Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2005 1:16:36 PM EDT
hello, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I thought the guys on this board would know the answer.  A freind of mine has just bought a new over/ under shot gun , a Valmet, made in finland, and I am sure it came out of the same factory that makes the valmet rifle.  So here is the question, several of the people he has talked to about the gun( mostly shotgun hunters) call it a ( val-may) , with the long A sound for the" et" like it was French.  I thought it was pronounced (val-met) with the short "E" for the "et" like it was salvatic.  Such as you say soviet ( so-V- et) not (so-V- ay) union?????? which way do you pronouce this?????????? thanks for the help...................Dave  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Met as in "metal", in Val the a is pronounced as the u in the words mud, lug and dud. Like the a in "car" but short, you know...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Valhalla, Mets. Valmet
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Valhalla, Mets. Valmet

so how do you pronounce Valhalla?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so how do you pronounce Valhalla?hr

href=Valmet

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

so how do you pronounce Valhalla?

English speakers usually pronounce the a's in valhalla as in the words hat and cat, I believe.

I think Norwegians pronounce the a's in valhalla like we pronounce the a in "Valmet" (and all other words - we're logical that way).

But Miku's sound file should clear this Valmet pronounciation business once and for all, good job
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not nearly as tough as pronouncing Leupold.

Now if we could only get new Valmet AK's imported into the US again.  I want one!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's not nearly as tough as pronouncing Leupold.

I guess that one depends a lot on whether you think of it as a German or English name or whatever.

Quoted:
Now if we could only get new Valmet AK's imported into the US again.  I want one!

Now if only someone would make new Valmet AKs, at least we could get them, and post pics for you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now if only someone would make new Valmet AKs, at least we could get them, and post pics for you! hr

You´re right. It would be nice to have them in decent prices again. They cost way too much at the moment in used condition...

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top