Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2015 5:50:36 PM EDT
So I just got my Mini Draco the other day.  Front sight base doesn't appear to be canted to the naked eye but the sight post is more to the right of center than I'd like.  The rear sight leaf is kind of kicked up and right too.  It's not quite horizontal while looking down the sights.  

I haven't shot it for groups to confirm if it's zeroed or not yet but I was hitting a bowling pin at 20ish yards while function testing it so it's close.  It seems as if the front sight post was moved over to the right to line up with the slightly crooked rear sight. It's not horrible by any means but enough to irritate me and make aligning the sights a bit unnatural.

I want to push the front sight post to the middle and adjust the rear in order to rezero it.  I've come across 2 different options and would like to know everyone's opinion on the matter.

Seems like the easiest option would be to pop the rear sight leaf out, throw it in a vice, and wrench on it a bit until it's bent enough to counter whatever is making it sit crooked.  

Second option is to pop the rear leaf out and use a needle file to make slight adjustments to the hole in the rear sight base that holds the metal nub on the leaf.  If I'm not mistaken, filing a little to the rear and upwards on the firing port side should allow the rear sight to move up on that side allowing it to become horizontal and also move a bit towards the rear on that side to allow it to square up with the receiver.   The spring tension should hold it in place from there.

I won't be using the range adjustments on the rear, just setting it on P and zeroing at 50 so I don't care if either of the above methods will throw that off.  I also plan to widen the rear notch a bit and can make minor left/right adjustments by filing one side or the other.

What do you all think?  Wrench it or file on the hole?

PS:  The good news is that the Mini Draco seemed to work just fine during my abbreviated function test.  50 rounds of Tula (30 FMJ, 20 HP) split up between the Romanian and Tapco mags it came with and 2 PMAGs.  No problems. Hand guard screw didn't loosen at all either although I've got a replacement, lock washer, and loctite on standby if it does.

I'm very happy with it other than being mildly irritated at the sights.  Looking forward to shooting it more and can't wait to SBR it!

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, through a combo of both methods I got the rear sight centered and level.  Opened up the notch a bit too while I was at it.  Now I need shoot it and adjust the front.  Hopefully it ends up a little more centered.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
File the hole in the sight block. I used a dremel. I have done a few of them.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top