Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:00:11 AM EDT
Hi

Never having seen or held an AR15 mag in my hand before I was just wondering how simular they are in size to a Galil mag. I do realize you can buy an adaptor to make your Galil use AR15 mags but that's not my concern here.

I was just thinking for tactical vest and stuff they always say it can hold AR15 mags. So then it stands to reason that if they can almost work in the Galil that the Galil mags should also be fine for the vests? Or are they Galil mags longer and will not fit in vests designed to accept AR15 mags. The vest in question is the Black Hawk Olmega Shotgun/Rifle vest.

It's going to cost me a good couple of coin to get in it imported and I'll be less than happy if my Galil mags don't fit in the thing.

so i'm all ears. probably a stupid question but i'd rather sound stupid and be well informed than pretend i know everything and have an epic FAIL
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Galil mags are typically 35 rounds so they are a longer length than an AR-15 magazine.

Will not fit in most U.S.G.I. web gear or mag holders.  Might fit some aftermarket gear if it is open topped with elastic to stretch over.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, i figured they are a bit longer. What size are standard ar15 mags? 20 rounds? if so then they will be a lot longer.
but thanks for the tip. So i'm looking for something that is either open ended or has stretchy stuff.

good thing i didn't order that vest then. it would have cost me a fortune to ship to SA and the dollar/rand exchange rate isn't all that hot either and then the thing wouldn't have worked great either.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Pouches that fit AK-74 mags will fit most Galil mags.

That may be more the area you need to look if trying to find gear for Galil.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.israelmilitary.com/web-gear-c-24.html
they have an interesting vest for sale there being for the idf im guessing its for galil /m16 mags  another route you could go would be to check out  
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/
these guys can make, modify and fab up new gear, could send them an email and see what they offer that would work for galil mags , i own some of their gear no complaints here
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info guys. You've been a great help.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you find a SA 83 pattern vest?
It's a nice vest that is well built. I imagine the price would be very reasonable also.
Great rifle BTW.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top