Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 3:46:53 AM EDT
I'm new to the rifle world and especially to the Assault Rifle/Battle Rifle arena.

When looking for rifles I find it very difficult to understand the various acronyms.  It's the same for ARs.  There are rifle types, like AR style, AK style, HK 91 or G3 style, FAL style but then there are all sorts of letter designations which I do not understand and which the sites do not explain.

For example, if I go to the Arsenal, Inc. site they list SA M-x rifle, SLR-101 rifles, and some have things like SAS and SFC and other designations after them.  To the untrained eye, they all look very similar and its hard to know what I'm getting.  ARs are the same, there are CARs and LARs and so forth with A2, A4 and all kinds of designations.  I've sorted through some of that, bu the AKs are still a mystery.

Is there a "primer" out there somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
AR
www.armalite.com/library/history/history.htm

world.guns.ru/assault/as18-e.htm
The other models of AR rifles are covered on the menu on the left of the screen under USA.

AK
world.guns.ru/assault/as01-e.htm

G3
world.guns.ru/assault/as12-e.htm

HK 91= Hecker & Koch the makers of the G3. The model 91 is the semiautomatic version of the G3 rifle.

FAL  
world.guns.ru/assault/as24f-e.htm

SA M= Semi Automatic  Model
SLR= Self Loading Rifle
The other letter designations refer to the type of stock,barrel, muzzle brake,scope mount, etc.... the rifle has.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top