20 rounds wolf military classic,one 20 rounds silver bear hollow points.2 mags randomly loaded with combination of all four rounds. I really wanted to just make sure it went bang and did not intend to try and sight it in(was on private land outside town). First off put a small box about 25 yards shot 9 rounds at it and wound up with about a 2" group. HMMMMM,last 11 as fast as I could squeeze them out not one hiccup. I then put up a silhouette went about 30 yards shot 5 rounds elevation looked pretty good but was shooting left of twinkie in center of mass. Backed up to around 60 yards and had about same results all this was standing with no support. Decided to change muzzle break before barrel got too hot and went to use a tree for support that was probably 150 yards shot 20 rounds and had holes all over the paper but 12 of the 20 hit blue and the rest were on paper. Finished off the rest at various distances and was pleased with overall performance of the VZ, no FTF,FTE,bolt locked open after all the last rounds were fired,no hiccups. In this case it definitely the indian and not the arrow. I could tell some difference between muzzle breaks and the hand guard did not get very hot but I wasn't doing mag dumps but quite a few double taps. The folding stock was not totally uncomfortable but I will be doing something with it as well as put the Fab Defense hand grip on that I just got in the mail,other than that I LOVE my rifle just as it is, I'll get to a range with a sight tool,sandbags and a table to sight it in properly and should be GTG!! The VZ 2008 really is a sweet shooting rifle ,I'll take it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Put 120 rounds through my VZ with six different magazines (3 that came with it and 3 from J&G) and four different ammo brands. My CNC warrior muzzle break came in and I was able to shoot with the slant break that came with the rifle and the CNC muzzle break. I Ioaded one mag with 20 rounds of Tulammo FMJ,one with 20 rounds of wolf,one with 20 rounds wolf military classic,one 20 rounds silver bear hollow points.2 mags randomly loaded with combination of all four rounds. I really wanted to just make sure it went bang and did not intend to try and sight it in(was on private land outside town). First off put a small box about 25 yards shot 9 rounds at it and wound up with about a 2" group. HMMMMM,last 11 as fast as I could squeeze them out not one hiccup. I then put up a silhouette went about 30 yards shot 5 rounds elevation looked pretty good but was shooting left of twinkie in center of mass. Backed up to around 60 yards and had about same results all this was standing with no support. Decided to change muzzle break before barrel got too hot and went to use a tree for support that was probably 150 yards shot 20 rounds and had holes all over the paper but 12 of the 20 hit blue and the rest were on paper. Finished off the rest at various distances and was pleased with overall performance of the VZ, no FTF,FTE,bolt locked open after all the last rounds were fired,no hiccups. In this case it definitely the indian and not the arrow. I could tell some difference between muzzle breaks and the hand guard did not get very hot but I wasn't doing mag dumps but quite a few double taps. The folding stock was not totally uncomfortable but I will be doing something with it as well as put the Fab Defense hand grip on that I just got in the mail,other than that I LOVE my rifle just as it is, I'll get to a range with a sight tool,sandbags and a table to sight it in properly and should be GTG!! The VZ 2008 really is a sweet shooting rifle ,I'll take it.
View Quote

Thanks for the report. I knew you'd like it. I wanted to keep the folding stock on mine due to its old school look, but I shoot left handed due to a bad right eye and the stock was pressed into my cheek too much. So I went with a fab defense folding stock. If it doesn't bother you, I'd totally keep it. Have you decided where you're mounting your optic? If you are doing a red dot I would certainly try the forward mount to see if you like it. It gives you a great field of view.

When I go to the range with mine the AK guys always ooooh and aaaah over it. But of course we all know Russian girls are no where near as pretty as Czech girls ;) But when they shoot it that sells them. They are on their way to PSA!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL,That they are…..Have not thought to far ahead right now other than maybe looking into another one before they sell out at PSA. I was really impressed and surprised with mine, I just went out plinking , no rhyme nor reason and the VZ just performed great…..Really glad I made the purchase…..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Just so I didn't have to start another thread. Sorry for the hijack.

Looks like these are in stock again. Are they worth it ? Do they require any mods, what's the scoop
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty good guns. Here's the low down (I'm sure I'm leaving a ton out)
pros:
1. Milled receiver
2. Light weight
3. Low recoil,
4. Comes with a few mags
5. Furniture is decent
6. Few have canted sights
7. Bolt holds open
8. The action feels excellent
9. Zero failures (in mine)
10. New barrels and stock
11. Shoots with exceptional accuracy and precision

Cons:
1. Mags are expensive (20-25/ea)
2. Barrel isn't chrome lined
3. Some experience "Gremlin" a type of malfunction fixed by tabbing your carrier (many don't report this)
4. Accessories aren't cheap, a good rail system is going to cost 170-200bucks.
5. The stock can be difficult to unfold, but it's a minor issue.
6. People at the range will want to shoot your VZ

Overall LOVE IT

Kolme

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top