Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/4/2019 4:58:35 PM EDT
I just ordered a parts kit, I am now looking for a receiver. Who makes the best receivers for a Galil build?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tortort
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
CNC Warrior
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tortort
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Tortort!

Is there an echo in here?

Atlantic has them ready to ship!

If you want the Israeli details like the scope mount, lightening cut, or engravings, Jeff Miller (Hillbilly Firearms, the Galil Whisperer) can add them but they are pricey options.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I’ll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

ETA  I did find contact for Hillbilly firearms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

View Quote
Jeff is your guy.  Go with a Tortort 80 percent and have Jeff build it to your kit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jeff is your guy.  Go with a Tortort 80 percent and have Jeff build it to your kit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll grab one of these receivers as soon as I get some extra cash.  So does anyone have contact information for Tenngalil or Jeff? These are the names that I keep hearing when it comes to building Galil .

How hard is it to complete an 80%? What tools are needed? I don’t have anything other than hand held power tools.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Atlantic's Tortort receivers are complete, not 80%, although Tortort does sell an 80% on their own website.  To finish an 80%, I suggest you at least have access to a drill press, along with the corresponding, undersize drill bits and finish reamers(5mm, 7mm, 10mm, and 11mm) and probably a 6 or 8 inch set of calipers to mark the trigger/hammer/selector holes prior to drilling.  I purchased two of Tortort 80%'s in different batches(one in June and one in August of 2019).  The first receiver needed to have cutouts completed on the underside of the receiver for the trigger, pistol grip nut, and thumb safety slot.  The second receiver came with these cutouts already finished, leaving only the 6 holes to bore on the receiver right and left sides (and just a little finish work on the thumb safety slot for ease of movement).

The ejector also needs to be cut out, and that needs to be done carefully so that the part isn't overheated (Dremel beware), which will ruin the temper.  You also need to go slowly and check fit as you go; otherwise, you could easily take off too much material.

That's just the beginning, though.  There is the actual rifle assembly.  You will need to properly torque the barrel into the receiver and check headspace.  You need to be able to press on the front sight, drill the pin holes, and drill the gas port, and make sure that all of those measurements line up with the gas tube length, as well as the fit of the top cover.  The front sight tower needs to be on straight so that your sights align.  There is riveting required for the bullet guide and trigger guard.

There is a tutorial on assembly over at Weaponsguild.com.   Go to the "Parts Kit Builds" section and find the "AK" page.  It's a sticky near the top of that section, although it only deals with a complete, registered receiver.  I have not seen an 80% tutorial online.  If you still have lots of questions, check out Weaponsguild, and if you still have questions after that, get in touch with hillbillyfirearms.com, as Jeff Miller is as good a source as you'll find on the subject.  There is a lot of information that you need to be aware of prior to starting this type of project.  I put off building one of these for years, as it was quite a bit more complicated that putting together a regular AK kit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How hard is it to complete an 80%? What tools are needed? I don't have anything other than hand held power tools.
View Quote
I wouldn't build it at home without a hell of a good milling machine.  I'd have Jeff build it to the kit I sent him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wouldn't build it at home without a hell of a good milling machine.  I'd have Jeff build it to the kit I sent him.
View Quote
Agreed.  I didn't do mine until I bought a mill.  Mine's a Little Machine Shop model 3990 (mini-mill), and the ability to accurately place the pin holes is a tremendous improvement over calipers and a drill press.  Just ask my AK receivers.  Huge difference.  A small boring head can cut the 10 and 11mm holes, too, without the need to purchase more drill bits and reamers.  It also allowed me to quickly build a decent barrel wrench out of scrap steel.

In addition to a mill, it doesn't hurt to have a 10 or 20 ton shop press at your disposal, either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
torttort all the way
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up buying a 100% Tortort receiver and I dropped all of the parts off at the smith last month. The wait begins, I hope to have it before summer is over...
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have purchased 2 receivers from TORTORT.  Both have problems.  The standard galil was relatively easy to fix and overall is a beautiful receiver, the other was a MICRO receiver that Jeff Miller did (including some custom work)  ...I was shocked that he would send out a receiver that had so many issues.  it should have never have been sold for any thing less that a second, but with his reputation i would have figured it would never have seen the light of day and simply should have been cut in half and tossed in the trash.   I ruffled Jeffs feathers when i called him out on all the problem (included the fact that the trigger and hammer pins had been drilled in the wrong spot, then welded and redrilled) today I am still  waiting for resolution Ben promised.  Its been nearly 8 months since Ben and I agreed on the resolution to the problems,  I will update when resolved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm.
let's see- you called and said you had a problem with the rec.

i did listen to your problem and offered your money back on the cost of the rec. and any engraving you had me do.
nothing more or less than i'd expect if i had bought something.

no feathers ruffled- yet.

that was not good enough- you wanted a free rec.?
and no- after the first telling of all your reasons you are entitled to free rec. my feathers weren't ruffled- but after the 4th or 5th time i got pretty pissed.

i'm not there anymore but- i will simply say it again- ain't gonna happen- not then, not now.

i'll refund the purchase price +whatever you spent on engraving- that is what i offered then and what i offer now.

simply return the rec. as sent to you and a check goes the next day- simple.

the only reason you didn't have your money before is you refused to return the part without getting something for nothing.

so, balls in your court.
send it back- move on.

oh, and just in case you forgot what i told you before Ben has no say in this- the MAR's are my baby and my call not his.

just an update- i checked my tablet for your job- did i mention i love my new software?

strange thing is the first two pics. in your folder are of the repair on the holes.
why would i need pics. of that?
simple- i wouldn't.
i took those to send to you to show what the deal was when i told you it had been repaired.
and you agreed there would be no issues otherwise i wouldn't have went forward with the engraving and other work.

the next pics. show the engraving and all the extra work you wanted done as you couldn't do it yourself.

it seems pretty strange to me you buy an ARM rec. and a MAR rec. at the same time and then do a less than flattering you tube video on them as soon as you have one in hand.

for a guy that can't put one together or even set the rivets but you expect me to believe you are a manuf. and design expert???

so, i'm going to put 2+2 together and say you work for some scumbag that tried to steal Bens and Denny's work a while back and make his own recs.- seems to not be working out very well for them right now though.
maybe you shouldn't have slept thru reverse enginering in collage.

and so i'll say it again send back the MAR- whenever you are thru trying to pull the specs. off it of course.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Hillbilly firearms has build 4 absolutely beautiful ARM's for me with Tortort receivers not only do they look fantastic but run 100%. Jeff has always either picked up the phone or called me when I had questions or was trying to help me find the correct parts on builds he has done for me. I plan on sending another kit in a couple of months with yet another Tortort receiver.

my .02
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmmm.
let's see- you called and said you had a problem with the rec.

i did listen to your problem and offered your money back on the cost of the rec. and any engraving you had me do.
nothing more or less than i'd expect if i had bought something.

no feathers ruffled- yet.

that was not good enough- you wanted a free rec.?
and no- after the first telling of all your reasons you are entitled to free rec. my feathers weren't ruffled- but after the 4th or 5th time i got pretty pissed.

i'm not there anymore but- i will simply say it again- ain't gonna happen- not then, not now.

i'll refund the purchase price +whatever you spent on engraving- that is what i offered then and what i offer now.

simply return the rec. as sent to you and a check goes the next day- simple.

the only reason you didn't have your money before is you refused to return the part without getting something for nothing.

so, balls in your court.
send it back- move on.

oh, and just in case you forgot what i told you before Ben has no say in this- the MAR's are my baby and my call not his.

just an update- i checked my tablet for your job- did i mention i love my new software?

strange thing is the first two pics. in your folder are of the repair on the holes.
simple- i wouldn't.
i took those to send to you to show what the deal was when i told you it had been repaired.
and you agreed there would be no issues otherwise i wouldn't have went forward with the engraving and other work.

the next pics. show the engraving and all the extra work you wanted done as you couldn't do it yourself.

it seems pretty strange to me you buy an ARM rec. and a MAR rec. at the same time and then do a less than flattering you tube video on them as soon as you have one in hand.

for a guy that can't put one together or even set the rivets but you expect me to believe you are a manuf. and design expert???

so, i'm going to put 2+2 together and say you work for some scumbag that tried to steal Bens and Denny's work a while back and make his own recs.- seems to not be working out very well for them right now though.
maybe you shouldn't have slept thru reverse enginering in collage.

and so i'll say it again send back the MAR- whenever you are thru trying to pull the specs. off it of course.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I finally got the rifle back from my smith last week, he ran into some health problems and it took him a while to get back in the saddle. I have not shot  it yet but he did in front of me and it functioned fine. One thing that I did notice was dents in the brass about the half way mark, I'm wondering if this is a sign of being over gassed. I know the Galils run slightly overgassed for better functioning and they tend to throw the brass forward and into the next county like a G3, I dunno what can be done about an over gassed AK? I'll be to first to admit I know very little about AKs, I've never cared for any of them except teh Galli simply because the commie AKs are so compact and I'm 6'5" with an 8' 2" reach.  The Galil fits me well and so far I like it it alot, I was just wondering about the brass issue. I'll post pics of the brass later...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Pics of the brass..
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]

That looks about normal for Galils
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That looks about normal for Galils
View Quote

Yup.  They are brass beaters.  Just the way it be.

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol, okay guys thanks. I wasn’t sure....
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
The brass reminds me of the G3, PTR9X rifles!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The brass reminds me of the G3, PTR9X rifles!
View Quote

At least the Galil throws them toward the enemy.  I've been IMPALED by G3 brass.  NOT pretty!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hillbilly firearms has build 4 absolutely beautiful ARM's for me with Tortort receivers not only do they look fantastic but run 100%. Jeff has always either picked up the phone or called me when I had questions or was trying to help me find the correct parts on builds he has done for me. I plan on sending another kit in a couple of months with yet another Tortort receiver.

my .02
View Quote

I want to have him build another for me so damn bad.  The one he built for me is a tack driving, brass hucking MONSTER!!!!!!!!!  I love it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol, okay guys thanks. I wasn't sure....
View Quote

BTW @Ghostface: nice looking gun!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, okay guys thanks. I wasn't sure....

Thank you sir and thanks for answering all of my questions!
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#29]
You are most welcome!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn, sorry for not responding sooner....i should check back more often.

Are you mixing me with someone else?  I ordered 2 new receivers from Tortort...not one new, and one reweld...new...I dont do rewelds.  After I got the first from Ben, sure as shit, it would not fit an IMI bullet guide,  I called you and discussed this, you told me to call Ben, but we discussed and agreed at this point that I would pay you another 194.00 for rivet the bullet guide and trigger guard/mag catch ..How nice would that be.. to finally build on a US receiver with no issues, double checked by the man himself...Jeff Miller........And when I got the receiver from you.. and figured out what had been pulled on me,,,that you had defrauded me out of my money, I called you, called you out and you got pissed, told me to send it back to Ben for a refund..I have never spoke to you since....sorry you dont defraud me and aint getting away with a refund.  Maybe some chump,  not me...I have the receipts ,emails, everything for my purchases and it was not for some subpar second or a reject/reweld.  And the reweld is the tip of the iceberg on your work.  The bullet guide was riveted in cockeyed, the mag catch was riveted to far forward...you machined the hole in the wrong spot again, and selector relief cuts dont even line up with any IMI selcector I own...
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:42:12 AM EDT
[#31]
And when I called Ben about the issues on both receivers...all I wanted was what I had ordered, a replacement, but you refused to make me one....you apparently dont like getting called out for ripping customers off,,,,but Ben said he would get it done one way or another.   Nothing FREE, I had paid nearly 1500.00 for the two, but Ben and I agreed I would keep the two out of spec (one of which was a reweld...to my surprise) and he would get me a Micro...(he can pay you to make it and get it top me some how.)..and he even posted this on the AK files.  Which I have the screen shot of. (just incase he never came thru) Now that boils down to buy one out of spec, one reweld and one (hopefully) correct micro.  Even if they were all in spec thats buy 2 ,get one free, or 33% off, which i agreed was reasonable.
Waited...Waited....fixed the issues with the 2 out off spec the best i could...Waited..installed and headspaced two virgin IMI barrels to the two receivers I was told to keep and I would get the "free" Micro.  nothing so I call Ben, and he says...oh yah, I remember you...sorry can't get you a Micro...how about 10% off you next order....what an insult.  He even conditioned that offer on my hushing up on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#32]
And I never ordered engraving or a scope cut on my receiver. (SAR selector marks and relief cuts on the selector notches only)..you later told me you would just throw that in since I had been waiting for so long. your mill was down, your cat ate my order..ring a bell?  I really didnt want it, but after 3 plus months of waiting I was starting to wonder if i would ever get anything  (you are either loosing it or you confusing me with someone else) and you sure as hell never got my OK on any acceptance of a reweld/repair...nice try..

Again, I aint who you are confusing me with...so 2+2 is equaling 5...I am just a galil enthusiast... not trying to set up a manufacturing plant....I built a few, years ago on IMI receivers...the ones that came with the bullet guide installed as well as the trigger guard and mag catch..they were a pleasure to work with and at 249.99 shipped, I am glad i got in on the deal.  The only reason I know anything more about galils today,  is I have had stop builds on US receivers, set them aside until I had time to examine IMI stubs and compare them to the US receivers that I have built on to figure out were the US manufacture had F'ed it up....and yours was the worst...isnt that ironic..
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I dont know whats in "my folder", but you never sent pics of any repairs to me...and I save all my emails, I do have pics of the receiver before it was shipped, but it already had all the engraving and only a physic could have know their were any repairs...the pics do not include any of the piss poor welding and milling inside the receiver were it was repaired now if you want to resolve this great, but my feathers are starting to ruffle and Ben has been a huge disappointment and a waist of time.  I am not tearing down the receivers I fixed and flushing the time, money, and 2 virgin IMI barrels down the drain after relying on your partners promises, so be a man.  I wanted what I ordered, not what was sent, today it needs to be something reasonable.....so sharpen your pencil...while I figure out how to post pictures on this site...I dont make claims I cant back up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#34]

simple- i wouldn't.
View Quote

Hmm ...That is strange, I never sent you a receiver for repair, I ordered new one.  You never told me a thing about Ben and the MARS being your baby..what do you mean by this???.but why dont you tell me what you think you told me...I am interested in what you think you said...Remember..I paid for a MAR, a new one.  I have the order and receipt...I have all the emails on what I ordered.... I got a reweld/repair....I got pictures you emailed before you shipped and all the repairs are coincidentally hidden in the angles of the pics you took...so please lets hear it how we went from me ordering a new one to me getting a reweld.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have purchased 2 receivers from TORTORT.  Both have problems.  The standard galil was relatively easy to fix and overall is a beautiful receiver, the other was a MICRO receiver that Jeff Miller did (including some custom work)  ...I was shocked that he would send out a receiver that had so many issues.  it should have never have been sold for any thing less that a second, but with his reputation i would have figured it would never have seen the light of day and simply should have been cut in half and tossed in the trash.   I ruffled Jeffs feathers when i called him out on all the problem (included the fact that the trigger and hammer pins had been drilled in the wrong spot, then welded and redrilled) today I am still  waiting for resolution Ben promised.  Its been nearly 8 months since Ben and I agreed on the resolution to the problems,  I will update when resolved.
View Quote

You just got a lifetime ban from the AK files for posting the same crap.

The only things you proved before getting banned (there) is you do not know how to build a Galil , made attempts to extort money from Tort and make baseless accusations about established manufactures and builders.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep- just like a good 'roid- aleays flares up when you least expect it.

hey mods do everyone here a favor and take out the trash like ak files just did.

or at least change his screen name to Tommyroid- truth in advertising and all that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Figure this shit out in private.  There is no need to air this dirty laundry here.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top