Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2011 8:48:13 AM EDT
My AK collection currently consists of an SAR-1 which has been flawless, A Yugo M70AB2 which is the smoothest AK I own and has also been flawless and a Romanian AES10B heavy barrel RPK which is so new I haven't even had a chance to get it to the range. I am looking at adding 1 more to the collection and since there are no M70AB1's to be found as a mte for my current M70 underfolder I am looking at Polish fixed stock.

I know an AK is an AK is an AK as far as reliability generally speaking but anything in particular I should look out for? I know the Century Romanians are known for canted sights so what do I need to look for on a Polish model that is a common issue?

I am looking at the 1960 Polish on Atlantics website which is a Century build. I know Century takes their quality knocks for poor finish but other than them randomly parking everything on the gun (which can be refinished later) all of my previous Century builds including the ones I still currently own have been great. Anyone have one they can give feedback on? I am basically looking to add a 4th shooter to the group so I don't want to spend Arsenal money but want something higher quality than a WASR and I am thinking Polish would fit the need nicely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me start by saying that I don't own any CAI assembled AK's (unless you count my Golani).

However, I was in your position a while back and was asking similar questions. I think the main concerns here are the possibility of getting a rifle with "canted" (misaligned) components, and also to the true AK fans- the use of the non-chrome lined US made barrel in general. Unless you plan to shoot the hell out of it, or shoot corrosive ammo, that won't necessarily be a huge issue. I haven't noticed any reports of "keyholing" 1960s. Basically, if you don't mind taking the risk that you MIGHT have to deal with making an exchange/return, then go for it. The only other thing I can think to tell you is to Google "Century Polish 1960 receiver problems" and make sure there are no reports of any issues there- that is what they ran into with the Golani rifles. That being said, mine runs fine (for the time being, knock on wood).
If you aren't set on the milled rifle, you might also scroll a bit further down and check out the Interarms produced AKs. I have heard good things.

Good luck! I'm sure some folks with firsthand experience will chime in when they see your post.
-acarp
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My CAI Tantal came w/ 1:8 twist and a Y0 s/n prefix and shoots great.... no keyholing and very accurate. I didnt even move the sights yet.

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top