Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2018 2:22:30 PM EDT
Aside from needing a way to regulate the gas (like KNS adjustable piston), how is the Galil Ace as a suppressor host?

It’s been on my wishlist of rifles since before IWI announced they’d be bringing them to the US, but I’m concerned that, like it’s AK heritage, it won’t suppress well.

I know that the problem with an AK (once we assume proper concentricity) is the gas system - supersonic gas is escaping the gun where it imparts on the piston. Is the Ace better sealed off from the outside world, or will it have that same pop?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't find the suppressed port noise on my x39 ace to be any more obnoxious than an AR.  That being said, I restricted my gas system rather than venting it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't find the suppressed port noise on my x39 ace to be any more obnoxious than an AR.  That being said, I restricted my gas system rather than venting it.
View Quote
How?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Copied from my posts in another thread.

I have tapped the gas block on my X39 Ace rifle and installed a screw with a port I drilled. Think SCAR gas jet, or Black River Tactical gas ports.

Today, I shot several hundred rounds suppressed, and a hundred or so unsuppressed. 100% function.

10-32 x 1/4 18-8 stainless vented set screw. Drilled 5/64. Think I can go smaller, but need some number bits.

Fired a couple of boxes yesterday with a .070 gas port, unsuppressed (MK18 anybody?). It had full function, but ejection was very tame. I need to put a lot more through it, and might have to go up one size.

I have been shooting it occasionally since then with the .070 port, unsuppressed only, with perfect function.  I am keeping the rifle dirty, and looking forward to cold weather function.  I do want the rifle reliable above all.  That being said, the gun is now reliable with a suppressor mounted, which it certainly was not before.  It is also noticeably softer shooting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Copied from my posts in another thread.

I have tapped the gas block on my X39 Ace rifle and installed a screw with a port I drilled. Think SCAR gas jet, or Black River Tactical gas ports.

Today, I shot several hundred rounds suppressed, and a hundred or so unsuppressed. 100% function.

10-32 x 1/4 18-8 stainless vented set screw. Drilled 5/64. Think I can go smaller, but need some number bits.

Fired a couple of boxes yesterday with a .070 gas port, unsuppressed (MK18 anybody?). It had full function, but ejection was very tame. I need to put a lot more through it, and might have to go up one size.

I have been shooting it occasionally since then with the .070 port, unsuppressed only, with perfect function.  I am keeping the rifle dirty, and looking forward to cold weather function.  I do want the rifle reliable above all.  That being said, the gun is now reliable with a suppressor mounted, which it certainly was not before.  It is also noticeably softer shooting.
View Quote
Photos of your gas port mod would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Photos of your gas port mod would be much appreciated!
View Quote
Here is the only picture I have.  I did a better write up about the process on the AKFiles, but not sure it is cool to link here.

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top