Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 9:42:52 PM EDT
Hello all.  In order to fund another gun purchase, I am deliberating the selling of my precious Valmet M62S.  I know that selling a gun to get a gun is against the hive-mindset of the gun collector community, but in order to maintain harmony at the homestead (that is, stay married!), I gotta part with a few things in order to get the gun I want...a SIG 550.  SOOOO, that leads me to my question, what is the approximate current value of a pristine/99% condition Valmet 62?  It has the wood stock, which is perfect, just like every other part of the gun, inside and out.  Also (I think) at least two original Valmet 30 round mags.  Any info is greatly appreciated.....so thanks in advance.  Take care, Cloak
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Aboput $3500.

SIG is supposed to have their new US made 55X at SHOT 2006.  It will be a lot less than what pre-89 SIG 500's are going for.....you sure you want to get rid of your Valmet?

No, definitely not sure.......that's my quandry.  Decisions, decisions.  Thanks for the info, though.  I know I would regret it if I got rid of it, so I have to decide how bad I want the other gun (so far....it's pretty bad ).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Aboput $3500.

SIG is supposed to have their new US made 55X at SHOT 2006.  It will be a lot less than what pre-89 SIG 500's are going for.....you sure you want to get rid of your Valmet?

You really think $3,500????   Wow.  That is alot more than I paid.  I had no idea that it was worth that much.  Thanks for the info, Templar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aboput $3500.

You really think $3,500????   Wow.  That is alot more than I paid.  I had no idea that it was worth that much.  Thanks for the info, Templar.

I wouldn't count on it, I paid less than that for my tube 62, and the tube stock models are much rarer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
These 2 auctions should help give a pretty good idea of current values...

Valmet 62 Wood Stock

Valmet 62 Tube Stock
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
These 2 auctions should help give a pretty good idea of current values...

Valmet 62 Wood Stock

Valmet 62 Tube Stock

Sea Ray should be locked up for larceny, because he STOLE that rifle at $1,825!!!!  I had a feeling that it wasn't worth quite as much as $3,500, but less than $2,500????
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Got this one off GunBroker several years ago.  BuyNow was less than what the steel tube above went for.  It came in a homemade wooden case with a total of 6 Finnish Steel mags.  Anyone know the number of M62s imported and the breakdown between wood and steel tube stocks?  How many had the early "bicycle grip"  pistol grip?

Also have a M78 in 7.62x39.  These were pricey when the came in.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
As if they weren't rare enough....that is THE rarest example of the M62!!!!!  I decided I'm keeping mine after all.  This thread convinced me!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
1,000 Valmet 62s altogether, 800 wood stock, 200 tube stock. Not sure on the breakdown of regular vs. bicycle grip 62s.

dobk, does yours have a welded up autosear hole? B Wood, the guy who owned the valmet-weapons board, has/had a pre-1968 62 with the bicycle grip that did. It looks like yours has holes for the older type sling swivel on the underside of the stock, too.

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aboput $3500.

I wouldn't count on it, I paid less than that for my tube 62, and the tube stock models are much rarer.

Sigurd, I know you're an authority on Valmets, and not that it matters as much now since I've decided to keep my wood stocked M62, but can you give me an approximate ballpark as to what it would command on the open gun market?   Also, with a partial serial # of 146XXX, could you guesstimate the year of production.  BTW, it has the flip up sights, but no tritium inserts, just off-white colored (more yellowish now) dots which may have been treated with the same luminous material that GI compasses had which needed to be exposed to light for a short time in order to glow (I'm guessing at that, I don't know this for a fact since I've never tried it.....just going on what I've read).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sigurd, I know you're an authority on Valmets, and not that it matters as much now since I've decided to keep my wood stocked M62, but can you give me an approximate ballpark as to what it would command on the open gun market?   Also, with a partial serial # of 146XXX, could you guesstimate the year of production.  BTW, it has the flip up sights, but no tritium inserts, just off-white colored (more yellowish now) dots which may have been treated with the same luminous material that GI compasses had which needed to be exposed to light for a short time in order to glow (I'm guessing at that, I don't know this for a fact since I've never tried it.....just going on what I've read).  Thanks.

$2400 or so, I'd say.

On the military rifles, the last year for painted night sights was 1973. Does yours have the wood or plastic pistol grip?

Mine is 1469xx. It has had tritium inserts added in one of the valmet-weapons group buys.

They didn't sell very well back then, as 7.62x39 ammo was not readily available. Norma and Lapua were all you could get.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$2400 or so, I'd say.

On the military rifles, the last year for painted night sights was 1973. Does yours have the wood or plastic pistol grip?

Mine is 1469xx. It has had tritium inserts added in one of the valmet-weapons group buys.

They didn't sell very well back then, as 7.62x39 ammo was not readily available. Norma and Lapua were all you could get.

Thanks, Sigurd.  Mine has the wood pistol grip, serial #1463XX.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1,000 Valmet 62s altogether, 800 wood stock, 200 tube stock. Not sure on the breakdown of regular vs. bicycle grip 62s.

dobk, does yours have a welded up autosear hole? B Wood, the guy who owned the valmet-weapons board, has/had a pre-1968 62 with the bicycle grip that did. It looks like yours has holes for the older type sling swivel on the underside of the stock, too.

Sorry about taking so long to answer your question.  I just got a chance to dig her out today.  As far as I can tell mine was made without the autosear hole.  Believe Brian's was in the 131XXX serial range and mine is in the 135XXX range and is an Interarms import.  It does have the holes for the swivel underneath the buttstock and the painted night sights.

I noticed your avatar of Arnie carrying a M78 in 7.62x39 (wish I could find a buttstock like that for my 78).  M78 in 7.62x39 starred in at least 3 movies I can think of: Red Dawn, Commando, and Predator.  Seems like the russians in Stripes carried M71 Valmets.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top