Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/26/2005 5:38:41 PM EDT
Does anyone have an Aimpoint on their Galil?  If so, did you mount it and does it work well where you mounted it.   I would like to mount one on mine but am not sure where to find a rail.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Botach has a rail that replaces the gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll look again on Botach to see if I can find the rail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm having a hard time finding anything for Galils at Botach other than Mags.  They used to have a lot of parts on their website.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't use the hyperlink to Scopetica's mount. They are using trick photos. That mount is seriously canted upward, and is not parallel to the bore's axis. See the attached photo.  

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Galil/Galil_Scope_Mount_AR15_Type_D.jpg
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm having a hard time finding anything for Galils at Botach other than Mags.  They used to have a lot of parts on their website.

I ordered a Galil bolt assembly about a month and a half ago and it took until just about last week to get to my door.  What was advertised as a "new bolt assembly" came to my house looking a bit used.  However, it was in good working order, so I really saw no problems with it.  The wait and the constant phone calls to their customer service, on the other hand, makes me wish I had called ahead to confirm the availability of the part, before I placed my order online.

-JZ
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Jim_X,
I was thinking on grtting one of the Scopetica mounts for my Galil as shown in your picture. Looks like I should stay away and not get one. Their asking price is also high.

Do you know of another place where I can purchase this type of mount as I would like to put one of my AR scopes on it.

Thanks
Louie...
PS: hear leepers is going to produce this type of mount shortlybut, don't know for sure!
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I put an IMI mount on mine and changed the bolt carrier to one that points out instead of up and it is easier to chamber..
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I see, good point.......
Louie..
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
louieclone1, I purchased both the IMI channel style, and IMI weaver style from a man named "dano" around 3 years ago. These are the military mounts. Last summer he told me that he was no longer selling on the i-net. I think that I paid around $275 for the weaver style and around $225 for the channel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Jin_X, been off the board a bit and just seen your note. I have purchased from Dano before and believe you are correct that he is not on the net selling. I posted a WTB ad for night sights and he responded. Did get them from him and, he sent them to Todd @ ORF who is building an ARM for me. I know he still has scope mounts also around the cost of what you have posted (don't remember off hand what the exact cost would be as he did send me a note). Have to save my $$$ if I am to get one from him.

However, I do hear that Leepers is building a scope mount for the Galil's and should be done with production sometime in early June. They will then send to their distributors but, don't know $$$ cost for these.  Do you know if anyone has heard the same thing?????

Thanks
Louie clone..........
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
louieclone1, I feel that if you go the Leapers route, that the phrase "you get what you pay for" will come to pass. From Sarco, I purchased a Leapers, Colt style variable power scope for the Ar15. I took ONE look through it and regretted my purchase. Called Sarco and returned it the same day! Cost me around $15-20 to return it. Leapers makes garbage. Be prepared by finding out the return shipping policy in case of dissatisfaction.
Buy a well made, expensive item, cry once. Buy Leapers and put it on a $2000 Galil and you'll probably regret it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Jim_X, Lumpy196,

Jim_X, thanks for the leepers info.  This is much appreciated.

I have been looking around and found the Army TacShop in Israel selling a Galil scope mount. Below is their ad I copied from GunBroker:

ArmyTacShop: Scope Mount for GALIL rifle, Quick release throw lever attaches to Galil side. Mount fits M-16 military style scopes: LACK or ACOG Scopes. IMI (Israel Military Industries) Original & Brand New.
Scope is made of Aluminum, Release Lever made of Steel. Auction is for one mount.

Their price is $99.95.  With shipping from Israel it would be $111.95… I looked at some of the pictures they posted on their site and it does not look bad at all. I guess the mount is IMI made… Will look into this further into this one and the one PRI makes..

Thanks for your replies!
Louieclone

PS:  Lumpy196, does the 196 stand for the 196 Light Infantry Brigade? That was the unit I was with in Viet Nam many years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
the gunbroker mount and the one from scopetica look on in the same. I'ld avoid them. Lumpy's mount looks like the Action Arms style that I also own, in addition to the military ones mentioned previously.

AA was one of the importers of the Galil, after  Magnum Research. When I had purchased my rifle, I couldn't, at the time, afford the Isralie military mount. The AA mount is made of high quality aluminium. It is secured by a steel dove tail in the gun's reciever, and to that, with 2 set screws and a thumb wheel, about 1 1/4" diameter. The t-wheel is mounted onto a 1/8" threaded shaft which goes into the dove tail. It is over the bore's center, and has an iron sight channel. Do not consider this mount to be a "quick release". Even though it is presented as such.

If you must buy cheap, buy this, around $150.

Instructions are not provided for this mount, and I cracked my receiver installing it. If you get one, post the info and I'll tell you how to avoid that. Hindsight is great as a learning experiance.

How much are you paying for this gun?  

Buy the high quality military mount!!!! Or you will probably by twice like I did!

When I get a digital camera, I'm going to put one or both of my Action Arms mounts on e-bay....The Original Military Mounts are steel and well made. They are keepers!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Jim_X,
thanks for the tons of info. It is appreciated.

I did send Franco an email and waiting to hear back from him on the mount.

Would hate to crack my receiver, as this would tick me off big time. I am still looking around but in no hurry as waiting on Todd to finish my ARM build.

Regarding cost, it is a little more expensive then what Atlantic Firearms is charging because I am having him build me one with 16” barrel –vs- an 18” barrel. He is also going to install the night sights I got from Dano on it for me. Don’t know if I am paying to much but I have been looking around for an ARM in 223 and the cost are just to high.

Thanks again for the info..
Louieclone
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Aimpoint on my Galil carbine...  It works like a champ... I have restored the photos from my "Galil rebuild" sticky post above...

I hope that this helps...

Brad
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Brad, took a look at your rebuild post-->very nice!
Louie.......
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top