Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 8:55:07 PM EDT
Whats involved with removing the barrel from a Galil?  How about the gas block?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Mstennes - the Galil has nothing in common with the above AK 47 build notes. The Galil has a milled receiver and the barrel just threads right in, no pins involved.

Shotgun News just did a two-part article on building a Galil that is very informative.

I just recently changed out the barrel on my Galil and it was a very easy process. If you have to remove the old barrel first, it helps to heat the receiver first. The barrel flats are 20mm and a breaker bar is helpful. Reinstalling the barrel is just as easy, and you shouldn't need more than 100-125 ft/lbs of torque.

The gas block is pined to the barrel. A press is helpful but not necessary. A non-marring mallet or a block of wood can be used to remove/install the gas block. I have read that it is possible to put too much stress on the barrel with a press if one is not careful.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that, Clonehead.  I was going off other things I read, and this picture too :)  Good to hear from someone who's done it.

www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/galilbuild/pagegalilbuild.htm

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/galilbuild/galilbuild13.jpg
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That picture shows the barrel locked in barrel vise blocks by the hydraulic press, while a receiver wrench is used to tighten the receiver to the barrel.  That is the best way to tighten a threaded receiver/barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
OK thats no problem as I have a 20 ton press in the shop and barrel vise jaws.  Next question how do I and what size do I drill the gas port?  I have a new barrel I want to install.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top