Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2005 1:58:37 PM EDT
I've ordered an AKMS underfolder kit from Akron Armory and would like to run these parts choices by for review and comments as to their applicablity and performance.  I have experience with FAL kits and have put together a couple of ARs from choice parts.  Here's my preliminary choices:

-  Receiver - Global Trades type-two, one millimeter thick in 7.62 caliber.  Thanks to someone here for already suggesting this.  
-  Muzzle brake - A-559 US manufactured slant brake from Global Trades. Will this fit without adapter?
-  Fire Control Parts - Arsenal USA brand set from Global Trades seem OK
-  Gas Piston - I might spring for the hard chromed piston from Krebs Custom www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html
-  Magazines - I don’t know.  Can someone recommend some mags that are available now and the source.
-  Receiver reinforcement plate - I think I want this but I’ll need to confirm that my builder will do it.  
-  Builder -  I’m thinking of Coyote Gultch Armory to do it since he’s located very close to me and this would eliminate shipping costs.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
for the fire control parts it seems everyone recommends the tapco g2 set.  everything else looks good but I havent heard much about the reinforcement plate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone confirm that this slant muzzle brake (A-559) sold at Global Trades will fit (screw right into the threads)? www.globaltrades.com/ak_muzzl_1.html

Also, I need some good mags.  Anyone have a good source?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
All the slant brakes I've seen were threaded for the standard 14x1LH thread that all the '47s use, so should go right on. The grip plate will definitely make the grip feel much more solid; it's a simple spotweld job, and worth the effort. Unless you want to spend the $79 on a Red Star trigger group (admittedly excellent), TheDukeRyan at www.MidwestArmory.com has the best deal going on G2 FCGs right now.

What part of the state are you in?? I'm over by Fort Lewis--

Edited for low batteries in the wireless keyboard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
In in Kennewick in Eastern Wash.  Thanks for the info. Ductapeman.  My main focus now is shooting pistols in competiion (USPSA), but I've been thinking that I should have an AK for years.  Now with the folders it put me over the edge.  I'm really enjoying learning about AKs and am looking forward to this project.  

re:  Mags.  I just bought two Bulgarian steel 30rd (new) mags from CDNN.  They seemed good.  Global Trades lists 30rd Polish steel mags. (used, excellent cond.) that I think I'll get a few of too.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeh, forgot the mags-- it seems fitting to get the Polish steel ones, and the only source I'm aware of is Global Trading. They have those cool pouches too, and some other neat doodads as well. Another possible source for the Polish mags might be Robert Kruk-- email him at [email protected] and ask for his price list. He's a cool guy, and he's actually in Poland.

My wife's sister lives in Richland; I'll shoot you an IM next time we're headed over that way. And watch the WA Hometown page for info about a pending Dryside AK Build Party.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top