Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2011 9:06:37 AM EDT
who makes one?

I currently silence several calibers, but interested in silencing 7.62x39 in a Draco SBR build. Have laways heard of concentricity issues with barrels, and would obviously have that checked first.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwLEdwywIJY

See
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Now as to trusting my AAC 762SD on there.

May be a good excuse to pick up a YHM can!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine are off center. I think I'm going to have adco make an off center adapter to make it centered on standard 762 thread pitch cans...if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine are off center. I think I'm going to have adco make an off center adapter to make it centered on standard 762 thread pitch cans...if that makes sense.

I'd ask if they can actually do that. Even when it's bad enough to put you at risk for a baffle strike the eccentricity of the threads isn't that huge, and timing such an adapter, so that you can guarantee you're re-centering on the bore when you screw it on may not be possible. Normally the threads are just re-cut entirely.

If you're just looking to make an AK quieter for backyard shooting with neighbors around etc., go ahead and get a suppressor for it. (Note the guy in the video above made no attempt to remove his ear protection...)  If you're looking for anything even close to "movie quiet" chose a different gun to suppress. The gas leakage from the AK's intentionally loose clearances, (not the same thing as loose tolerances) and just the action cycling under full recoil makes a suppressed AK as noisy as some unsuppressed guns.

I was going to get a suppressor for my Draco, and my FFL/SOT spent some time educating me as to why it was a bad choice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The only way I'm putting a can on my AK is if a machinist checks the concentricity of the muzzle threads.  Even then, the AK platform does not suppress well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be happy to try your can on my Draco SBR..  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only way I'm putting a can on my AK is if a machinist checks the concentricity of the muzzle threads.  Even then, the AK platform does not suppress well.

Really? Granted this is an Arsenal 106 in .223. I was cautioned from gemtech regarding bore to suppressor concentricity. I did a laser / visual check and also made a muzzle rod to check clearance prior to shooting. This baby sounds like a 22 bolt action. Of course the .30 caliber platform is a some what more noticable report then a .223

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Granted this is an Arsenal 106 in .223. I was cautioned from gemtech regarding bore to suppressor concentricity. I did a laser / visual check and also made a muzzle rod to check clearance prior to shooting. This baby sounds like a 22 bolt action. Of course the .30 caliber platform is a some what more noticable report then a .223

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/run%20pc%20pics/HPIM1934.jpg

7.62x39mm based AK platforms is what I was referring to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd ask if they can actually do that. Even when it's bad enough to put you at risk for a baffle strike the eccentricity of the threads isn't that huge, and timing such an adapter, so that you can guarantee you're re-centering on the bore when you screw it on may not be possible. Normally the threads are just re-cut entirely.

If you're just looking to make an AK quieter for backyard shooting with neighbors around etc., go ahead and get a suppressor for it. (Note the guy in the video above made no attempt to remove his ear protection...) If you're looking for anything even close to "movie quiet" chose a different gun to suppress. The gas leakage from the AK's intentionally loose clearances, (not the same thing as loose tolerances) and just the action cycling under full recoil makes a suppressed AK as noisy as some unsuppressed guns.

I was going to get a suppressor for my Draco, and my FFL/SOT spent some time educating me as to why it was a bad choice.

How do they just rethread? There aint much meat left on that muzzle.  Do they just sleeve it and then thread the sleeve?

As to action noise and not being loud. I don't really care. I just want to suppress it. I've already got a few other toys suppressed. Why not this one?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been really interested in this myself.  Even more so I'd like to "maybe" do a permanent attach.  Either that or do the RBF, which brings a rifle to legal bbl length and then allows for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I could see permanently attaching a shorter silencer to suppress just enough to hush it down a bit......similar to the new Mini 5.56 cans from Surefire and AAC.

Would take it from 2 tax stamps (SBR and silencer) to 1 tax stamp and with the new overal barrel length being over 16"......slap a stock on and call it a rifle. (though I'm sure some 922r issues may arise that need correcting)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
When I chucked up my draco to fix it so I could put a suppressor on it I found that it really wasn't the threads that were off it was the sight tower/gas block that was throwing the alignment off. I went ahead and rethreaded anyway but I went with a 1/2x28 thread because there is more thread adaptors out there in 1/2x28 than the std ak thread.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could see permanently attaching a shorter silencer to suppress just enough to hush it down a bit......similar to the new Mini 5.56 cans from Surefire and AAC.

Would take it from 2 tax stamps (SBR and silencer) to 1 tax stamp and with the new overal barrel length being over 16"......slap a stock on and call it a rifle. (though I'm sure some 922r issues may arise that need correcting)

should only be the 1 for suppressor. Once it is permanently attached to meet 16" bbl overall length it no longer is considered a short bbl'd rifle. Like permanently attaching a 1.5-2" f/hider on to a 14.5" ar bbl. of course your comfort level will dictate how much money you would like to spend with the feds.
Think of it as the ATf ruling regarding turning a pistol in to a rifle than back, legal and documented by the feds (subject to change)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
who makes one?

I currently silence several calibers, but interested in silencing 7.62x39 in a Draco SBR build. Have laways heard of concentricity issues with barrels, and would obviously have that checked first.

I'm doing it currently while SBRing it as well.  Do it...it will be rarer and awesome IMO.
Crazy thing is, I had the barrel rethreaded to 1/2", then had a special adapter made to change that to 5/8" permanently attached to it so that an AAC muzzle brake/QD is now on the barrel.  While having the barrel checked, it was measured and only was off 0.001" the entire length of the barrel.  Straitest AK47 barrel the guy has ever seen he said.

Mike

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top