Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:49:06 PM EDT
hello guys, I have a couple of questions.  Yesterday  I took a long good look at the 3 yugo kits I have and noticed some interesting things.  I bought 3 kits on the first roll out ( about 7 months ago?) cleaned them quickly inspected them quickly and repacked them to wait until some good yugo recievers were out.  I bought 2 undrrfolders and 1 stocked.  The first underfolder has no markings on the rear sight block, but is ingraved on the front trunnion "1986 M70AB2 314xxx", the bore still has good rifling and still has a little shine to it.  The second underfolder on the rear sight block is engraved "Zastava-Kragujevac Yugoslavia", and on the trunion is engraved"1981 M70AB2 XXXXX" in much larger letters almost looks stamped, Bore has poor rifling dark color and some pitting in th elow spots around the gas hole.  OK everything normal so far, now for the stocked.  The third ( the stocked)  has the "Zastava" stuff engraved on the rear sight block, and the trunnion is blank, nothing , no year, no model, no number.  on the right side of the reciever stubb, between the rivits is stamped "B-111xx".  this # matches the stamping on the origional buttstock and the # stamped on the top cover.  The carrier and bolt have no # on them either. So what gives ?  did the yugo's only stamp stunnions on the underfolders and not the stocked?  Why did they stamp the reciver and not the trunnion, and why no # on the carrier or bolt? Or did I seem to get a rifle that had the parts replaced along the way??? Now here is a real mindblower , the bore,  It has to be the most pitted I've ever seen.  All the low spots are pitted, from the muzzle end to the chamber, but the rifling is the most crisp I've seen.  Very straight edges, very defined, and no pitting on the upper lands. Like it was shot a couple of times with corrosive ammo, yhen put away and never cleaned.  Also very dark no shine at all???? So are all of the stocked versions of the yugos no stamped numbers Or is mine just weird ???????????? please help , thanks Dave
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My fixed stock Yugo is marked just like yours but my bore is still shiny with very few pits at all. My under folder is like your underfolders too, its marked and all. Its just how they made them thats all :)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 8 M70 kits, including 2 w/fixed stock.  They are all marked.  Condition varies widely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I had 1 fixed stock kit that had no numbers/writing on the rear sight or trunion at all, what so ever, it only had very light electro pencil numbering on the receiver stub. I figured in was a covert opps weapon, sadly I got rid of that one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Laboverlord, wouldnt you know it.  I just got another Yugo and it has an unmarked trunnion.  It is very much like you described.  The right side of the receiver is marked B-300xx.  The front sight base is marked Zastava...  The RSB marking appears to have been made with a vibrating etching tool and a stencil.  The cover, butt stock and bolt carrier have matching numbers.  The bolt itself is not marked.  And guess what, it is a fixed stock.  The wood is in near perfect condition and the barrel is similar to what you described.  The bolt carrier is covered with dark surface etching.  The blueing is worn, but not coroded or abused.  The launcher valve is stuck.  The rifle appears to have been shot with corrosive ammo, put away without being cleaned and then left in storage.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have an underfolder with a Zastava marked FSB.  In this case the RSB marking is stamped instead of etched.  The trunnion is marked A-487xx, but there are no M70 markings.  The bolt and carrier are also marked.  The condition is a little better than the 300xx SN.  This appears to be a newer gun.

My guess is that these guns are pre model 70s, whatever that makes them.  

The common thread appears to be:
No M70 marking
5 digit S/N preceded by an A or B.  A may mean UF and B may mean fixed.
Zastava marked rear sight base.

Edit:  Changed front to rear (sight base)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info guys, glad to see that I don't have some freakish parts bin kit................Dave
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top