Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/3/2020 10:26:42 AM EDT
Hey guys!! When did the IDF discontinue the carrying handle on their Galil rifles??Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Galil’s are second level reservist and war reserve rifles now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The ARM model had the carry handle and bipod, there are other versions, a quick Wikipedia search will give you more info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you are asking when the ARM model, which has a bipod and carry handle, got rid of the carry handle. The IDF actually never officially “removed” the carry handle or the bipod from the IDF issued Galil ARM. Think it was done more by the individual soldiers. The ARM handguards got bounced around a lot, especially with the carry handle. Yanking on the carry handle could cause the rear handguard retainer to move back and forth and damage the wood panels. The wood pegs that fit into the rear retainer could break and cause the handguard to pop out of place. It was not a good design, the FAL carry handle mounting was more secure. They did do away with it on the later “export” ARM’s with the plastic panels, like on the South African R4. That’s a great IDF photo, it’s hardly ever seen. It appeared in a 1983 book, Battlefield, the weapons of modern warfare, by Christopher Foss and Ian Hogg. The soldier is wearing the early/first version of the Israeli EPHOD, web gear, with the “shoelaces” attaching the belt to the shoulder straps. Your photo was in a 1983 book, so I would guess it was taken around 1982, Beirut.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dubagel:
I think you are asking when the ARM model, which has a bipod and carry handle, got rid of the carry handle. The IDF actually never officially “removed” the carry handle or the bipod from the IDF issued Galil ARM. Think it was done more by the individual soldiers. The ARM handguards got bounced around a lot, especially with the carry handle. Yanking on the carry handle could cause the rear handguard retainer to move back and forth and damage the wood panels. The wood pegs that fit into the rear retainer could break and cause the handguard to pop out of place. It was not a good design, the FAL carry handle mounting was more secure. They did do away with it on the later “export” ARM’s with the plastic panels, like on the South African R4. That’s a great IDF photo, it’s hardly ever seen. It appeared in a 1983 book, Battlefield, the weapons of modern warfare, by Christopher Foss and Ian Hogg. The soldier is wearing the early/first version of the Israeli EPHOD, web gear, with the “shoelaces” attaching the belt to the shoulder straps. Your photo was in a 1983 book, so I would guess it was taken around 1982, Beirut.
View Quote

Thank you very much for the in-depth answer. I really appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dubagel:
I think you are asking when the ARM model, which has a bipod and carry handle, got rid of the carry handle. The IDF actually never officially “removed” the carry handle or the bipod from the IDF issued Galil ARM. Think it was done more by the individual soldiers. The ARM handguards got bounced around a lot, especially with the carry handle. Yanking on the carry handle could cause the rear handguard retainer to move back and forth and damage the wood panels. The wood pegs that fit into the rear retainer could break and cause the handguard to pop out of place. It was not a good design, the FAL carry handle mounting was more secure. They did do away with it on the later “export” ARM’s with the plastic panels, like on the South African R4. That’s a great IDF photo, it’s hardly ever seen. It appeared in a 1983 book, Battlefield, the weapons of modern warfare, by Christopher Foss and Ian Hogg. The soldier is wearing the early/first version of the Israeli EPHOD, web gear, with the “shoelaces” attaching the belt to the shoulder straps. Your photo was in a 1983 book, so I would guess it was taken around 1982, Beirut.
View Quote

That's great info dating the picture. Those rifles look to have been in service for a while. On the soldier facing the camera, I can't clearly see the the rear HG retainer to note whether or not it has the  mount for the carry handle, but the hand guard never had the CH clearance cut from the factory. With both having the look of similar use, the HG appears it may be original to the rifle,which would mean it was issued without the CH.

ETA: pic
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I pulled out my book with the 9”x9” photo. I don’t see the notch cut out either for the carry handle pivot pin. It does present somewhat of a mystery and a conundrum. I just looked closely at 3 other photos in that book with the one shown in this thread. I can clearly see the ARM’s with no carry handle, no pivot pin loop on the rear retainer, and no clearance notch cut in the wood handguard panel. I looked through some of my extensive Israeli military book collection. There are definitely many photos from Beirut/Lebanon 1982 and up into the 1990’s. It is very clear in the photos that many the IDF’s ARM’s had no carry handles, have a clean rear retainer, no loop and absolutely no clearance notch in the wood panel for a carry handle pivot pin. I could easily see soldiers removing the carry handle as well as also grinding off the loop. But you would still have the relief notch in the wood panel. So it definitely appears the IDF did away with the carry handle and did get ARM’s made without the carry handle and a lot earlier than thought.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a carry handle on my Galeo, notching the wood was easy, just went slow. the "pin" that holds the handle to the retainer needed to be filed for clearance of
the receiver but about 30 seconds with a dremel on the edge of the pin and bluing touch up and it went together great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My wood handle on my Galeo came already notched. I got one of the reproduction from  Makman90 over at AKFiles. It should have by the end of the weekAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My wooden handguards from Apex were notched too, I got my makman carry handle kit about 10 days ago. It’s very well made and has some heft to it. I dropped off all of my parts to my smith last week, he said I’m number 15 in the order so I’m trying to forget about it. It’s going to be a long wait...
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Purchase the hand guard carrying handle from Makman off AKFiles .com
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127394/72992BE9-7B18-4A2E-AF1F-C3E4DC38D1AF_jpe-1414601.JPG
Purchase the hand guard carrying handle from Makman off AKFiles .com
View Quote

Hello!!!  That is SWEEEET!!!

ETA: @marcus5819: does that include the rear ferule AND the handle?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes!! Handle, ferule or retainer and pin
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top