Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 6:34:03 PM EDT
Just some random thoughts...

It certainly is an interesting beast and well worth $1100.  That's not what I paid, but I didn't see the price coming down anytime soon, so I bid on the lowest Gunbroker had available.

I knew it was going to be heavy due to reading the specs (and I accepted that), but it is front heavy.  This isn't as noticeable in the store, but when you add a scope and full mag, it gets very noticeable.  I prefer a more balanced gun (light or heavy) and the only way to pull that off is to magically lighten the front end by a pound, or add weight to the stock.  I haven't found a way to do either.

The accuracy is phenomenal (with its favorite ammo) and well deserving of a scope.  I only have five variations of ammo, so I couldn't test the gamut of what's out there.  Of what I have, the WPA 122 gr. fmj grouped at 3/4" at 50 yds. and the 123 gr. fmj Polyformance and 124 gr. hp Military Classic both grouped right at an inch at 50yds.

Due to the non-flip-down rear sight, the thumb tabs on the rear scope cover required some Dremel reliefs so the cap can pass the ears on the rear sight.

The front sight took a few turns and the rear took a couple.  It was simple enough to zero with the provided tool.  I like that the sights are tritium.

If they had slightly opened the magwell and shortened it enough to accept drums, it would be nearly perfect.  I have had no problems with steel mags and pmags.  Tapcos and smooth-sided polymer Bulgarians are too wide and don't fit.  The Bulgarians are 40-rounders, so I'm going to file and sand those down.  Coincidently, my Golani won't accept polymer Orlites, but has no problem with steel.

I understand the need to keep production costs down, but the stock is not easily replaceable.  I knew the OEM tube is oblong, but I didn't know the attachment is pinned and not threaded.  One cannot simply throw any AR stock on there.  The OEM unit needs to be replaced entirely, or at least from the knuckle-- and even then, you can't use stocks with integral tubes (such as the Magpul UBR and Ergo F93).  You can buy a steel tube with the knuckle, but it's for collapsible stocks only.

When I decide to sink more money into her, it will be for a new trigger that doesn't beat my finger to death.  That is my biggest complaint.  My AKs have slap, but this has punch.

Israeli slings attach easily with the standard paracord, so that was fine.

The cheek riser is fine if you use a tall scope mount.  In my case it is too tall, so I have to go with a jaw weld on the bare stock.  Also, because I didn't want to remove or replace the rear sight, the position of the scope requires me to shorten the stock by a notch to have proper eye relief.

I had read that the top cover is difficult to reinstall.  I was able to do it with my hands and not a mallet, but it required considerable effort.  I have not noticed a shift in impact.

I'm fine with everything else, or at least I can't think of anything else.  Some have complained about the pistol grip, hand guard, and lack of bolt hold-open.  I say hold before you buy so you're not surprised.  The rail covers on the handguard were tight and did not slop around like the ones I've held in stores.  After using for a while, the right rail cover does move very slightly.

As with any new gun, I lubed the hell out of it before hitting the range and she ran smoothly and flawlessly.  That's all I can think of right now.  I hope it helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Great review,. Pics would have been a bonus.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how to attach photos..
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The rear sight is easily removable to clear an optic. Pop the dustcover off and use the provided tool to push the spring loaded pin in. The sight slides off to the rear.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Wanted to keep it configured as a "battle rifle," so I opted for the quick-detach scope mount.  That way, if I have to remove the scope for whatever reason, the rifle is immediately useable.  Yes, I could mount a flip-up rear, but I like the looks of the original.  If I get tired of it, I can always switch it out.  I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with an Aimpoint Micro on a low mount. Lower 1/3rd cowitness is my preference.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch MAC's vids on the ACE, in one of them he shows how to easily re attach the top cover.

I find myself wanting a 5.56 version.  I don't really know what for, but I want it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you put a trigger guard on it or want to put an original Galil trigger guard assy on and take the plastic off you can run drums.
Its a classic Galil receiver under the plastic in the 7.62x39 version.

Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Can a 5.56 model’s pistol grip replaced the same way as the 7.62X39’s?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Great review

I got one since I was tired of sinking money into AKM to make it more "modernized" for my liking.

This thing is built like a tank and will last long time. No nonsense here.

I wasn't really bothered by its folding stock. I found it to be very nice.

Didn't really care for the magwell. Trying to remove polymer part conversion and reading about it by others who has done this. I wish I was that handy as they are. Might have to send it off.

Sight, controls and hand guard (which I replaced it with RS regulate)… it is nicer and somewhat shave some weight off the front part of the rifle.

Overall I am very happy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like the RS Regulate product and was considering buying one.  I am concerned about the weight of it vs. the factory handguard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Update regarding the stock:

The ACE knuckle and original Galil knuckle are not the same and interchangeability is not a simple drag-n-drop.  I really wish I could post pics for this...

Due to wanting to have expedient use of both a scope and the iron sights, I had to add a stock with an adjustable cheek rest.  The oval-ish cross section of the ACE stock tube requires a complete replacement if wanting to use an AR stock.  The rear of the ACE receiver is closer to 90 degrees, whereas the rear of the classic Galil receiver has more of a slant.  Simply knocking out the roll pin from the ACE receiver and attempting to replace the entire unit with an AR buffer tube stock assembly for a Galil will result in the new stock having a funky M79 look.  The knuckle on the ACE is much thinner than the old Galil, but the parts still mate and lock up fine.  You just have to disassemble both stock assemblies, leaving the ACE knuckle in the gun and adding the new replacement buffer tube section.  The pivot pins, springs, and e-clips are the same on both.  Removing the pivot pin is a pain in the ass and the asshole on the Uzitalk forum who claims to know how to do it is full of shit.  The easiest way is to push the base of the pin up until the e-clip clears the top of the knuckle and then pull the e-clip off with a needle-nose pliers.  Luckily, I had a part left over from a wall TV mount.  Basically, a metal piece consisting of a 1/2" long cylindrical peg (just smaller than the pivot pin) attached to a 5"x1" flat base.  Top of peg was taped to prevent marring.  Set that near the edge of the table and pushed the mechanism down on top of it as I described earlier.  While the pin is spring-loaded, it did not shoot the pin out after I took the e-clip off.  The pin eventually fell out, once all of the holes were realigned.  They become misaligned when the pin moves up far enough to remove the e-clip.  You'll understand when you do it.
Everything is great until it's time to fold.  The polymer lower sticks out farther than the metal receiver (remember: we just stuck a part not originally made for this gun onto this gun, and the original Galil doesn't have a polymer lower).  Just that top right corner of the polymer.  Personally, I'm going to Dremel a recess in the metal of the stock where it hits the lower, rather than grind off the polymer.

I hope that was helpful.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Good write up. I initially considered an authentic Galil skeleton stock on an ACE but after reading another guys efforts and yours, I'm tempted to just go with one of the ACE (not the IWI ACE, but the stock company) stocks and the KNS folding hinge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]
A original Galil stock will work with the ACE. Keep the stock mount on the rifle and replace the stock at the pivot pin. It was a direct swap when I did mine.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A original Galil stock will work with the ACE. Keep the stock mount on the rifle and replace the stock at the pivot pin. It was a direct swap when I did mine.

AJ
View Quote
@AubrayJ

did you ever get yours back from the factory after the jamming issues?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I did. Still need to take it out and confirm it's fixed.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

AJ
View Quote
True.  Anyone wanting that look needs to remember that important detail.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good write up. I initially considered an authentic Galil skeleton stock on an ACE but after reading another guys efforts and yours, I'm tempted to just go with one of the ACE (not the IWI ACE, but the stock company) stocks and the KNS folding hinge.
View Quote
Thanks.
I tried the Doublestar/Ace route for one of my AKs and was very disappointed.  Maybe it's a better result on the Galil?  For me, it came down to aesthetics of the giant pivot mounting block.
It's really not a big deal to push out the pivot pin if you want to stick with a Galil skeleton stock.  Awkward?  Yes, but I'd rather do that than mess around with roll pins (and take another chance with Doublestar, since I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last time).
Different strokes...
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks.
I tried the Doublestar/Ace route for one of my AKs and was very disappointed.  Maybe it's a better result on the Galil?  For me, it came down to aesthetics of the giant pivot mounting block.
It's really not a big deal to push out the pivot pin if you want to stick with a Galil skeleton stock.  Awkward?  Yes, but I'd rather do that than mess around with roll pins (and take another chance with Doublestar, since I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last time).
Different strokes...
View Quote
What was wrong with the Ace/DS stock? I'd be doing the fixed stock without the folder hinge. Was it an aesthetics/clunkiness issue or a quality problem? I had a fixed ACE/skeleton stock on an old Krebs AK a few years back and it seemed super solid. Though I never clocked anyone upside the head with it.

Curious to know what the issues were

@AR-Builder-Upper
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What was wrong with the Ace/DS stock? I'd be doing the fixed stock without the folder hinge. Was it an aesthetics/clunkiness issue or a quality problem? I had a fixed ACE/skeleton stock on an old Krebs AK a few years back and it seemed super solid. Though I never clocked anyone upside the head with it.

Curious to know what the issues were

@AR-Builder-Upper
View Quote
Without the hinge, you may be fine.  The folding block sticks out from the back of the receiver about an inch and a half.  From there, you have an additional 5/8 inch of the folding mechanism.  Then there is about 8 3/8 inches of stock.   All of that BS gives me an overall stock length which is about the same as a fixed stock. The problem with this is it looks stupid when the stubby stock is folded and there's all that block and hinge mechanism sticking out the back of the receiver (adding to the folded length), just to have a tiny folded stock.  I've since found a folding stock maker (for non-AR tube dependent stocks) that incorporates the block and hinge under the rear receiver tang.  For the life of me now I can't find that same maker.  Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there. In your particular application, it is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Without the hinge you may be fine.  The folding block sticks out from the back of the receiver about an inch and a half.  From there you have an additional 5/8 inch of the folding mechanism itself.  From there is about 8 3/8 inches of stock.   All of that BS gives me an overall stock length which is about the same a fixed stock. The problem with this is it looks stupid when the stubby stock itself is folded and there's all that block and hinge mechanism sticking out the back of the receiver just to have a tiny folded stock.  I've since found a folding stock maker (for non-AR tube dependent stocks) that incorporates the block and hinge under the rear receiver tang.  For the life of me now I can't find that same maker.  Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there. In your particular application, it is irrelevant.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AJ
View Quote
Pics?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top