Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
I just received my ORF receiver and ran into a problem.  When I try to rotate the bolt in the receiver to check the headspace, the bolt won't rotate.  I called Todd @ ORF and he told me to file away some material from the left side of the bolt so that it would fit.  Does this sound logical?  I thought that the receivers were made to exact IMI specs, which doesn't seem to be the case since my brand new IMI .223 bolt won't fit.

Thanks,

William
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The ORF Galil receiver comes with a few "challenges".  See below recent threads under this forum.  Also look here for review of ORF Galil receiver.  It is buildable, but takes additional steps.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/pagenotes.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I think that this is one that will be shipped off to be built.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, what Krinov556 says. The link to Arizona Response Systems is very informative , although a little depressing as the review of the the receiver is a little bleak. That guy though, has built multiple Galils and I get the distinct impression he won't build on an ORF receiver.
In his notes, I recognised issues I had with my receiver and I guess I'm not the only one that had issues/concerns. Welcome to the club William!!.
It can be built , but for someone earning their living from this kind of business, maybe it won't be worth the hassle . Don't know for sure. You'll have to ask around.
Don't know what ORF would charge you to build it. Just an idea.
Good Luck.
Almost forgot, my new IMI bolt wouldn't rotate. In my case the ejector was engaging the bolt  body.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree that it's a bit depressing.  I'm going to send my kit off to Brian at Hot51 to build it.  He did a great job for me on a G3K.

William
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It is very depressing.  I should have shelled out the $600 for a real IMI receiver when I had the chance.  There is no money savings with the ORF receiver considering all the work that is required to get it to work.  I have already seen two Galil builders say no way on filing the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Filing the corners of new AK bolts is nothing new.  For example, new KVAR bolts come with the left lug squared on the bottom front - it requires fitting to the receiver and the bolt ramp of the bullet guide.  Nothing new there.  Also filing the back surfaces of bolt lugs is normal practice in force matching numbers but one needs the correct setup to manitain the proper lug angle.  

On the other hand, IMHO the receiver dimensions should be such that the bolt lug corners should not have to be modified on these bolts.  It's a work around.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top