Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2011 6:46:03 AM EDT
Sorry for sounding numb...... What's a C type Draco?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I think made from partskits, but I could be wrong about that. I only say that because I think they have trunnions that are stamped with old dates, where the non C is penciled in. I also think the C came with the bakelight grips, and if they are older the original FCG, sometimes no cleaning rod
The non C which I have is all new from new parts all numbers match, usa pistol grip, tapco FCG, cleaning rod.
I know the C have the underfolder trunnion, the non C usually has a trunnion thats all solid
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much says it. My  "C" seems to be  made from an unfired gun which had the auto receiver cut up, & re assembled with a semi receiver. On my gun, all the ser#'s match except the safety lever, & the recoil rod assy. Since these are pistols, they don't need any US parts, but for some reason there were problems with the FCG's on non "C's" a while back, so many got G-2 FCG's. The newer "C's" which have only been around for several months have a genuine Romy FCG. And yes, it appears the "C's" were built with an underfolding trunnion in the rear, so it's easier to SBR. My question is what is the Draco "80" I saw on U-Tube.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The newer "C's" which have only been around for several months have a genuine Romy FCG. And yes, it appears the "C's" were built with an underfolding trunnion in the rear, so it's easier to SBR. My question is what is the Draco "80" I saw on U-Tube.  GARY  N4KVE

From what the reviwer says- I'm guessing NO UF Trunnion?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The newer "C's" which have only been around for several months have a genuine Romy FCG. And yes, it appears the "C's" were built with an underfolding trunnion in the rear, so it's easier to SBR. My question is what is the Draco "80" I saw on U-Tube.  GARY  N4KVE

From what the reviwer says- I'm guessing NO UF Trunnion?

Don't know, because I haven't seen the inside of 1. So there's the Draco, the Draco 80, & the Draco C.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
does the Draco C have a tapco trigger? How do u tell?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
does the Draco C have a tapco trigger? How do u tell?
Not the "C's" I've seen so far, & I've seen plenty at the last few gunshows. They've become quite popular, & many vendors are carrying them at a wide range of prices. The Tapco trigger parts will have G-2 marked on them.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of each, a early draco with the recall G2 FCG and a later "C".

The early model is a 2009 build, SN is DR-5xxx-09 RO, has the all machined gas block, is made from all new parts, has the usual semi auto only bolt carrier with the full auto area completely cut away and the semi auto safety found on imported rifles.
All the serial numbers match, and most of the small parts do not have SN's, just like late import WASRs.
The rear trunnion does not have the UF holes cut.
The rear sight is the correct AIMR 0-500 graduated meter sight blade for the short barrel.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The C is plainly made from a 1968 Underfolder rifle and has a UF trunnion with the holes cut.
The SN is 1968 BF 1XXX and has the "arrow in the triangle" arsenal mark of military rifles.
The parts show the same machining style and good quality of the early Romanian rifles. ( FYI: build quality got worse as Ceausescu dove the country into bankruptcy)
The fact that all the used parts have serial numbers that on military guns also have SN's screams this is a factory parts kit build.

All the serial numbers do not match, the safety, recoil spring and the wood hand guard are from different rifles, furthermore, the BC was clearly FA a part.
The FA trip bump visibly ground off and the BC reblued.
The rear sight is the usual 0-1000 graduated meter sight blade for 16" barrel rifles.

The receiver, barrel, cleaning rod, gas tube and gas block are the only parts that appear new.
The gas block is the new investment cast version.
At a distance it looks the same as the earlier machined version, just the new investment cast one has clear bumps where the pin holes are drilled and is smoother without all the messy rough marks and hand finished look of the earlier GB.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It's great that you have both versions of this gun, so you can make such a detailed comparison. In your opinion, does the "C" have a new barrel, or a new looking one from 1968? Can you tell if the barrel was a full sized, cut down, or was it originally made as a shorty? The gas piston on my "C" looks like it never fired a round, & looks new. And yes, it appears the older the Romy parts, the better the quality was. Thanks for all your input.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Are the barrels chromed?

Could we get a pictorial comparison?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My "C" model has a chromed barrel and chamber
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
How do you know which version it is?  I got mine in November of 09.  It wasn't a recalled model I know that, & has a Tapco trigger.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do you know which version it is?  I got mine in November of 09.  It wasn't a recalled model I know that, & has a Tapco trigger.

If it is a C it will say Draco C on the left hand side of the reciever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The recall was in 09. Why would Century spend the money to supply & install a Tapco FCG in a pistol that doesn't require any US parts, unless this gun came with the problematic FCG from Romania? The guns that got out to the public were recalled to fix the problem by installing the Tapco FCG, but if Century had 500 Draco's still in their plant from the same batch of guns that had these same defective Romanian FCG, they would replace them too before they got sold, so they wouldn't have to recall them at a later date. The Romanians must have fixed the FCG problems as my Draco "C" has a real milled Romanian FCG.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's great that you have both versions of this gun, so you can make such a detailed comparison. In your opinion, does the "C" have a new barrel, or a new looking one from 1968? Can you tell if the barrel was a full sized, cut down, or was it originally made as a shorty? The gas piston on my "C" looks like it never fired a round, & looks new. And yes, it appears the older the Romy parts, the better the quality was. Thanks for all your input.  GARY  N4KVE

Sorry, should have been more clear on this point.

All Dracos are a stockless clone of the full auto AIMR-63
The C variant uses 100% military parts.
The foregrip on the C is a recycled military laminated version with the pistol grip cut off ( so it's not a AOW by ATF rules)
The only non-military parts on the 2009 are the cheesy WASR grade unvarnished solid wood foregrip, SA only cut bolt carrier, and the pistol rear trunnion.

The Draco/AIMR-63 specific parts are the only new stuff on the C model.
Everything else is recycled/reworked AIM-63 Underfolder parts.

New parts for the C
Draco:
SA receiver
SA disconnector.

AIMR-63:
11.5" hard chromed barrel
Short hard chromed piston
Gas Block
Some have the short cleaning rod, some don't

Quoted:

Could we get a pictorial comparison?  

Not this week, but I'll see what I can do.
I've got a unbuilt AIMR-74 kit I need to show off too. ( only 50-60 kits imported IIRC )

To answer it $330 question, if you are building a correct AIMR-63 SBR clone , get the regular 2009-2010 model.
For anything else, the C models with 60s-70s dated trunnions will be nicer.
Not Hungarian, or even Egyptian nice, but better than the current Curgir production stuff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn good reply BulletBait.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I duno what trigger is in my "C" It is smooth witha short reset for an AK.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The recall was in 09. Why would Century spend the money to supply & install a Tapco FCG in a pistol that doesn't require any US parts, unless this gun came with the problematic FCG from Romania? The guns that got out to the public were recalled to fix the problem by installing the Tapco FCG, but if Century had 500 Draco's still in their plant from the same batch of guns that had these same defective Romanian FCG, they would replace them too before they got sold, so they wouldn't have to recall them at a later date. The Romanians must have fixed the FCG problems as my Draco "C" has a real milled Romanian FCG.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The "C's" I've seen so far come with real semi auto Romanian FCG's.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a good example of members sharing info. I always herd the Draco's had Tapco G2's installed. Due to Romanian trigger issues. I picked out a sweet Draco "C" at a gun show. I assumed it was a G2 group. I was impressed with the trigger as it was smooth and had a short reset for an AK. Now I find it is a Romanian Trigger. Wow the romanian s did a great job on this trigger compaired to other AK triggers. How does the G2 trigger compare?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The "C's" I've seen so far come with real semi auto Romanian FCG's.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Draco C with a Tapco trigger.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#20]
"To answer it $330 question, if you are building a correct AIMR-63 SBR clone , get the regular 2009-2010 model.
For anything else, the C models with 60s-70s dated trunnions will be nicer.
Not Hungarian, or even Egyptian nice, but better than the current Curgir production stuff."

I was kinda thinking this was the case after reading your couple posts. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My Draco is a 1969 trunnion. It is clearly marked Draco "C" on the US driver side. Has a Romanian trigger group and the action is as smooth as silk after 150 flawless fire rounds. Id put its reliability against any other.

Quoted:
I have one of each, a early draco with the recall G2 FCG and a later "C".

The early model is a 2009 build, SN is DR-5xxx-09 RO, has the all machined gas block, is made from all new parts, has the usual semi auto only bolt carrier with the full auto area completely cut away and the semi auto safety found on imported rifles.
All the serial numbers match, and most of the small parts do not have SN's, just like late import WASRs.
The rear trunnion does not have the UF holes cut.
The rear sight is the correct AIMR 0-500 graduated meter sight blade for the short barrel.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The C is plainly made from a 1968 Underfolder rifle and has a UF trunnion with the holes cut.
The SN is 1968 BF 1XXX and has the "arrow in the triangle" arsenal mark of military rifles.
The parts show the same machining style and good quality of the early Romanian rifles. ( FYI: build quality got worse as Ceausescu dove the country into bankruptcy)
The fact that all the used parts have serial numbers that on military guns also have SN's screams this is a factory parts kit build.

All the serial numbers do not match, the safety, recoil spring and the wood hand guard are from different rifles, furthermore, the BC was clearly FA a part.
The FA trip bump visibly ground off and the BC reblued.
The rear sight is the usual 0-1000 graduated meter sight blade for 16" barrel rifles.

The receiver, barrel, cleaning rod, gas tube and gas block are the only parts that appear new.
The gas block is the new investment cast version.
At a distance it looks the same as the earlier machined version, just the new investment cast one has clear bumps where the pin holes are drilled and is smoother without all the messy rough marks and hand finished look of the earlier GB.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up a Draco C marked 1968.

Has the chrome lined barrel and the good trigger.  I think I picked the right one out of the group I had to choose from.

400 bucks with 2 mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top