Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2006 6:48:45 AM EDT
$6.50 per vial, shipping included on all orders over $12.60.

www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?s=283fd3e6740863a55bf9b6a08398b329&t=137473

I don't even need any, but I went ahead and ordered three vials anyway - just in case one of mine falls out or gets broken or I get another Yugo or whatever.

UPDATE: If he's out of stock, try this supplier, which Cue recently found:

www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=167361

Link Posted: 12/16/2006 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I might do the same just to refresh the vials on some of mine that are starting to get dim.
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume the size 0 is what I'd need for my M70... has anyone tried these yet?  Any mods to get them to fit?  The size 0 is 1.5 x 3mm - that seems too large for the holes in my sights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
1.5X4.85mm is the size I've bought in the past. Size 1 in this case.

The vials are tinier than you'd think and capping them in with silicone or epoxy is some CLOSE IN work. No mods though. Just poke out the old ones (if there are any) and clean out the holes THOROUGHLY. The new vials are very tiny and very fragile and won't tolerate being forced into the hole.

Link Posted: 12/25/2006 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some size #1's on the way. I hope they fit. I'll let you know. CANCELLED
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The vials are tinier than you'd think and capping them in with silicone or epoxy is some CLOSE IN work. No mods though. Just poke out the old ones (if there are any) and clean out the holes THOROUGHLY. The new vials are very tiny and very fragile and won't tolerate being forced into the hole.

i12.tinypic.com/30ixdms.jpg

Dixie,

Don't those vials stick out a bit?  I guess I'm concerned with them sticking out too much, maybe the sights won't fold down all the way, or they could get broken.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i12.tinypic.com/30ixdms.jpg

Dixie,

Don't those vials stick out a bit?  I guess I'm concerned with them sticking out too much, maybe the sights won't fold down all the way, or they could get broken.

No, not at all.

The vials in the pic above were sold to me as 1.5X4.85mm. I did not personally mike them, but they fit perfectly, with length to spare. The photo makes them look bigger than they are - they are f*ckin' TINY.

Give it a couple days til these three I ordered from this guy arrive, and I'll update this thread. Shadowcop and I will guinea pig them for the rest of you.

Assuming they work, $6.50 each is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE: just got the three vials. They came from Taiwan via US mail, signature required. They're the right size and glow very well.

$19.50 for brand new night sights. Damn. I wish I had found this deal sooner.

Guess I'll just keep them for spares.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Pics please!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pics please!

They're identical to the ones in the pic above.

Here's a couple pics of the sights with new vials installed, though ...

But bear in mind, night sights are a BITCH to photograph with an ordinary point-and-shoot camera. These were the best I could do, but they still don't do the sights any justice at all.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the pics.  I was thinking the went in so that they were kind of sticking out (so that you would be looking at one end or the other).  Is it hard to get them nice and centered, and what did you use to hold them in?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know what size I might need to add a little zest to my SA 1911 front sight post?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics.  I was thinking the went in so that they were kind of sticking out (so that you would be looking at one end or the other).  Is it hard to get them nice and centered, and what did you use to hold them in?

Getting them centered is pretty much effortless. I hope silicone is resistant to CLP, 'cause that's what I used to secure them in. The original ones APPEARED to be held in with silicone, so that's what I went with, although I strongly considered two-part epoxy.

I was lucky enough to have a punch on hand which was the right diameter to poke out the old vials and residual silicone. The front one is tougher since the hole doesn't go clear through. I then blasted out the holes with brake cleaner, followed by compressed air.

I used a toothpick to try and get some silicone into the holes ahead of the new vials.

I cut a q-tip in half and applied just enough silicone to the end of it to make it sticky, and used that to pick up the vials by their ends and stick them in the holes. They slid in effortlessly at that point. Then I packed as much silicone into the holes as I could and wiped off the excess.

The whole process would be ridiculously easy if the vials and the holes weren't so damn TINY.

Oh, one more hint:  a shop light and a magnifying glass helped me a lot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Dixiedawg, I hear ya man about "tiny".  I ordered some from Singapore for $3 each and this is the size they are.  My AB2 just had the glow paint folding sight so I just used clear epoxy and placed them as seen.  I had to rig up a chassis to hold the rifle in a vertical position.  The vials actually were floating around in the epoxy!  I had to constantly recenter them and orient them for a horizontal position and it seems the right side drifted a tad.  The front sight is a vertical mount over the existing glow paint.  

And you are so correct about it being a bitch to get a good pix of the rifle sight and the vials glowing at the same time.  This was my best shot at it and it turned out OK.  

If anyone is interested there is a place on ebay that sells Strontium Aluminate by the ounce.  Around $6 and can be mixed with all sorts of clear paints, gels, finger nail polish, etc.  This powder is the cats meow of glow paint!  Lasts a very long time on a charge.  

Strontium Aluminate, 1 OZ. for $6
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Stargazer! I wondered when you'd show up!

That (hard earned) pic of yours was part of my inspiration to get my own sights done.

I can only imagine the PITA you went through with those non-drilled sights!

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
CANCELLED SHIPMENT
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#16]
It was just brought to my attention about the disclaimer:" Apply for license from the NRC for shipment to the US" Never entered my mind this could be shady. Don't want the NRC knocking on my door!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd sell you these extras I got ... but you being a cop and all, you'd probably turn me in.

ETA: If you want to get them domestically, go to egay and look for user markz.

Be prepared to pay $25 each or so ... ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
This is quoted from the site:

*Tritium/hydrogen vials which sold here ratio for sure less than 1:1000 so they are not regulated.
And only for individuals who buy small amounts of vials for personal use.
*For companies who want to import large amounts, please kindly apply to be "licensed by the NRC" before you import them to USA.

I don't see a problem.  However, I don't know anything about this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I recieved  three #1 green vials today for my M70AB2, they fit perfectly, just a little push with the blunt end of a paper clip, the front sight required pre-placement of a 2-3mm soft plastic shim in the base before pressing the vial down so the vial would be centered properly, I gave the rifle a good shake to check for shifting of the vials, the real test will be at the range when I fire 90-100 rounds through it, I thought about useing epoxy to secure them but couldn't bring myself to do it...I was afraid I would muck it up, I am very pleased with the brightness of these vials and at $6.50 a pop I think I'll order the red and blue vials for my next rifle project.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I recieved  three #1 green vials today for my M70AB2, they fit perfectly, just a little push with the blunt end of a paper clip, the front sight required pre-placement of a 2-3mm soft plastic shim in the base before pressing the vial down so the vial would be centered properly, I gave the rifle a good shake to check for shifting of the vials, the real test will be at the range when I fire 90-100 rounds through it, I thought about useing epoxy to secure them but couldn't bring myself to do it...I was afraid I would muck it up, I am very pleased with the brightness of these vials and at $6.50 a pop I think I'll order the red and blue vials for my next rifle project.

Drummond ... You BETTER at least silicone them in. They weren't designed to just stay in place on their own, and you're almost guaranteed to lose them.

I'm in the process of equipping my .22 Marlin with them. Armordillos beware!

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know which size vial's would fit my M70? Mine are not sideway's all you can see is the end of the vial.

Thank's
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Dixidawg, I will put a touch of clear silicone on the ends to secure,

WLDWLDWEST, the #1 size should fit your M70 perfectly, make sure you remove any glue or silicone from the old sights, my old front sight vial was somewhat difficult to remove, the old vial was encased in silicone and required gentle upward pressure with an awl or pick, takeing care not to break the old vial, as I noted earlier, the front sight required a 2-3mm piece of plastic or the tip of a toothpick be placed prior to the vial to help center it in the sight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank's Drummond, Any trick to removing the old vial's? Could you drill them out with a pin vice maybe?

They seem to be out of the size 0 and size 1 in the green  I'll see if I can get on a list or something.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Get the size #2 they are the closest in size to the orginal yugo vials.
The #2 vials are just a bit smaller so they will not be oversized and will be easier to set into place.
The orginal yugo vials are 8mm and the #2 are 6.5mm long the #1 are 4.85mm so you can see the #2 are the closest to your needs and they are only $1 more.
I have gone with the #2 vials and they are great.
trucking2120
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
wldwldwest, I used a large paper clip with a smooth blunt end to push out the rear two vials and a semi sharp pin to push the front vial up then grasped with tweezer, a hard wooden toothpick may work and lessen the chance of breaking the vial, I would try to avoid drilling out the old vials and dealing with broken glass and residual tritium gas.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Mysteriously enough I picked up my Yugo underfolder to shed tears over my cancelled order and damn if the sights glowed like new.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mysteriously enough I picked up my Yugo underfolder to shed tears over my cancelled order and damn if the sights glowed like new.

You SUCK!
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes Yes I just had the same type of magic happen.had
It could happen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
dixiedog, did you sneak in and install new vials in my Yugo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
dixiedog, did you sneak in and install new vials in my Yugo?

Yeah, you got me.

All that Christmas spirit just got to me, what can I say!
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Hi ya'll, my first post here! I have learned quite alot here already.

I do have a question though. What brand of silicon should I use to install the Tritium vials? Where do I get it? Walmarts, Home Depot? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
A silicone caulk.
If you can get a small tube of black caulk that would most likely look the best.
You only need a small dab and then wipe off the excess.
Yes a Home Depot  or maybe Walmart.
trucking2120
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Auto Zone has a quick dry black silicone. Theoretically, that's what I would use if I was going to install tritium vials in my Yugo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#34]
you sure the no 2 will work? they look too long for the front sight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Positive the #2 will fit from taeagle.
The #2 is actually smaller by about 1mm the #1 is about 3mm smaller.
The #1's are out of the green and have heard the #2 will soon be out of green.
You will want to go with green as that is the brightest of the colors.
If you are thinking of getting some you might want to do it soon.
trucking2120
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I will try they out and let you guys know
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey everyone.  I have a brand new Yugo M70AB2 underfolder that I'd like to install the night sights in.  I can see where the #2 green vial would be a perfect fit for the front sight but which size fits my rear sight?  The circular cutouts for the rear night sights on mine were filled in with green luminescent paint, no vials; the circle is only 1.5mm in diameter and isn't deep enough to hold a vial.  

Dixiedawg, Stargazer111, how did you get your rear sights set up like that?

My rear sight before I scraped the barely glowing paint out of the holes:
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/REAR_SIGHT_1.JPG

Showing how the thin night sight folds down:
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/REAR_SIGHT_2.JPG

Link Posted: 1/8/2007 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I loaded the dots up with fresh paint and let that dry a while.  I then put a drop of clear epoxy on each dot and then placed the vials in the epoxy.  The epoxy seeped over to the metal a bit so it isn't going anywhere.  Works for me for the next decade.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Quoted:
I loaded the dots up with fresh paint and let that dry a while.  I then put a drop of clear epoxy on each dot and then placed the vials in the epoxy.  The epoxy seeped over to the metal a bit so it isn't going anywhere.  Works for me for the next decade.hink
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#40]
You have the earlier rear night sights.
They were painted and the later ones had vials.
I have a 1983 and it has the painted nights sight both front and rear and a 1987 that has vials front and rear and a RPK that only has a front night sight.
Glueing the vials on top of the painted sights is a good way of making do with what you have.
I have not seen any place advertising yugo rear pinned in night sights that take vials.
P.A. Distributing is selling clip on RPK night sights that have vials for $40.
If it were me I would glue them on.
trucking2120
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Well that clears things up, I had no idea that there were two different versions of the night sights, thanks trucking2120.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I ordered some #2 green today, and they are out until late January.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Yugoslavian M95, and it has night sights too, they were getting dull, and I stumbled on this thread..thanks so much DixieDawg, I got my Vials in today. I ordered 6 and a keychain.

My rear sights have a hole drilled all the way thru them, the Vials slip in the holes and you can see them thru a small window in the front...The original vials are longer, but this is no matter, I used a drop of CA glue(Cynoacrolate, you know crazy glue) . The originals are held in with a little Silicone, they slid out easily.

The front sight has a hole drilled in thru the top. I did this one the same way..very clean and neat..:)
Link Posted: 1/17/2007 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#44]
No. 2's work great. got them installed today. I had to do alot of cleaning on the front sight but I finnaly got the vial to fit like I wanted. Rears were no problem. I ended up using super glue on them. Im going to keep an eye on them at the range but I think they will stay in place. best money ive spent on my yugo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got my #2's in, but would you suggest Superglue or silicon to install them? Me think's silicon, as I don't want them in permanently if they break and need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Either one you will have to clean to get the vials out. I figured superglue would hold them in better to the metal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#47]
this thread should be a sticky at the top for the vial information.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Try to stay away from super glue, it might leave a hazey white fume mark around your sights.  

I just used a small amount of sight paint, that way if they break it can easily be replaced since the vials are exposed even when they are installed in the slot.  

I used the #1 vials in green and they fit just fine.  I suppose I could have used #2 for the rear sight.  

height=8
this thread should be a sticky at the top for the vial information.

I agree this does need a sticky.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I would go with the silicone caulk.
#1 is that is what was used originally, must be for a reason.
The #2 reason is that the silicone would dampen the shock on the glass vials when shot.( vials can break very easy)
The #3 reason is getting vials out again in the future when replacement is desired. ( the silicone was easy to remove the first time around, should be for a second time around also)
Now if you have the paint on type of night sights the only way would be to glue on top of the paint.
trucking2120
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#50]
no 1 and 2 are back in stock FWI
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top