Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/25/2020 2:21:13 PM EDT
I want Jeff Miller aka Hillbilly Firearms to build my IMI Galil. I know next to nothing about them, other than they are similar in terms of function to an AK-47 and they look badass.

So far I have procured the following:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-arm-parts-kit-with-polymer-handguard-imi-israel-223-5-56x45-nato-very-good.html

It's an ARM kit from APEX less barrel/receiver.

I just placed an order for this Tort Tort receiver:

https://tortort.com/products/100-complete-milled-galil

Now, all I need is a quality barrel. I have search far and low and just cannot find any original 18" IMI CL barrels. I don't need it to be new but still in good condition with strong rifling.  Is there a source where I can find a chrome-lined barrel?  Are folks using the USA-Made 18" 1x7 barrels?  I know they are not lined or nitride treated. How well do they hold up? Jeff recommended nitride barrels, but again I cannot find them online.  On Gunbroker I see some short 14.5-16" chrome-lined IMI barrels up for auction, would these work on my build? I know for the 14.5" barrel it'll need a tax stamp unless the FH is welded on.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-barrel-ar-arm-5-56x45-nato-parkd-new.html

Also, is there a preference between a barrel that is 1x7 vs 1x12 twist? I primarily shoot M193 55gr Wolf Gold and AE.

If I want to add a bipod I will need to source a bipod cut wooden handguard. Is there a source for this a BPC wooden handguard?

Anything else I should look into regarding 922r parts or new parts that should be replaced on an old parts kit?

Thanks for the insight!
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, this may take a while to have done...but have Jeff source a custom barrel for your build.  He can have it nitrided.  

I had him source a 1/9 barrel from a guy who turns barrels to his spec.  Since a Galil by any other name is still essentially an AK, I personally wouldn't worry about running super heavy ammo like 72 and 77 grain,etc.  Mine's runs 55 and 62 with equal and GREAT accuracy.  I mean STUPID accurate.  (This is just my personal preference, you go with the twist that YOU are comfortable with)

The only thing I can't advise you on is a trigger.  I tried both the stock trigger and the ALG....both are typical AK sloppy.  That is just inherent in the design.  I will try a Red Star Arms trigger...maybe later this year...but since I got laid off due to this COVID bullshit, I have to wait a while before I can get back into the game.

I think you will be much better off with the Tortort than the CNC Warrior.....though my issues were NOT the fault of CNC Warrior...it had to do with print revisions on my kit ( same as yours ) versus the specs and print revision that the CNC Warrior was built to. (there were a couple major print changes over time, as I understand it)  

Regardless, Jeff got it all ironed out and my gun is a SHOOTER!!!  A solid, solid shooter!

Anyhow, here is my masterpiece that Jeff built for me:

This may not be cheap...but I am telling you, it WILL be worth it.  I HATE everything AK...and I utterly LOVE this gun. LOVE IT!!!!

By the way, Jeff can source handguards for you if you want the wood ones.  Mine came to me very white and unfinished which was exactly what I wanted because I wanted to stain the guards to look oil soaked and aged
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a beautiful build you have, desertmoon!

I spoke with Jeff Miller at Hillbilly Firearms, quite the character I must add. I'll be going with him to do my build as he said he can turn a barrel blank to whatever length and twist rate I desire. He will then send it for nitride treatment. The total cost for the barrel job will be roughly $180 on top of his build labor.  All my AR's are 1x7 twist and they handle 55gr-62gr all distances I shoot at. I will do the same with the Galil barrel.

I ordered an ARM kit from Apex and I'm hoping it won't have missing parts. As for the Tort Tort receiver I am debating whether I want the lightening cuts or not. Trigger wise, I simply cannot find Tapco G2 or ALG FCG in stock so I will go with the Red Star Arms Galil .223 AK Trigger.

Thanks for your insight!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a beautiful build you have, desertmoon!

I spoke with Jeff Miller at Hillbilly Firearms, quite the character I must add. I'll be going with him to do my build as he said he can turn a barrel blank to whatever length and twist rate I desire. He will then send it for nitride treatment. The total cost for the barrel job will be roughly $180 on top of his build labor.  All my AR's are 1x7 twist and they handle 55gr-62gr all distances I shoot at. I will do the same with the Galil barrel.

I ordered an ARM kit from Apex and I'm hoping it won't have missing parts. As for the Tort Tort receiver I am debating whether I want the lightening cuts or not. Trigger wise, I simply cannot find Tapco G2 or ALG FCG in stock so I will go with the Red Star Arms Galil .223 AK Trigger.

Thanks for your insight!
View Quote

Sounds like a good plan!  BTW: if you want functional night nights...there is a guy who refurbishes them.  Let me know if you want his contact info.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
By the way: lightening cuts on both sides.  Do NOT be an idiot like me and put an AK scope mount on it....you WILL regret it.  I sure do.  Made my good looking gun look like shit.  Stupidest thing I have ever done.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top