Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/13/2018 3:36:57 PM EDT
Yes, the ACE is heavy out of the box.  Then I made it heavier with a scope and QD mount.  She's 10 lbs, 4 oz. with the empty factory mag.

The folding stock ability is non-negotionable.  Is there a mount or a knuckle that just has a threaded recess for AR stocks?  I was thinking about the UBR or something else in that weight class.  Suggestions?

I'd rather lose a pound or two on the front, but I don't see a practical way to do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
KNS Precision has something IIRC
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I know, they're just too bulky and add too much length.  I unfortunately have one for my AK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
An original Galil polymer stock would be lighter, but beyond that you don’t have a lot of choices.

What optic are you using? That’s probably the best place to save weight. I’ve variously used a Trijicon TA44 and an Aimpoint Micro on mine to keep the weig(t to a minimum.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
A lighter rifle would be nice, but this platform is a hulk.  The front end is already too heavy.  A lighter stock would make it worse.  I either need to lighten the front end significantly, or make the back end more heavy. The goal is to balance this rifle as much as possible, hence the idea of a F93 or UBR.

The scope does add weight, but if the rumors of this rifle's accuracy are true, I want to maximize its potential.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine (556 NATO) is a pretty solid 3-3.5 MOA rifle, judging by multiple 10 round groups. I do see a fairly random 0.5MOA shift from having the scope on the dust cover and removing and replacing it for cleaning.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Im wondering if the barrel could be reprofiled/fluted/dimpled..

Balancing the rifle with a different stock will make it even heavier.. not sure if I would enjoy a 5.56 rifle heavy like a FAL..
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
10lb 4 oz???

Damn that's a fat bitch
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
According to my wife’s non-calibrated kitchen scale, the OEM collapsable folding stock weighs 14.8oz.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried the same thing with a new stock and folder mechanism on my SIG 556 after I put on a railed handguard.  I just ended up with a balanced ridiculously heavy rifle...
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I've found that a balanced gun is more maneuverable than an unbalanced gun.  The further the weight is from the muzzle, the less you're fighting the cantilever effect.  I first noticed this with bullpups.  While seeming heavy when not shouldered, once shouldered, the weight seemed less cumbersome because I wasn't fighting the cantilever and the gun was quite maneuverable.  So that's the goal here: shift the balance further toward the rear.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top