Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:19:37 PM EDT
Where can I aquire such a rifle I have 2 ARs and would like to add an AK in 7.62 to the group. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That's kind of vague information to help with.  Are you wanting a Bulgarian rifle with a milled receiver or a stamped receiver?  Do you want a Russian or Bulgarian parts-built rifle or imported rifle?  There's not a whole lot of information to work with to give any real help to.  

What kind of style, etc. are you looking at?
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I would be most interested in the Bulgarian. Stamped or milled as long as it is reliable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
an ak is an ak. as long as you clean and lube it regularly it will always fire

the higher the price the better cosmetics are. accuracy and reliability are a miniscule difference if any
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the higher the price the better cosmetics are. accuracy and reliability are a miniscule difference if any

That's not exactly true.  An AK is not always an AK.  And they don't always fire.  You can run them dogged to the degree they hang up.  But certainly they're a fairly dependable rifle in terms of mechanics.

But I definately have to disagree regarding "the higher the price the better cosmetics are."  The later Bulgarian Arsenal rifles became quite expensive and are a fine rifle.  However, their finish is almost sheer aesthetics and literally scrapes right off in flakes.  The Steyr-imported preban Egyptian Maadi rifle commands quite a premium.  But it's just a few steps above its post ban cousin in cosmetics.  You're not considering inflation of prices of many rifles for the high price.  

I'd also have to disagree with "accuracy and reliability are a miniscule difference if any."  There are well-built AK's and there are sloppily-built AK's.  There's often a noticeable difference in reliability and accuracy.  You're not considering things like canted sights, improperly established barrel assembly, etc. that many rifles became infamous for.

For the most part, most AK's out there are decent rifles.  However, there are those that have little nuances particular to them that one must watch out for (Romanian SAR/WASR series with canted sights; Arsenal rifles with diminishing finishes; etc.).
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not exactly true.  An AK is not always an AK.  And they don't always fire.  You can run them dogged to the degree they hang up.  But certainly they're a fairly dependable rifle in terms of mechanics.

But I definately have to disagree regarding "the higher the price the better cosmetics are."  The later Bulgarian Arsenal rifles became quite expensive and are a fine rifle.  However, their finish is almost sheer aesthetics and literally scrapes right off in flakes.  The Steyr-imported preban Egyptian Maadi rifle commands quite a premium.  But it's just a few steps above its post ban cousin in cosmetics.  You're not considering inflation of prices of many rifles for the high price.  

I'd also have to disagree with "accuracy and reliability are a miniscule difference if any."  There are well-built AK's and there are sloppily-built AK's.  There's often a noticeable difference in reliability and accuracy.  You're not considering things like canted sights, improperly established barrel assembly, etc. that many rifles became infamous for.

For the most part, most AK's out there are decent rifles.  However, there are those that have little nuances particular to them that one must watch out for (Romanian SAR/WASR series with canted sights; Arsenal rifles with diminishing finishes; etc.).

well you got me there rayman1. let me reword my previous statement
"an ak is an ak. as long as its not built by CENTURY and you dont abuse it (bumpfiring) and clean and lube it regularly it will always fire if everything is within spec

the higher the price the better cosmetics or rarity (krink, norinco legend). accuracy and reliability are a miniscule difference if any" winthin a reasonable distance, some will be spot on and some will be "good enough"
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Any properly assembled AK will be remarkably reliable, given minimal maintenance.
The identity of the builder is immaterial, if it's properly assembled.
The rifle was designed with generous clearances, which contributes to the famed reliability, therefore if it's "tight" it ain't right.
Accuracy will vary and spending more money won't buy more accuracy, except by accident.
5.45 and 5.56 rifles are usually more accurate because the cartridge is more accurate and the rifle is easier for many people to shoot (less recoil).
7.62 rifles in good condition will be sufficiently accurate to hit the intended target (human sized) within the effective range (300m) if the shooter does his/her part.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say do your research. There's a lot of well informed people on this forum and others out there that have covered this topic beyond simple facts. There's a lot of choices out there and so many different price ranges, benefits, drawbacks, fit and function differences.  Just take your time and READ cause you'll learn a lot before possibly making the "wrong" purchase.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top