Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:42:53 AM EDT
I see several types of "pre-ban" models of Galil lised by numbers 392 , 386 , 372 , ect(?) , I also see some listed with a "S" after these numbers.
I suspect the "S" stands for Sporter , but what does this mean , was it inported after 89?
Do these numbers mean shorter barrel length , etc?
Can someone of great knowledge break all this down for me.
How much less is a "S" sporter worth than a true preban?
Which is the most rare Galil (non-sniper) that was inported?
Thanks for all help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ohhhh boy....

This is one of the topics that gets flailed around on Galil forums.

Basically, if the S is stamped in the same font and in the same line as the model #, it's a post-ban (small s) rifle.  I have heard that you can take those rifles, install the correct number of US parts, and be able to put them in pre-ban configuration.  But I haven't messed with it, so I don't know.  

If the S is obviously a different size and font, and not exactly in line with the model number, then you have a "transition" (big s) gun.  The rifle was in transit when the ban went into effect, and was stamped in the warehouse or on arrival.  The status of these guns is tricky...these rifles were sold with butthole stocks, but the original hardware was included in a bag with the rifle.  If the parts were re-installed before the "reactivation" ban date, then they can stay in pre-ban configuration.  If not, they have to stay with the butthole stock, unless you install the correct number of US parts.

How to tell the difference between "big s" guns that can be in pre-ban configuration with the original parts, and those that can't?  That's the controversy.  I bought a "big s" rifle, but had the owner give me a notarized statement that the rifle was returned to its pre-ban configuration before the "reactivation" ban went into effect.

Difference in value?  Substantial.  A post-ban gun with US parts can now, if I understand it correctly, have the folding stock and original flash hider.  No bayonet lug, but that can be fixed with the gas bleed from a parts kit.  It's not factory-original, which knocks the high-paying collectors out of the picture, and attracts only shooters, who have some (lower-quality) US-made clones to choose from.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Good answers on the "S" issues , Thanks

How about the different model numbers?  386  , 392 , etc

Give me the scoop,

I have money ready to spend :) and a burning need to know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I also would like to know the answer to the “s” question.  I have a Galil Sporter Arm model 710S.  I got this gun directly from the distributor (RSR Wholesale) back when I was an FFL holder.  My recollection of the “transition guns” is different however.  This gun came in a Sporter box with no bayo lug and thumbhole stock, no flash hider installed but the barrel was threaded and came with a thread protector screwed on.  Also included with the gun was the original Galil Box (designed to hold a the rifle with the folding stock installed ).  Inside this box they put all the original parts which included the folding stock, bipod, flash hider, night sites and five new magazines ( 3 50 round and two 35 round)in Action Arms boxes.  At that time, if I remember correctly, guns were being brought in to the country in sporter type configurations but once in the US could legally be put into pre-ban type configuration.  The sporter configs were supposedly done strictly for import purposes. To my understanding, this was a loophole in the early ban days. I remember having a conversation about this with RSR Wholesale but that was many years ago so I have no idea if they were correct.  Most people I talk to would say since this is a 710S model it’s post 89 and thus cannot have evil features.  At the same time I have found references that Action Arms (The second importer of the Galil) went out of business in 1989. So this gun and others may have been in the pipeline before the ban took affect and thus would explain the way Action Arms imported and shipped these rifles with thumbhole stocks but also included a parts kit to put it back into pre-ban configuration. I’m considering selling this gun but the lack of a clear answer to the configuration question makes me unsure as to how to go about it.  This gun is mint unfired with all original boxes, accessories, Owners manual, Five mags that came with the gun etc.  It has remained an unfired safe queen and still has some of the packing grease in some areas.  The sale would also include an Action Arms scope mount ( not new ) and two additional mags, both new in action arms boxes.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also trying to figure out the model numbers, import quantities, etc. Anybody know of a good source for Galil info? I had valmetweapons.com bookmarked, but it's not coming up. Message boards,a rticles, anything is helpful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm also trying to figure out the model numbers, import quantities, etc. Anybody know of a good source for Galil info? I had valmetweapons.com bookmarked, but it's not coming up. Message boards,a rticles, anything is helpful.

Yeah, Buddy Hinton's picture thread:  http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/.  He is, IMHO, one of the nations preeminent authorities on foreign assault weapons.  He runs the Sturmgewehr board, and although a little anal about running his sight (runs flawlessly, though!), he is very helpful if you post questions in the Semi/NFA forum on the Sturm board.  But first, check out the pic thread and look for the Galil section.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, Buddy Hinton's picture thread:  http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/.  He is, IMHO, one of the nations preeminent authorities on foreign assault weapons.  He runs the Sturmgewehr board, and although a little anal about running his sight (runs flawlessly, though!), he is very helpful if you post questions in the Semi/NFA forum on the Sturm board.  But first, check out the pic thread and look for the Galil section.

Great Answer , Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great Answer , Thanks

Happy I could help!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]
This was taken from Valmet-weapons.com.  Wish it was still up!

5.56mm Magnum Research Rifles

MR no model # (appears to be a Model 361 but is not marked) - 5.56mm AR, 18" bbl., bayonet lug on barrel, no bipod or bipod attachment point, M-16 style flash suppressor, has spring loaded firing pin, rifle is stamped Galil above scope mounting notch.  Serial # in MR0051x range.  (1 rifle reported)

MR 361 - 5.56mm AR, 18" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on bbl., bipod lug milled off gas block, M-16 style flash suppressor.  Early models had a "straight trigger" as found on Valmets.  Serial # in MR00064xrange.  (1 rifle reported)

MR 372 - 5.56mm ARM, 18" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on bbl., bipod, M-16 style flash suppressor.  Serial #s from MR0028xx to MR003xxx.  (3 rifles reported)

7.62mm Magnum Research Rifles

MR 331 - 7.62mm AR, 20" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on barrel, bipod attachment milled off gas block, M-16 style flash suppressor.  Serial# in MR04xxx to MR046xx range.  Caliber is marked &ldquo 7.62/.308&rdquo.  (2 rifles reported)

MR 332 - 7.62mm ARM, 20" bbl., bayonet lug on bbl., M-16 style flash suppressor.  (0 rifles reported)

MR 332 - 7.62mm AR, 16.5" bbl., no bayonet lug, no bipod or attachment, plastic handguard, M-16 style flash suppressor.  Serial # in MR069xx range.  Appears to have been a "Special Run" of rifles.  (1 rifle reported)

It appears that all MR Serial #s are located behind the rear handguard (vertically) on the "left" side of the rifle.

There appears to be transitional variants of Model 331, 332, 361, and 372 rifles during the MR/AA change over period.   The Model 331,332, & 361 rifles as imported by AA hold true for the descriptions listed under their MR brethren.  The only difference is they contained milled out areas on the receiver where the MR importation marks and serial # prefixes have been removed and the AA data added.

Some Model 372 ARM rifles have been reported with more noticeable differences.  They appear to be an AR/ARM combination.  Their features are as follows:  Model 372, 5.56mm, 18" bbl., 1-12" rifling twist, black plastic handguard, bayonet lug, bipod attachment point w/o bipod, Galil style flash suppressor, and no carrying handle.   Additionally, they have a shallow "milled out area" on the left side of the receiver where the MR importation marks and serial # prefixes have been removed and the AA data added.  It appears these rifles were originally MR rifles, but were "redone" to have AA markings.  The Serial #s are in the AAL3xxx range and are located behind the rear handguard (vertically) on the "left" side of the rifle.

AA 361 - 5.56mm AR (transitional), 18&rdquo bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on barrel, no bipod, Galil style flash suppressor.  Serial # in AAL000xxxto AAL011xx range and located vertically behind the rear handguard.  These rifles are not marked Galil and have milled out areas on their receivers. (3 rifles reported)

AA 372 - 5.56mm ARM, 18" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug, bipod, M-16 style (early) flash suppressor or Galil style (later) flash suppressor. Serial # in AA03xxx to AAL207750x range.  Early rifles had bayonet lugs on a ring pinned onto the bbl. and later rifles have them attached to the front end of the gas block.  (6 rifles reported)

AA 386 - 5.56mm AR, 16" bbl., 1-12" twist, no bayonet lug, no bipod attachment point, Galil style flash suppressor.   Serial # in AAL207765x to AAL209xxxx range.  (4 rifles reported)

AA 392 - 5.56mm ARM, 16" bbl., 1-12" twist, no bayonet lug, Galil style flash suppressor.  Serial #s in AAL207910x to AAL207947x range.  (3 rifles reported)

AA 392S - 5.56mm "ARM Sporter", 16" bbl., 1-7" twist, wood handguard,carry handle, no bayonet lug, no bipod, but has bipod attachment pt., no night sights, threaded muzzle.  (1 rifle reported)

AA 397S - 5.56mm "AR Sporter", 16" bbl., 1-7" twist, black plastic handguard, no carry handle, no bayonet lug, no bipod attachment pt., no night sights, threaded muzzle.  Serial # in AAL210xxxx to AAL21005xx range. (3 rifles reported)

AA 710S - 5.56mm &ldquoARM Sporter&rdquo, 16" bbl., 1-7" twist, wood thumb-holestock, wood ARM hand guard, no carrying handle, no night sights, threaded muzzle, bipod attachment point.  Serial # in AAL 210022x range. (1 rifle reported)

AA 331 - 7.62mm AR (transitional), 20" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on barrel, no bipod or bipod attachment point, Galil style flash suppressor. Serial # in AAL049xx range and located vertically behind the rear handguard.  These rifles are not marked Galil and have milled out areas on their receivers.  (3 rifles reported)

AA 323 - 7.62mm ARM, 18" bbl., 1-12" twist, no bayonet lug, bipod, Galil style flash suppressor, Serial # in AAL2089xxx to AAL2094xxx range.  (4 rifles reported)

AA 329 - 7.62mm AR, 18" bbl., no bayonet lug, no bipod attachment, Galil style flash suppressor, Serial # in AAL209094x range.  (1 rifle reported)

AA 332 - 7.62mm ARM, 20" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug on bbl., bipod,Galil style flash suppressor, Serial # in AAL2078xxx range.  (2 riflesreported)  There is one unique transitional rifle reported with the following characteristics:  Serial # in  MR076xx range and located vertically behind the rear handguard, not stamped Galil, but imported by Action Arms.  Yes, it has the MR prefix.  Box and paperworkare dated 1992.  The receiver does have milled out areas.

AA 329S - 7.62mm "AR Sporter", 18" bbl., black plastic handguard, thumbhole stock, no bayonet lug, no bipod attachment point, no night sights, threaded muzzle.  Serial # in AAL209xxxx range.  (2 rifles reported)

GS 386 - 5.56mm AR.  Serial # in GS2095xxx.  No "S" after Model #.  (Only 1 riflereported).

GS 710-S - 5.56mm "ARM Sporter", 16" barrel, 1-7" twist, wood thumb-hole stock, wood ARM hand guard, no carrying handle, no night sights. Serial # in GS2100xxx range.  (1 rifle reported)  There is also a GS 710 rifle reported without the S stamped after the model number and without the GS Serial # prefix.  Serial # in 210020x.

7.62mm Springfield Armory Rifles

GS 329-S - 7.62mm "AR Sporter", 18" barrel, 1-12" twist, wood thumb-hole stock, black plastic hand guard, no night sights.  Serial # in GS2099xxx range.  (1 rifle reported)

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Ugh ,

Thanks for the great post!
Question?
At the end of each listing there is (# rifles reported)
Is this the total number that were inported? Seems a little low on some models.

Do you know the total number of pre-89 Galils by caliber that were inported?

Thans for all help.
Para069

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I think this info was generated from an online questionaire of Galil users.  Where it said 1 rifle reported it means 1 person with that rifle responded.  

Not sure on total number of Galils.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
"AA 372 - 5.56mm ARM, 18" bbl., 1-12" twist, bayonet lug, bipod, M-16 style (early) flash suppressor or Galil style (later) flash suppressor. Serial # in AA03xxx to AAL207750x range. Early rifles had bayonet lugs on a ring pinned onto the bbl. and later rifles have them attached to the front end of the gas block. (6 rifles reported)"

This is the Galil (NIB) that I have.  It was imported just after AA took over from MR, and is in the AA03XXX range.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Found some info from Yog that said a total of 7000 - 9000 galils came into the country.  Didn't have the pre/post ban numbers, or the numbers per importer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Great  post Ugh. Appreciate it.

Are the AA 372 more desirable/valuable than the AA 392? I'm beginning to seriously shop
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Great  post Ugh. Appreciate it.

Are the AA 372 more desirable/valuable than the AA 392? I'm beginning to seriously shop

The 372s, from what I've seen (and I SCOUR all the "guns for sale" boards) tends to go for a little more than the 392.  
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top