Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:58:27 AM EDT

Trying to get a translation of this word, and the Polish online translator I found is no help.

Is it a Polish name? A thing? Why name the rifle "Tantal"?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps it's related to:

"Tantalus" who was (in Greek mythology) a wicked king and son of Zeus; condemned in Hades to stand in water that receded when he tried to drink and beneath fruit that receded when he reached for it .

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I found in the dictionary.

So, is "Tantal" a common Polish name?  If so, is it their custom to give names to the rifles? (I heard of "Beryl").

Where are you, Poles?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Perhaps it's related to:

"Tantalus" who was (in Greek mythology) a wicked king and son of Zeus; condemned in Hades to stand in water that receded when he tried to drink and beneath fruit that receded when he reached for it .

Mike

hence the term we have today, "tantalizing".  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's what I found in the dictionary.

So, is "Tantal" a common Polish name?  If so, is it their custom to give names to the rifles? (I heard of "Beryl").

Where are you, Poles?

I have never heard of either word in Polish until I started liking AKs and I speak Polish at home.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Tantal - Tantalum
Onyks - Onyx
Beryl - Beryllium
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]

OK- I see now-

Named after minerals-  Thanks

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top