Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2009 4:29:59 PM EDT

I haven't been this happy in a while.  After reading negative reports on this and the generally crappy reputation of Century's quality, I was getting buyer's remorse before I even took posession of it.

Out of the box, the finish looked great, though I was surprised at how dry it was.  I hit it with compressed air and flushed the exterior with G96 to get the grit off and moisten the steel.  There was a small patch of surface rust (on the inside of the cover) that came off easy with more G96 and a paper towel.  There was a small patch of what looked like copper on the takedown button.  I thought it was rust at first, but oil didn't take it off.  I tried a dental tool, but that didn't work either.  So I oiled it again and left it alone.
I oiled all of the springs, pins, the bolt, and piston.  Greased the hammer face and where the carrier rides.  Cleaned the bore.  There was some kind of muddy gunk at the end of the guide rod, which I flushed with G96.

There were no tritium inserts in the sights.

I paid extra for the nice mags.  The bodies (inside and out) and floorplates were beautiful.  The spring, follower, and bottom plate looked like they were rescued from the Dead Sea.  I doused them with WD40 and let them sit for a while before giving them a top to bottom rubdown with 0000 steel wool.  Then I repeated the process.  That helped.  I've never seen so much rust.

They sent me a WASR manual instead of a Golani one.  I called Century, and they recommended doing a Google search for the Galil manual because it was better than theirs.  He was right.

Reassembly was pretty much straight forward.  It didn't mention that you need to press down against the hammer pressure when reinstalling the carrier assembly.  I've seen a few posts of people having problems with reinstalling the top cover.  Here's what worked for me:
I used the stem of the plastic safety flag (that came with the rifle) to push in the cover release. Make sure not to push it out of the grooves.
Then lower the cover while applying forward pressure to keep the lip of the cover in the recess of the gastube. Watch this because it likes to pop out.
Pull out the flag.
Continue to lower with forward pressure.
It took a few tries. I had to rock it slightly, but it made it into the recess with a nice snap of the release button popping out.

The 100-yard range was closed, so I was stuck with 25 and 50 yds.  I loaded five rounds to start and chambered the first round.  It grouped 7/8" ctc at 25 yds.  It grouped 1 1/4" ctc including a flyer.  I was using American Eagle 55gr fmj.  There were no failures to feed.  There was a stovepipe at round 13.  I know the gun can shoot better than me.
While I did notice the crease in the middle of the empty case, there was noticable wear on an ejected, unfired round.  It also chewed the rim of the case.

I really can't complain.  After I put a few hundred rounds through it with the same results, I'll be completely confident in this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They sent me a WASR manual instead of a Golani one. I called Century, and they recommended doing a Google search for the Galil manual because it was better than theirs. He was right.

Glad to hear you got a good one.
I have read very few negative reviews of this rifle. Not perfect but a fun little gun for the money. Mine goes with me to the range pretty regularly. It gobbles up any and all ammo I feed it.

Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, and...

YOU FORGOT TO POST PICS OF YOUR NEW RIFLE!

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If I send you the pics, will you post them?
Gunny?
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I send you the pics, will you post them?
Gunny?

Of course! Send them on!
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your inbox.  Need a little help.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check your inbox.  Need a little help.

Nothing is showing in my inbox. Send it again.

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes pics please.  I've been debating on getting one of the Century's Golani rifles but was concerned about some of the reviews.  A "Galil" has always been one of my must have rifles next to my AR and AKs.  

James
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I took mine out again last weekend and put another 100 rounds through it. The first round didn't extract, but it was my fault, I overgreased it. Once I wiped the excess grease off the extractor the other 99 rounds went off without a hitch...3 different mags...I was shooting "long" 100 yards part of the time and had no problem keeping 15 rounds in the center of a paper plate! There was good sunlight, and no wind. With my old eyes, (54) thats as good as my AR gets with open sights. But here's the kicker...my wife took the same shot, and put her 15 rounds in the center of another paper plate like it was nothing; and she shoots lefty! (maybe once a year if that)  We popped off the rest of the rounds at cans and had alot of fun. At 100 yards a paper plate looks like a tiny white spot. I showed my wife how the "sight picture" lined up...touching the top of the pin centered in the pair of "diopeter holes" at the bottom of the plate, and they went right in there! Wolf black box 55 grain fmj. Everytime I shoot my Golani, I like it more.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Here you go, AR-Builder-Upper.

Nice rifle btw. I see you got the one with the bayonet lug.

Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you very much for your help!

I wouldn't have bought it without the lug.  It just wouldn't be right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank you very much for your help!

I wouldn't have bought it without the lug.  It just wouldn't be right.

You're welcome.

All the ones I see at gun shows and gun shops around here don't have the lug. I guess that makes ours special.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I also have a great working Golani... haven't had any problems with mine since day one. I also gave mine a good cleaning ( mags too ) before taking it to the range. It did so well that I bought some tactical gear for it...
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2752/199/39/1099557239/n1099557239_30402566_4134613.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2752/199/39/1099557239/n1099557239_30402385_6977495.jpg

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the cheek-piece only beneficial for scope use, or does it work for the iron sights too?
I almost bought one, but I was going to use it on my FAL.  Then I thought about it for the Golani.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reassembly was pretty much straight forward.  It didn't mention that you need to press down against the hammer pressure when reinstalling the carrier assembly.  I've seen a few posts of people having problems with reinstalling the top cover.  Here's what worked for me:
I used the stem of the plastic safety flag (that came with the rifle) to push in the cover release. Make sure not to push it out of the grooves.
Then lower the cover while applying forward pressure to keep the lip of the cover in the recess of the gastube. Watch this because it likes to pop out.
Pull out the flag.
It took a few tries. I had to rock it slightly, but it made it into the recess with a nice snap of the release button popping out.

An easy way to install the front cover is to push the rear of the recoil spring guide forward, just out of its groove. Then push it down slightly & it will stay there on a little ledge. Then put the top cover on, & while holding it down pull the charging handle. The recoil spring guide will pop back into place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I oiled all of the springs, pins, the bolt, and piston.

Glad you got a good, it seems that the Golani's either work well or not at all!

BTW, no need to oil the gas piston. Gas system parts run better dry, and if oiled, will just make it harder to clean. All the hot gas passing over the piston will cook the oil and you will end up with a lot of carbon fowling on the piston... not that this will affect the functioning of the rifle in any way, but will just make it harder to clean. I use scotch-brite to clean my gas pistons, and only if absolutely necessary, will I use CLP - even then I wipe the piston with a dry rag to remove as much of the CLP as possible.

Hope your Golani continues to be a reliable shooter for you.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pull out the flag.

An easy way to install the front cover is to push the rear of the recoil spring guide forward, just out of its groove. Then push it down slightly & it will stay there on a little ledge. Then put the top cover on, & while holding it down pull the charging handle. The recoil spring guide will pop back into place.

Good idea!  I tried setting it just below the grooves, but then couldn't get it to pop back up.  I always ended up pushing it farther down.  I never thought to operate the charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I oiled all of the springs, pins, the bolt, and piston.

Glad you got a good, it seems that the Golani's either work well or not at all!

BTW, no need to oil the gas piston. Gas system parts run better dry, and if oiled, will just make it harder to clean. All the hot gas passing over the piston will cook the oil and you will end up with a lot of carbon fowling on the piston... not that this will affect the functioning of the rifle in any way, but will just make it harder to clean. I use scotch-brite to clean my gas pistons, and only if absolutely necessary, will I use CLP - even then I wipe the piston with a dry rag to remove as much of the CLP as possible.

Hope your Golani continues to be a reliable shooter for you.

I was just going by the IMI Operator's Manual.  Under Chapter 6 Preventive Maintenance, they recommend lubricating the gas cylinder.  I have heard similar notes of caution about lubricating this part.  At least until it's broken in, I don't mind a little extra cleaning.  I wonder about using silicone, seeing how it is non-petroleum?  
I wonder if Bar Keeper's Friend works as well as Scotch-Brite for cleaning the piston?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't worry about having to "break in" a Golani, it ships from CIA with a tag reminding you that you have purchased a used firearm. Just out of curiosity, did you check the headspace before you fired it the first time and/or have you checked it again after putting some rounds through it? Also, are both of the bolt lugs making contact with the receiver?

It is really amazing that these rifles can be so hot or cold... amazing considering the ORF receivers are hot and cold, and the CIA builds as well. A local gun shop around me had six or seven Golanis on the shelf a week and-a-half ago and they are all gone, so people are definitely not shying away from them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one Sunday - mega dittoes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about having to "break in" a Golani, it ships from CIA with a tag reminding you that you have purchased a used firearm.

That's assuming that I bothered to read the other side of that strip which appeared to be inventory nomenclature.  Also, while some of the parts of the rifle are used, most are rifinished to "like new" and when put all together it is a newly built gun... newly built with used parts.  So these newly assembled used parts have not had a chance to marry (aka: break in).  Also, unlike most used military guns that are ooozing cosmoline, the Golanis are bone dry.  If I had bought this gun from someone who had already put a few hundred rounds through it, I wouldn't worry.
Just out of curiosity, did you check the headspace before you fired it the first time and/or have you checked it again after putting some rounds through it?
  No and no.  
Also, are both of the bolt lugs making contact with the receiver?

I have no idea.  How could I tell?
It is really amazing that these rifles can be so hot or cold... amazing considering the ORF receivers are hot and cold, and the CIA builds as well. A local gun shop around me had six or seven Golanis on the shelf a week and-a-half ago and they are all gone, so people are definitely not shying away from them.

I'm still on the fence on whether I should regret not buying six or eight of them; keeping the best three and selling the rest.  I had the money at the time, but wanted to keep it liquid just in case I don't get hired in the next six months.
...That, and my wife would have used the folding stock like a nutcracker on me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got one Sunday - mega dittoes.

Welcome!
How's it working?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
haven't taken it to the range -  no time yet.  the recoil spring is SICK.  I wonder if the puny 45 gr bullets will prove to be too wussy to push the carrier back!  I'm looking forward to trying it on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, are both of the bolt lugs making contact with the receiver?

I have no idea.  How could I tell?

Strip the rifle down and remove the bolt from the carrier. Put the bolt into the receiver and slid it into battery. The bolt does about a quarter turn when the bolt lugs lock up and you should be able to see if both lugs are making contact with the receiver.

My luck was not as good as yours - my Galil clone is visiting with Tenngalil to hopefully have all the bugs worked out (headspace off and only one bolt lug making contact) and have it converted to a SAR.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm...  I'll look into it and let you know.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top