Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2010 7:45:27 AM EDT
Newbie questions here. I went by my local shop and a used Tantal popped up on the racks. While looking it over, I noticed that it didn't seem to be a century gun. It had Armory markings on it IIRC from TX.  Looked to be pretty well put together and in good shape other than some wear on the parkerizing. Can anyone tell me if these are good quality, are the bbls chrome lined, any other issues to look for?
I may be able to get OTD for about ~$375
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the throat for erosion before purchasing (the area just past the chamber).  Either way for that price its a steal.  CAI is the only company making Tantals w/ non chromelined barrels, tmk.

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Also check to see if it has the left side selector switch. It may be a custom built Tantal or it may be an Interarms build. I stole the pic below showing where the Interarms marking is. I've got an Interarms Tantal and I love it. Mine was built on a matching parts kit with the Nodak Spud NDS2T receiver....

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, snagged 1 Interarms Tantal. Receiver is indeed by Armory and the build skipped the Left side selector. All the kit numbers match 6868. Got one steel mag with it. Now I need to get some mags,ammo, on the next paycheck.

Are there any benefits other than weight savings between the Polymer  bulgy/russian mags and the steel Pol style ones?  

BTW- what the hells does "Tantal" mean in English?
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ok, snagged 1 Interarms Tantal. Receiver is indeed by Armory and the build skipped the Left side selector. All the kit numbers match 6868. Got one steel mag with it. Now I need to get some mags,ammo, on the next paycheck.

Are there any benefits other than weight savings between the Polymer  bulgy/russian mags and the steel Pol style ones?  

BTW- what the hells does "Tantal" mean in English?

Tantal is the element tantalum.

No real difference in the magazines.  I actually prefer the East German bakelites because they are a close enough match to the lower handguard on my Tantal.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Russian/Bulgarian/Polish polymer mags.  The AK74 commie polymer mags are the best polymer mags I've seen for any gun, they feed great and are very tough.  I had to ground down the sides of the steel mag that came with my Tantal to get it to fit.  Also several places have great deals on 4 mag polymer sets for $40.  The painted ones have been Russian plums with the markings ground off, can strip if you want to.  AIM has true Bulgarian black polymers ones for 1/2 the price of what they were going for last year.  East German bakelites have been more expensive but very good reputation.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top