Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 2:44:23 PM EDT
I had some problems along the way(as noted in the build forum) now she's almost done. I'm looking to do a battlefield pickup look,so the receiver kinda matches the worn rifle. any suggestions? I don't want to have it blued so I can sand and steel wool it. has anyone used cold blueing? what about light coat of paint to match? I would love some input on this one.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
i used a birchwood-casey cold bluing kit to do my romy. it gets a worn-out look pretty quickly just by normal handling (at least enough to wear away that sleek finish after you apply the rust-proofer wetwipe dealie that comes with it), but it doesn't match the park on the metal at all. it looks fine in general, but i'd say do something else if you wanna go for a real authentic, battelfield worn look.

good luck! and hope to see pics when its done
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Here I can show you that it does take well Templar. Mine look very uniform.
I dont have a better pic of them but it looks really good.
I still have to reblue the fixed stock gun cause of the rivets and I scratched it while building it. I already reblued the folder a second time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Brownells.com Oxpho-blue is the best cold bluing ,and easy to use. I reblued an M59 with the same intentions( battlefield look)and depending on how many times you apply it the darker and newer it will look. Well I kept going and it looks close to new. BTW where did you buy your kit and how was the quality barrel etc. and how much? I'm looking to build a fixed or an underfolder.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the finishing advice...still deciding. I got my kit from a friend, he had 4 and gave me 2.  once they were cleaned, they werent too bad. very strong rifling in both. one had alitlle minor pitting but nothing major. I don't know where he got em from. wish i could get a few more of these, quality of the total build is better than my unissued Romy built on a global trades 1.6. I would compare the smoothness of the action on my M70b1 build to that of my Chicom MAK90. I have yet to fire it... very busy lately, but can't wait!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
not the best pic... but finished with cold blueing then distressed it with steelwool. gave the original wood a couple coats of clear to preserve the used look.just lookin' for a US yugo style grip.shot 30rnds so far. shoots beautiful. I shot a 10" group at 50 yrds. I think that is good for this yugo!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great. So what cold blueing did you use on it ? I bet if you install a brake on the barrel you may inprove on your grouping.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I used some blueing that a friend had for  touching up his guns. can't remember the name, came out ok becuase I planned on taking some back off for the used look. and as far as a muzzle devise goes.... I had to weld the nut on becuase I live in commie NY also took the ears off the bayo lug.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
This guy has USA made Yugo grips for $10 + shipping.  I have no idea of quality, he copied one that he already had so it has a few flaws on it as the original did.  Got to be better than that sharp assed AK grip they sell here though!

Guys name is Fred Thiel @ [email protected]

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top