AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/4/2002 4:17:49 AM EDT
Any alternatives to the hesse receiver?
how much $?

I checked sarco's site but couldn't find
any IMI galil receivers.

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Check around the add boards at different sites for an IMI.  You need to be ready to pay a premium.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
According to campybob, it is possible to use an AK receiver from The Firing Line. IIRC, he said it would require a bit of milling on the bottom of the receiver. The threads would need to be milled off the barrel and pressed into the receiver. I'm sure he can explain it better, FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiosity, what is your beef with the Hesse?  I know they have hosed up other receivers, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Plus their stainless FAL receivers weren't half bad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
if you really need me to explain this then
I think you would not like nor accept my answer.

check around this board and many others (fal files, etc.) for more info on people's experience with hesse.

I personally have had several bad experiences
this hesse. there are many other companies
which have much better reputations and better quality equipment. I don't need to go with a
company which has burned me and other before.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am on the FAL Files a lot.  Most of the Hesse bashing over there is "noise" by people with no first hand experience.  I have a Hesse stainless on a "mutt" FAL:
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/FALPhil/MuttFAL_small.jpg

It works great.  I have worked on a bunch of C.A.I. receivers that were out of spec (along with crappy assembly).  I have not had to work on any Hesses.

I am sorry about your bad experiences.  I have not had those.  I am assembiln a Galil AR on a Hesse receiver.  I'll let the group know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#7]

as far as the galil goes, the choices are limited to altering a bulgarian, the firingline, disassebling a valmet and hesse. the hesse is probably a viable choice here, also.

If I could find an IMI receiver, I would have used it.  Right now, Hesse is the only game in town for an off-the-shelf, ready to go receiver.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
My local gunshop refuses to order any Hesse products, because they are not waranted...but personally, I have owned a Hesse FAL for three years now, shot it extensively with "0" problems, found it to be reliable and accurate.
I did however add a recoil buffer in the reciever (buffer technolgies. Is there any quality report available on the hesse Galils yet? I'm very curious. GW
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there any quality report available on the hesse Galils yet? I'm very curious. GW

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92534

I saw a review somewhere else, it pretty much said that it jammed on either American ammo or surplus. I can't remember which. Not that it matters, any kind of AK variant should have ZERO reliability problems, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I have first hand experience here.  I bought a HeXXe Model 47 RPK and it turned out to be a piece of crap.

When I tried to work with them to make it right, they just blew me off.  I'm sure that I'm one of many who have received the same type of product/service from HeXXe Firearms.

Is there an alternative to a HeXXe "Hegal" receiver?  Yes.  Buy a pre-ban or keep looking for an IMI post-ban receiver.  You won't regret it when you carry it proudly at the next gunshow or shoot it at the range.  You will be the envy of your buddies, instead of "Oh shit, that's a frickin HeXXe!"

You can see my whole story with photos at:

www.angelfire.com/ak5/rpkman/

"Friends don't let friends buy HeXXe"

KF
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I don't buy complete guns any more.  I think there is a huge difference between buying a receiver from Hesse and buying a complete gun from Hesse.  After the welded in trunion fiasco, I would tend to be a little suspect, too.  However, having control over the assembly quality personally, I do not anticipate any problems with the reciever, just like the FAL build.

Meeper is installing my gas block on my AR for me.  When I get the gun together, I'll give a complete rundown on how well the Hesse receiver works.  I'll be using the RSA FCG, the ACE grip, and my own Galil recoil compensator.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'm sold on one thing - never buying a Hexxe! hock.gif
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
give this company a call  New Helvetia Trade Group (NHM CO) 1-800-704-4867.  I picked up a Galil Sporter from them earlier this year for $250.00. I did a search at this site and GOOGLE and nothing came up, so I dont think they have a web page. On my receiver (left side) it reads  GALIL SPORTER (below this) IMI * ISRAEL. The have ads in SGN but I dont remember seeing any GALIL receivers lately. I picked up a UZI receiver this month that is IMI and its from the same company and also has IMI * ISRAEL. Give it a sot and see if they have any or if they have some in rout, cant hurt.

FYI if you are loking for a parts kit look hard for the quality varies and it can cost an arm and leg. I got mine as refurbished and paid what companys are now selling as good plus. Also mags are a little spendi as well, I picked up 10 mags from DSA that are South African made. When I got them they look new. I did pay $270.00 for ten mags. GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Fal Phil,
Any progress with the Hesse Galil receiver? Good , Bad, or Ugly?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top