Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:11:13 PM EDT
I bought a grade 1 kit from Dan's  The finish *looks* like paint (very nice at that) but it ain't!  After reading reports on this board about the "crappy easy-to-remove finish" that comes off with rubbing alcohol on these kits, I tried to figure out how I would remove the paint.  Well the paint turned out to be tougher than I thought.  Here's what I tried to remove the finish with:

1) Hoppes No 9 = No effect
2) Sweet's 7.62 = No effect
3) Rubbing Alcohol = No effect
4) Naval Jelly = No effect

Alas, short of sandblasting, the finish (which looks real nice BTW -- did I say that already?) is here to stay.  My plan once the receiver arrives is to hit the whole thing with a coat of Moly-Resin over the top of this finish -- just to make things look uniform.  What did those Radom arsenal boys coat this gun with?  I'd love to know!

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try Acetone or Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Try some brake cleaner too.  If it holds up to acetone and brake cleaner then it is tough as nails!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Acetone Kills it. Brake parts cleaner makes it much softer.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top