Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/23/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
My old buffer is breaking down due to age. It is in a IMI Galil ARM. It was a South African buffer I bought and installed many years ago.

Did the Israeli Military use buffers in their Galils? I'm not even sure it is really needed.

What ya'll think? (yes- I know it can't hurt but as much as I shoot it it may just be a waste).

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya know...I've been running my build without one for some time now.  Though the Galil is sort of a heavy piece...I do notice the "abrupt" recoil but it certainly isn't heavy.  I was thinking of throwing an OEM design buffer in it for some time now....but it runs so good as is that I am just too lazy to commit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned, I currently have a South African one that is circular and goes inside the rear where the stock joins with the receiver. It is crumbling- not worn from use but from age. Perhaps the R4 (South African) used them, but not sure if IMI used them in their military guns. Yea- I know it's not much dollar wise, but I buy one in a flash if it was really needed.

I have several AK types and have never used a buffer in them and they are just fine. I do not like the type of buffer that goes on the backside of the recoil rod, to me, they limit the travel of the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Israel never used them in their galils. They're not necessary. However, if you want to replace it, 24hourtactical has them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI, they are made to be rotated when worn.  If it is cracking / worn on top, remove the pin and rotate it.  I have also hear of some drilling another hole to be able to get four rotations.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard AK buffer should work also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

It's not worn from taking a beating (I'm not sure it ever has any hit marking on it), but crumbling/pieces just breaking off. They must disintegrate over time. Maybe I had oil on it at some time.

I'm probably get another one just because. Guess I got my money's worth out of the last one- it has to be 25/30 years old. :O)

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you. I am aware of those but to me they shorten the movement of the bolt carrier. The South African ones at least allow full carrier movement.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My NOS Glilon doesn’t have one.. so I guess it’s not needed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you. I am aware of those but to me they shorten the movement of the bolt carrier. The South Africian ones at least allow full carrier movement.
View Quote

I had REALLY bad luck with the AK type buffer. (I don't like buffers in general....excepting the AR design, of course)
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI, the new Galil ACE uses an ak style buffer from the factory. You can probably get them from iwi store too.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top