Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/25/2010 6:02:57 AM EDT
Just recently got a Golani.  It likes regular brass case ammo just fine, but dents the cases up on ejection and makes them unusable for reloading.  I tried wolf black box with bad results.  Stuck cases.  Had to punch out with a cleaning rod.  I have heard that it is the laquer heating up in the chamber that causes the jams and I have heard it is soot and burn powder from the non expanding steel  cases blowing back into the chamber.  What the hell is the real truth?  Has anyone had any successful experience with other steel case ammos in a golani( Silver Bear, New Hornady ammo etc.)  I want to save my good brass stuff for the AR, but looking for a low cost alternative for the golani.  Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out theboxotruth.com. It's run by a member here named Old_Painless, and is a font of information. I seem to remember a post about this problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cliff Notes version: They got the worst results by running brass case after steel. It seems like the steel case was resulting in more carbon in the chamber and the brass would stick to that. BSW
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot Barnaul steel ammo in my Sako M92. Lacquered casings do get stuck eventually, so I try to avoid using them. Nickel plated casing on the other hand do not have that downside, they work perfectly. I have shot +10k of Russian steel ammunition, and only thing that I suspect was caused by them was a completely worn out extractor. Bolt and the barrel are fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran 240 rounds of the Tula polymer coated stuff through mine today with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
must be Sunday ! bash steel day
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Find a gunsmith and have him run a finish reamer in your chamber.
Century has a habit of not sealing the chamber/muzzle/gas block when they parkerize and the chamber ends up too tight.
Once that's done try the wolf/tula.
It should work fine.
While it's in the shop have the feed ramp checked- it should be almost touching the bottom of the barrel .
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just recently got a Golani.  It likes regular brass case ammo just fine, but dents the cases up on ejection and makes them unusable for reloading.  I tried wolf black box with bad results.  Stuck cases.  Had to punch out with a cleaning rod.  I have heard that it is the laquer heating up in the chamber that causes the jams and I have heard it is soot and burn powder from the non expanding steel  cases blowing back into the chamber.  What the hell is the real truth?  Has anyone had any successful experience with other steel case ammos in a golani( Silver Bear, New Hornady ammo etc.)  I want to save my good brass stuff for the AR, but looking for a low cost alternative for the golani.  Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Wolf Black Box HOLLOW POINT HP  - I have recreated the same problem multiple times in my Century Galil and have seen it at the range in an expensive M4 and have read about it.  Only Wolf Black Box HP.  I bring an old cleaning rod to the range to drop down my barrel and knock out the stuck casing.  had to do the same to the M4.

After about 20 to 40 rounds it happens only on the Wolf HP.  After I hammer out the casing, I can put in ANY other 223 (barnaul sp, fmj, steel case or brass, remington umc, monarch brass, wolf military classic sp) and continue firing endlessly as long as i dont shoot wolf black box hp.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
the truth about steel case is it works best with rounds that have a lot of body taper like 7.62x39 and 5.45
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top