Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/7/2019 3:06:42 PM EDT
Atlantic Firearms is now selling ATI Galils:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/galeo-rifle-wood

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/galeo-rifle-poly

Anyone know the skinny?  Is one worth the price tag?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
None have shipped to customers yet.  Atlantic is supposed to be getting them "soon" and I'm sure they'll have videos up for demo purposes when they do.   They won't knowingly sell junk.

ATI had some for demos at SHOT this year, and the folks that played with them liked them.  The real proof will be when they ship.

I am watching with great interest.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
These definitely have my interest.
Im really eager to hear more about them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I played with one at Industry Day at the Range and it shot well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Price looks right , but I would take a wait and see attitude and see how things pan out .
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The specs are weak.  They need much more specific detail.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Aim Surplus has a very few in stock. I ordered one this morning.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Look to be OOS. Only receivers etc available today. May we inquire as to the selling price?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
$999.00.

They only had seven units to sell.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cross-posting from the Galeo thread in the Aim Surplus industry forum since @Bryan_Aim was awesome and hooked us up:

Rifle came in today and looks great! Shipped fast. Low serial number in the 00300 range. Surplus steel mags lock in nice and tight. Orlite mags do not lock in. The original Galil parts on the rifle are well-used, especially the handguard, which, by the way appears to be cut for the bipod. The flash suppressor has the rifle grenade spring/wire near the base. Bayonet lug and bipod mounting base are present.

The rifle came shipped in a hard case with one Tapco mag. Thanks, Aim Surplus!

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
More pics:

Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
that's kinda disappointing that they're using surplus furniture. Banged up surplus is still better than that crap Century was putting on theirs though. Good looking rifle. Bi-pods are going to be even harder to find now.

ETA: noticed no scope mount cut, not that you can find those easily either I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Aim has them in stock now

https://aimsurplus.com/ati-galeo-5-56-rifle-polymer-furniture/?ctk=bbccab94-536c-40ea-b0e5-fa58671899f4
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Placed order with aimsurplus, it now says out of stock again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to be of service
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I want the wood handguards to start shipping to dealers.  The wait is killing me!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I took the bird in the hand approach. You can always pick up a wood handle one later when they get released.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I took the bird in the hand approach. You can always pick up a wood handle one later when they get released.
View Quote
I originally wanted a wood handguard, as well, but I figured I'd rather get whatever is available at the moment and bank on swapping out the plastic with wood if I ever come across a wood handguard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
took mine out today. It ran 100% with the tapco mag   and feels great.

the down side was the surplus steel mags didn't do so well. the fit and lock up was great but the left stack of rounds would not strip off in some of the mags.
the bottom of the bolt would ride right over them
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine came in today as well, same issue original Mags FTF , multiple rounds smashed by bolt . Tapco mag ran fine. Also rear night sight missing . Has regular sport hand guard, which is fine I have extra wood ones . Side folder and grip show normal use. Decent looking rifle.

However if it doesn’t run with original mags, I have no use for it. Will disassemble and clean rifle and mags, and test again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Tapco blows. It’ll be a real shame if these things won’t run on factory mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]
The one I played around with in Indianapolis  was nice. Worth the price tag. If I wasn't trying to get out of debt and stop being poor, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Side bar topic question.

Anyone got a source for wood handgaurds?  I want a set for my galil.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Other than pricing, the barrel ban doesn't bother me.

I'd be happy to get American barrels on most surplus guns, save the German ones.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#26]
The profit margin on these must be insane.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Side bar topic question.

View Quote
You and me both, brother. Short of buying an entire surplus kit I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Side bar topic question.

View Quote
I contacted Ironwood designs and they will do a set for $100 unfinished or $150 finished and you supply the metal hardware.  Yup --pricey

I am in need of a rear handguard holder with carry handle ring.----

also ATI sent me an return label to get this thing right.  I will let you know what they do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you, and please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got hand-cycling my Geleo using a surplus mag. Three times the bolt had trouble catching the base of the cartridge and ended up over-riding it and denting the crap out of the case. I reloaded the mag and it happened again twice. This sucks.

I will wait and see what really happens with a handful of surplus mags when I actually shoot it, but I don't have high hopes. The springs in the mags feel weak.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The profit margin on these must be insane.
View Quote
For who?  I can assure you it is not for the distributor or dealer.  Lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Contact [email protected]

They are making US replicas in a variety of woods. The white oak looks close to the original color.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364261&highlight=Galil
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Chris Bartocci will be doing an extensive review including vid of one being built at ATI on his youtube channel, Small Arms Solutions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Contact [email protected]

They are making US replicas in a variety of woods. The white oak looks close to the original color.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364261&highlight=Galil
View Quote
No way in hell I’d pay that lol. I’d rather rattle can the whole gun than go that route.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No way in hell I’d pay that lol. I’d rather rattle can the whole gun than go that route.
View Quote
My initial sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#36]
2nd attempt with this rifle. Disassembled rifle cleaned all the grease out of it, then went through 5 surplus mags cleaned/lubed reassembled.

Again attempted test fire. Bolt slides over cartridge about every other round smashing unfired casing. FTF after FTF tried 5 surplus mags and tapco that came with rifle. same results with all.

flash hider was also finger tight as well.

Also missing rear night sight.

Save your money until this company can get it right.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
2nd attempt here, as well. 7 surplus steel mags did not feed in my rifle (I have more than 7 mags but gave up trying after 7 in a row). The bolt face seemed to have a difficult time catching the rim of the cartridge to feed it and would over-ride it instead. None of my 4 surplus Orlite mags would lock-in. The Tapco mag that came with the rifle was the only one that would both lock-in and feed just fine. Now I see why ATI ships these rifles with a Tapco mag instead of the surplus steel mags.

The magazine wells of these receivers are out-of-spec.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, sadly I'm hearing more and more examples of this issue with ATI denying any warranty because the rifles work with the magazine provided.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Go figure, get Tapco and ATI involved and we're shocked when they shit out an unreliable weapon?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#40]
"Hopefully we will start to see some feedback from others as these look to be a solid value for 999.00"
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Well that's a shame.  I was looking forward to these.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Attempted contact ATI via email last week, as of yet no return contact what a surprise!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I must have bad luck with US-assembled Israeli weapons. A few years ago I got an Uzi (Group Industries semi-auto) and that thing didn't feed worth a damn, either. I had to sell it at a loss. Now I finally get a Galil and the same thing happens. I guess if I really want to keep this one and use it I'll have to ditch my stash of surplus magazines and stock up on Crapco mags.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I must have bad luck with US-assembled Israeli weapons. A few years ago I got an Uzi (Group Industries semi-auto) and that thing didn't feed worth a damn, either. I had to sell it at a loss. Now I finally get a Galil and the same thing happens. I guess if I really want to keep this one and use it I'll have to ditch my stash of surplus magazines and stock up on Crapco mags.
View Quote
I have a Galil SAR kit build from Jeff Miller and have not had a single problem. That being said, I totally agree most commercial rebuilds of Israeli guns are garbage.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#45]
These things being lemons is probably the worst news of 2019. ATI.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
But is anyone surprised?

ATI is famous for what, those crappy GSG 22lr things? And how often does a domestically produced AK turn out anything other than poorly? Century's attempt was certainly a chronic failure. The only good Galil options are the classic IMI's, a boutique build, or the ACE, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But is anyone surprised?

ATI is famous for what, those crappy GSG 22lr things? And how often does a domestically produced AK turn out anything other than poorly? Century's attempt was certainly a chronic failure. The only good Galil options are the classic IMI's, a boutique build, or the ACE, I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is anyone surprised?

I was really hopeful, maybe they were farming them out. I guess this is why Atlantic hasn't been selling them yet. At least the AF crew keeps their customers first and won't ship crap out.  We need an Atlantic Mfg Galil!

In keeping the Israeli theme, it's like a hot IDF chick, then *bam* pickle surpise!
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We tested 2 rifles and had mixed results with the surplus Galil mags but they did run 100% with the Tapcos. Misha just did his first round of testing on a Galeo rifle .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSoHN287VT4
View Quote
The steel old school Galil mag is like the one thing about that rifle that makes it most unique and iconic. And its not like the alternative is a PMAG or something good. Nobody wants to have a nice rifle that only works with bottom of the barrel mags.

"Hey guys there's an affordable new civilian version of the MP5 available!......but it only works with steel cased Russian ammo and jams when you do the HK slap!" Pass.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#50]
took mine out for the 3rd test, prior have been dismal.

today tested wolf 62 grain, both tapco and OEM mags ran 100%.

Then tested federal 55 grain in both mags, had one bolt ride over on OEM mag tapco had no issue this time.

so its getting better!! still not 100% and still no return email from ATI.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top