Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2009 10:39:44 PM EDT
I have a GLN-prefix Golani.  I figured, with it being a later build, that the bugs and flaws would be corrected.  I understand Hillbilly Firearms does good work and would not hesitate to send my rifle off to him.  However, being unemployed I'm not in a hurry to spend money where it's not necessary.  But how do I know if it's necessary?  Plus he's running a special that expires soon, so if warranted, I'd like to slip it in the window.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Make no assumptions about a Golani. The only way to find out if you got a good one or not is to take it out and shoot it...I got a good one, and it is my feeling most of them are ok, but there are of course exceptions. Sending it to Tengalil to have it checked out is always a good idea. I love mine. it is my feeling that in order to get a "good" Golani you had to be lucky enough to get a good kit built on a good reciever by a good builder on a good day...
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you know you got a good one?  I think I got a good one.  It functioned fine.  My only complaint is that it it abusive to brass.
Is there someplace I should should check for indicators of improper heat treatment?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not difficult to test the hardness of a receiver without firing it. It would be the preferred method if one is actually wondering about the strength of the gun.

The hardness is measured on the rockwell scale. It can be measured in a machine shop, vocational tech school, smithy, or a enthusiast garage. The tool is simple and punches a tiny dimple into the surface. How far it sinks is due to how soft the metal is.

Test the locking lugs, and various other inconspicuous locations to determine if it is uniformly hard. Yes, it will leave several small marks, but, with the documentation of the results the receiver should be worth more.

The golani is an interesting rifle, this makes it easier to find someone willing to help with such a test.

DB
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top