Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2005 6:26:45 PM EDT
To all the galil owners(I'm jealous), how does the rear sight perform in keeping zero?  I've always heard that they lose zero quickly and that's why many Israeli soldiers disliked them.  Is this true?  I'd like to hear your experiences.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing you're asking since the rear sight on a Galil is mounted to the receiver cover which is subject to  slight movement.  The Valmet also has this design.  I wonder if Finnish soldiers have had any complaints?  I own a pre-89 ban Galil AR and the one thing you can notice about it is how tightly the receiver cover fits on especially compared to a regular AK type rifle.  The cover is much thicker too and the receiver catch on the recoil spring is longer that on an regular AK.  I've personally never noticed the rear sight on my Galil getting off zero but then again, I usually only plink with it at about 50 to 75 yards.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My Valmet 62 top cover has no problem keeping zero.

Weight and cost were/are the two contributing factors to the Galil's demise in Israel. The biggest factor is that it is cheaper (basically free) for the Israelis to buy M16's with US foreign aid money than to spend their own money to make Galils.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
So why did they mill the galil receiver?  I heard something about because the pressure on NATO 5.56 is much higher than 7.62x39, but even an AK-74 is stamped and I'm assuming the 5.45 round is similar to 5.56.  If seems like if galil's were stamped, you could have a quite lightweight and deadly rifle at a cheaper cost as well.  Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

...Galil's demise in Israel. The biggest factor is that it is cheaper (basically free) for the Israelis to buy M16's with US foreign aid money than to spend their own money to make Galils.

Actually there is lots of other hardware they would rather buy, but the IDF overwhelmingly prefer the M16s.  Plus they have plenty of Galils, and they are usually issued to non front line combat units. They actually even preferred AKs to 223 Galils.
As far as me, I love the 223 Galil, used to shoot one a lot with an OEG, and it's the one rifle I've never had but want.  But not enough to trade my Valmet for it.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top