Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/1/2018 4:39:31 PM EDT
Greetings All,
I just purchased a galil ARM, and I noticed that the bolt carrier has a lightning cut in it like the newer ace's have. It works smoothly, but I feel like it may not be original. Can anyone verify if any of the original Galil ARMs had a lightening cut in the bolt carrier? Here is a picture:

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
you have an early MAR bolt carrier with an AR/ARM piston.
the lightening cut and the turned down step on the front is straight up MAR.
the step is so the piston can go all the way into a MAR gas block.

I'm guessing the kit you have is from blackthorne- they used these when they were running out of parts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I didn't actually get this from a kit, but bought the gun already built. The question now is, would this work without any issues? Also, I am having the barrel replaced (professionally by two river arms, timed, etc), and I am getting a full ARM parts kit. Would you see any reason why I couln't change out the new bolt and carrier from the parts kit with this old one? Headspace won't be an issue since they are going to do that when they put the new barrel on anyway. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
bolt carrier should work fine.
as long as the new bolt is seated properly there shouldn't be any issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Blackthorne one of those alias names that Hesse Arms used besides Vulcan, to hide the fact that they are producers of questionable products. They seemed to produce rifles from parts kits that tended to be out of spec like Century Arms.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top